PDA

View Full Version : Getting into climbing question

phaedrus78
05-31-2008, 08:26 PM
A question to the climbers here. I've climbed and rappelled a lot during my teens, but really low-tech, my dad was a Green Beret so we hit the climbs with rope, biner, and swiss seat. I want to learn more about climbing and current equipment so that we can do some serious mountaineering as the family ages. Also, my oldest son really wants to give climbing a try (he's 7). So my question to you is how should I go about this and is my son too young for lessons/summer camps? How and where are the best ways to go about learning to climb for both me and my son?

Thanks!

edit: spelling :oops:

Don
05-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Have you seen this book? http://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering-Freedom-Hills-Mountaineers/dp/0898868289

I'm just getting into the sport too. This book was recommended by a climbing friend of mine and I have found it to be an amazing resource.
Of course you can't learn how to climb from a book, but there is a lot you can learn from this book.
The next step would be to find a climber friend willing to take you along and teach you stuff.

shaggy125
06-01-2008, 04:30 AM
The freedom of the hills book is a really great resource. If you don't know any climbers that can take you out and show you the ropes some other suggestions would be to go to a climbing gym and talk to the staff. They will give you a rundown on how to top rope (some places I think want you to take a class before, but I know at Momentum in Sandy they teach the basics to everyone on their first visit). From there you can see if they offer more advanced classes, I'd guess most will teach you at least how to lead climb. A good place in the valley that teaches classes and are fairly reasonably priced would be Exum Utah, here is their website:

http://www.exum.ofutah.com/rock.htm

A very fun option would be hire a guide to take you up the West Slabs of Mt. Olympus and just ask lots of questions, I'm sure the guides would teach you a lot.

trackrunner
06-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Everyone's advice was good. As for your son's age I don't see that being a problem. Manufacturers make harnesses for young kids. Unless he is a prodigy I don't think he will be leading 5.14 sometime soon. :haha: But don't let that surprise you little kids can climb well. New adult men to climbing generally rely on their upper body strength and tire out. While little kids will use their legs, which is were the real climbing power and skill comes from. Start out easy and short with the little ones and move up from there. A few years back we did it with my niece and she ended up climbing 5.8

phaedrus78
06-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I did some research on Amazon, before I found this forum, and had seen the reviews on Freedom of the Hills and added to my fathers day wish list - glad to hear the endorsements here as well, really looking forward to it.

trackrunner, thanks fro the responding to the age inquiry, I really want to meet his wants, but I was a bit nervous, since I didn't want to discourage him by letting him get in over his head too soon. I'm thinking about taking him over to momentum to give it a shot.