PDA

View Full Version : Destination: New Orleans

savanna3313
06-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Well, it's official. I'm heading back to New Orleans for the next few months to help a friend head up a project. It's temporary, but the pay is fantastic and all expenses are paid. With real estate basically in the toilet right now, the timing is perfect! I will be back sometime around Oct. 1. I will be extremely busy, but will have to check in from time to time just to make sure everyone here is behaving! :haha:

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!" Let the good times roll!

:five:

sparker1
06-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Well. Savanna, I hope you enjoy yourself down home. Be good, but not too good. And be careful, but not too careful.

Ih8grvty
06-03-2008, 11:13 AM
I am just a tad bit jealous! Id love a working vacation all expenses paid to New Orleans!

savanna3313
06-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I am just a tad bit jealous! Id love a working vacation all expenses paid to New Orleans!

It's really a cool opportunity, however, I just wish it had been over the winter which seemed never ending this past season. Summertime in New Orleans can be brutal. Summer in Utah is my favorite season. :2thumbs:

savanna3313
06-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Well. Savanna, I hope you enjoy yourself down home. Be good, but not too good. And be careful, but not too careful.

Always. :five:

Iceaxe
06-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Arrrggghhh!!!! you mean I got to find a new realtor to bug? Who is going to keep me up-to-date on everything Draper? :ne_nau:

You will be missed around here.... Good Luck.

:2thumbs:

Ih8grvty
06-03-2008, 02:52 PM

It's really a cool opportunity, however, I just wish it had been over the winter which seemed never ending this past season. Summertime in New Orleans can be brutal. Summer in Utah is my favorite season. :2thumbs:

what do you find more brutal? the summer heat and the humidity? or the stench of the sewers and gutters that are used for sewers?

savanna3313
06-03-2008, 03:02 PM

what do you find more brutal? the summer heat and the humidity? or the stench of the sewers and gutters that are used for sewers?

I can get away from the smell just by going to a different area. You can't escape the heat and humidity unless you just hang inside all the time.

I find the worst smell is when it hasn't rained in awhile and the open canals that run parallel with some of the streets give off quite a stench. Also, the French Quarter during Mardi Gras and any other major festivity can stink pretty bad between the trash and people who don't know how to find a public restroom. :hurryup:

How do you like it when the wind is blowing off the Great Salt Lake with that yucky smell it gives off sometimes? :haha:

savanna3313
06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Arrrggghhh!!!! you mean I got to find a new realtor to bug? Who is going to keep me up-to-date on everything Draper? :ne_nau:

You will be missed around here.... Good Luck.

You can still bug me - and I can still do any research you might need. I would just have to find someone to physically take you out to see something if you were interested. :haha:

Like I said - I will check in from time to time to make sure everyone is behaving themselves! :lol8:

Ih8grvty
06-03-2008, 03:12 PM

I can get away from the smell just by going to a different area. You can't escape the heat and humidity unless you just hang inside all the time.

I find the worst smell is when it hasn't rained in awhile and the open canals that run parallel with some of the streets give off quite a stench. Also, the French Quarter during Mardi Gras and any other major festivity can stink pretty bad between the trash and people who don't know how to find a public restroom. :hurryup:

How do you like it when the wind is blowing off the Great Salt Lake with that yucky smell it gives off sometimes? :haha:

I dont notice the lake so often. only once in a while.
The french quarter especially reeks there though, now i was only there once, and it was in summer, but good hell! sewage is far worse than the GSL. I think that smell is why I hate the walmart so much.
Especially that one in tooele, the north side of that has a serious issue with poop! no matter the time of year, no matter wet or dry, hot or cold, that end of the parking lot smells, reeks, grabs you by the throat and shakes you with the stench of poop!
I hate wally world, but I did love new orleans.

JP
06-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Safe travels and good luck :2thumbs:
Ohh, they're predicting a very bad hurricane season this year :mrgreen: But, that's what they said last year :bootyshake: To their predictions :lol8:

COULD THEY BE RIGHT THIS SEASON (http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/hurricanes/2008-06-03-hurricane-season-prediction_N.htm?csp=34)

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/hurdat/images/Andrew-SSMino.jpg

abirken
06-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh man girl! I'm soooooooooooo jealous. GULF SHRIMP! Dang........eat well, stay safe and don't forget to partake in a little Nawlins' style drinking. Check in when you can.

JP
06-03-2008, 04:26 PM
GULF SHRIMP! Dang.
Gulf Shrimp :haha: Maine/ New England LOBSTER :2thumbs: :slobber1: :slobber1:

abirken
06-03-2008, 04:44 PM
GULF SHRIMP! Dang.
Gulf Shrimp :haha: Maine/ New England LOBSTER :2thumbs: :slobber1: :slobber1:

:slobber1: :slobber1: :slobber1: :slobber1: :slobber1: :slobber1: :slobber1: :slobber1: :slobber1: "Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it."

Gulf shrimp. :2thumbs:

JP
06-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks Bubba Gum Shrimp Factory spokesperson :2thumbs:

I'll take good ole' Maine Lobster and butter...Claws, tails, the entire lobster :2thumbs:

Don't get me wrong, Seafood is my favorite. And it swims or flies it's for me :2thumbs

savanna3313
06-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Safe travels and good luck :2thumbs:
Ohh, they're predicting a very bad hurricane season this year :mrgreen: But, that's what they said last year :bootyshake: To their predictions :lol8:

Since this is where I've spent the majority of my life, I know how to head for the high ground when necessary. :haha:

savanna3313
06-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh man girl! I'm soooooooooooo jealous. GULF SHRIMP! Dang........eat well, stay safe and don't forget to partake in a little Nawlins' style drinking. Check in when you can.

This is going to be non-stop work for a few intense months, but I do believe I can squeeze in a little recreational fun while down there. :five:

JP
06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Since this is where I've spent the majority of my life, I know how to head for the high ground when necessary. :haha:
And I know you wouldn't be caught in this :lol8:

http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/disasters/Storms/Hurricanes/Wilma/wilma_voluntary.jpg

FROGGER
06-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Hope you have fun, sad thing is New Orleans is a dump now... All these years after Katrina and it still looks like crap... Be safe and have fun...

I know you know the area better than i but you should hit Voodoo BBQ while there if you haven't already.... mmmMMMMmmmmmmm

savanna3313
06-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Hope you have fun, sad thing is New Orleans is a dump now... All these years after Katrina and it still looks like crap... Be safe and have fun...

I know you know the area better than i but you should hit Voodoo BBQ while there if you haven't already.... mmmMMMMmmmmmmm

I have to agree - some areas look as they did the day after the levees broke and it's enough to break your heart. I will be in the uptown area of the city - St. Charles Ave garden district - and it faired very well. Thanks for the bbq tip - I haven't ever visited that place. There are the "old faithfuls" of course, but something new is always good. :2thumbs:

FROGGER
06-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co is another fun little place....

greyhair biker
06-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Aw DANG woman :haha: Enjoy yourself and post some reports of da good eats down there. Gonna miss ya! :five:

savanna3313
06-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Aw DANG woman :haha: Enjoy yourself and post some reports of da good eats down there. Gonna miss ya! :five:

I was supposed to leave yesterday, but it will now be tomorrow morning instead. I'll be back in late Sept/early Oct depending on how things go. I will try to get some photos to send back and make you jealous. :eat: I know you're not going to envy the summer heat and humidity though! :knary: :becca:

JP
06-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Have a safe trip :2thumbs:

Ih8grvty
06-09-2008, 05:42 AM

I was supposed to leave yesterday, but it will now be tomorrow morning instead. I'll be back in late Sept/early Oct depending on how things go. I will try to get some photos to send back and make you jealous. :eat: I know you're not going to envy the summer heat and humidity though! :knary: :becca:

I envy that part!
Im good with temps in high 90s and even OK up to 105 or so.The humidity? not so much, but just hot? I like it hot!
Ya know I worked at Magcorp for 10 horrid years, I think it forever screwed me up. when you work in 130 degrees for 12 hour shifts, anything less seems almost pleasant. Iv been out of there for 8 years now, and still my system is not normal! I wear a jacket if its below 80 and a coat if we start hitting 60's.
Bring on the damned heat! its June for hells sake!

tanya
06-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Is it time for you to come home yet?
:ne_nau:

savanna3313
06-29-2008, 11:24 AM

I am back home. :roll:

I guess you missed my reply back to Sparker1 when he asked how things were going for me in New Orleans. I'll post it below:

In regards to NOLA, long story short, I am back in Utah. The building where my friend's new business was supposed to be located, has some serious structural issues which weren't discovered until the city inspector came out to do his review and final occupancy inspection. The original contractor had done a lot of gingerbreading work, and the location is currently deemed uninhabitable. Either the work has to be done correctly (which will take weeks if not a couple of months) or a new location has to be found. The project is pretty much dead in the water for now. Oh well.....I guess things work out the way they're supposed to.

My sister will be back out here in a couple of weeks, and I may drive back with her for a couple of weeks - just depends. Work right now for me here is VERY slow, so I've got a lot of free time on my hands. I've got friends from Houston staying with me thru the 4rth and it's been a lot of fun. It's sort of like being on vacation, but I'd prefer for work to get back to normal. :nod:

tanya
06-29-2008, 01:36 PM

I am back home. :roll:

I guess you missed my reply back to Sparker1 when he asked how things were going for me in New Orleans. I'll post it below:

In regards to NOLA, long story short, I am back in Utah. The building where my friend's new business was supposed to be located, has some serious structural issues which weren't discovered until the city inspector came out to do his review and final occupancy inspection. The original contractor had done a lot of gingerbreading work, and the location is currently deemed uninhabitable. Either the work has to be done correctly (which will take weeks if not a couple of months) or a new location has to be found. The project is pretty much dead in the water for now. Oh well.....I guess things work out the way they're supposed to.

My sister will be back out here in a couple of weeks, and I may drive back with her for a couple of weeks - just depends. Work right now for me here is VERY slow, so I've got a lot of free time on my hands. I've got friends from Houston staying with me thru the 4rth and it's been a lot of fun. It's sort of like being on vacation, but I'd prefer for work to get back to normal. :nod:

Oh good! I won't be sad you are gone then. :haha:

For those with the money this should be a great time to buy a home!

savanna3313
06-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Oh good! I won't be sad you are gone then. :haha:

For those with the money this should be a great time to buy a home!

It's a really good time to buy especially if you're an investor, but the mortgage industry has gotten so tight with their regulations it's hard to get loans through. There's basically no such thing anymore as an investor loan unless you've got a minimum of 20% down and pristine credit. It's truly a buyer's market and someone looking for a new home has a huge inventory from which to select. I also don't think we've quite seen the bottom yet in some areas as far as home prices go, yet other areas have stabilized to some degree.