jumar
06-06-2008, 06:40 AM
http://media.bonnint.net/slc/522/52278/5227839.jpg

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=3471569

lumber2.jpg
Lumberjack competition gets under way today in Utah County
June 6th, 2008 @ 5:30am

Randall Jeppesen reporting

The world's best lumberjacks will be competing in Utah County this weekend.

If you love to watch hot saws, speed climbs, the underhand chop and boom runs, you're in luck. Thanksgiving Point is hosting the Stihl Timbersports series today and tomorrow.

It's an event where people like Derek Knutson will race up a 60-foot tree. "It takes a lot of practice. I've done these poles in 11 and a half seconds, is my best time," he said.

And who wouldn't want to watch people trying to run across spinning logs in a pool?

Roger Phelps, with Stihl Timbersports, says these competitions are watched around the world. "We've got our ESPN cameras out here. We're actually going to be filming four programs," he said. Those programs will be shown around the world in November.

Scott Leeds with the Utah Sports Commission says it took a lot of work to get this two-day competition here.

"An event like this is huge for the state of Utah," he said. "This event will be showcased (on ESPN2) throughout the world for people to see Utah."

For details on the competition, see the links on this page.

E-mail: rjeppesen@ksl.com

stefan
06-06-2008, 07:46 AM
yes speed climbs -- oldschool logger style. i have to admit the new school tree climbers (mainly hard-core environmentalists/tree sitters and biologists studying the canopy and more, recently, recreationalists) are the more elegant and fun to watch ... though they're climbing furrowed bark with climbing moves rather than smooth poles with climbing spurs and belt.

denaliguide
06-06-2008, 03:19 PM
where will they hold the "dressing up in womens clothing and hanging out in bars." competition?

greyhair biker
06-07-2008, 02:28 PM
where will they hold the "dressing up in womens clothing and hanging out in bars." competition?
...I've always wanted to be a jumberjack...I've got the work all night and sleep all day part down :ne_nau:

JP
06-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I like watching that stuff on ESPN. I wish they had competitions out this way :2thumbs:

Ih8grvty
06-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Where the hell was that at?
I spent the weekend down there, The brides grandpa had a stroke and we we headed south to see him at the provo hospital, never saw or heard anything about this while I was down that way. Who ever is in charge had piss poor marketing and advertising.
Just to let anyone know to avoid having to answer it later...
Her grandpa is doing great, moved out of ICU and is currently in the rehab part, expected to make a full recovery and is 81 years old.
His right side is currently shot, but he can make it work if he tries hard enough, but can not walk. Doing better though and expected to make a full recovery.
We screwed around a bit while down that way, had I know this was going on Id of liked to stop by and checked it out.

Rev. Coyote
06-09-2008, 09:20 AM
I like watching that stuff on ESPN. I wish they had competitions out this way :2thumbs:

There are still some competitions among the forestry schools like Va Tech.

JP
06-09-2008, 09:35 AM
When and where do they hold them? I knew at one time I believe ESPN had one from Vermont, the problem is, it's already happened. I guess if you're not involved in it, you really wouldn't know the dates these competitions take place.