PDA

View Full Version : Newfoundland mountains

johnnyspoke
06-08-2008, 07:08 PM
So, with my wife heading up to Logan to participate in Little Red Riding Hood and the associated festivities on Friday, this seemed like a good opportunity for a guy's weekend. All the usual destinations were among the likely candidates.....Moab, Fruita, Panquitch, St. George. But sometimes, I'll start looking at maps and wondering, "what's there?" Such was the case this last weekend so we decided to check out the Newfoundland mountains.

If you're going to google earth to see where the heck this is, I'll save you a little bit of time. They're west of the Great Salt Lake and quite a ways north of I-80. No man's land. To get out there involves crossing an active Air Force bombing range and <cough> trespassing <cough> on the railroad right of way. However, venture forth we did with map and gps in hand to explore this seldom visited corner of the state.

We arrived late in the evening, and the first order of business was to find a place to camp for the night. A mining ghost camp seemed to be the ticket, and soon we had a good fire going and brats and chips were being consumed. After a good but windy night's sleep, we awoke the next morning and did a little geocaching while hiking up to explore the mines along with the related equipment. We then headed out on the bikes on a fairly uneventful, but primitive road. There were several side canyons to explore with old disused equipment, vehicles, etc. Speaking of vehicles, it looks like when they broke down, they were just left out there. RV's, dump trucks, sedans.... crazy. However, a note of caution. If you WERE to break down out here, it would be a tough job to retrieve your vehicle. It just might become a permanent resident!

After hitting the Air Force range barrier (and setting up a gag shot) we headed back. In another canyon we found another geocache near an old rock structure with a remarakable view. The photographs don't really do it justice.

All in all, this was a pretty cool place to spend the weekend. No, there was no killer singletrack, the riding was really pretty tame. There's lots of killer singletrack in the state though, and very few places like the Newfoundland mountains. It made for a great adventure.

Sombeech
06-09-2008, 06:04 AM
Cool photos :2thumbs:

James_B_Wads2000
06-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Great TR, thanks for the pictures!

Here where exactly are these pumps?

http://www.bogley.com/forum/files/my_pictures_in_newfoundlands_008.jpg

James

johnnyspoke
06-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks, we really had fun and it's pretty land, in it's own way.

If I do this right, there should be a google earth file that you can click on with a placemark where the pumping station is.

Ih8grvty
06-12-2008, 08:38 AM
I used to spend alot of time walking around out there, having a peek and doing some ghost towning and exploration.
That is where I saw the biggest fattest damned rattle snake I have ever seen!
that thing was so fat if you were to pick it up its rolls would hang between your fingers and was easy 6feet long. I didnt count buttons or get a good look for measure, I was turned back talking to my brother and stepped on it, I went straight up in the air and backwards trying to get the hell off and out of striking distance. It was laying between what was left of foundations on a little path. I have never walked and looked back to talk since that day.
Once I was off it and out of range it was mostly disappeared and moving into the rocks and holes on the hillside. THere was what felt like an eternity of standing there trying to decide how to run with it trapped under my foot trying to turn its head back enough to bite me.
The whole experience left me paranoid and sick to my stomach for hours after and still does if I think about it for very long.
Not too far off of that area, or atleast where you access it, theres a beach, you cna see cars coming for miles away, its a nice place for some nekkid fun :mrgreen:

Tumbleweed
06-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Nice writeup and pictures! The terrain out in that area is quite impressive and inspiring. Probably has do to with how the mountains just rise up out of the salt flats. I fly out in the training ranges a few times a week from Hill AFB and am always getting distracted by the view out the canopy. You should try climbing Pilot Peak someday if you like that kind of thing.

Just one correction - those are F-16s you're daring, not F-14s!

James_B_Wads2000
06-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Sweet picture! It that one of those heliograph stations on the summit of Pilot? That one is in good shape. The ones on Ibapah are the best I have seen personally.

James

johnnyspoke
06-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Just one correction - those are F-16s you're daring, not F-14s!

Thanks for the correction! I've thought about climbing some peaks but it seems a little tough on the bike :wink:

That's a great shot you posted. I'd like to get out to pilot peak and poke around sometime. Climbing to the summit for a view like that would be awesome! (without the bike, I presume)

Tumbleweed
06-23-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm not really sure what those rock formations are about...but there are several of them at the peak. They do make good windbreaks though! I've got Ibapah on my short list to climb this year, so hopefully I can check them out down there.

The climb up Pilot was definitely not easy...more like a 2.5 mile/4000' scramble up a scree field and giant boulders. Well worth the view in the end though and since there is no trail you pretty much decide what way to go on your own. Makes for a slightly higher "adventure quotient" as one of my friends likes to say!

It would be way cool if there was a nice trail to ride up the peak...I think it would make a killer technical downhill. Maybe we can convice the FS to build us a trail... :roflol: