PDA

View Full Version : Underwater housing

shaggy125
06-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Anyone know much about these? Dan? I find housing anywhere from $150 to over $2000, how are the "plastic bag" types? Is it really as easy to make adjustments on the camera as the manufacturer's websites say it is? I really don't want my camera suffering the same fate as my last one (drowning) or get so full of sand it stops working, but I also don't want to be incredibly frustrated trying to mess with settings either. Anyone use one?

CarpeyBiggs
06-04-2008, 09:47 PM
pick your poison. lighweight and cheap, but clumbsy controls of the camera. Or heavy, expensive, but really nice control of the camera...

it's a lose lose. I went with a bag, and it works well, but i only use it with my camera that has button menus. it is hard to get it to spin any dials.

shaggy125
06-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Cool, that's what I was wondering, I didn't see how you could spin dials very easily with a bag. Probably have to use auto focus for everything too, but then again I doubt I will spend what it costs for a hard case (I wish they were as cheap as the case for my video camera). Which bag do you use? The Ewa-Marine's look nicer but are $350 ish, the Dicapac's are probably all I need (only submersible to 5M, but I wouldn't need more than that) and are only $150, but they look kinda cheap and people seem to complain about the lens cover always getting in the way since it's not attached to anything. Tom also has a padded waterproof non-clear bag that you can hang from your neck and just take the camera out when you want to shoot, then put it back in. I might do something like that too. If anyone else has suggestions fire away. I should probably find a photography forum and ask there too.

waltny
06-05-2008, 04:22 PM
There is a huge thread on this over on www.nikoncafe.com (you have a D80 if I remember correctly). I almost went with a canon sd800 and the waterproof case :eek2: , still undecided though. Too much glass to save up for...