PDA

View Full Version : driving to noobfest

abirken
05-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Question: If I take I-70 to Hwy 89 heading south into Mt. Carmel/Zion, etc.... will this slow down my drive time? Is this a very windy, scenic road? Not that I mind a more scenic route. Would I be better driving I-70 to the 15 and down? Just curious. Any suggestions, let me know.

nelsonccc
05-22-2008, 09:41 PM
hwy 89 while far more scenic will take forever. First there's traffic and it can be difficult to get around. Second every small town has a cop. Trust me I got a ticket in Fountain Green and again in Circleville on the same trip. Third, it'll take forever.

abirken
05-22-2008, 11:34 PM
hwy 89 while far more scenic will take forever. First there's traffic and it can be difficult to get around. Second every small town has a cop. Trust me I got a ticket in Fountain Green and again in Circleville on the same trip. Third, it'll take forever.

dang ok. Guess it's I-70 to the 15 and south, then back east into the Zion area. I was just wondering how much longer ya think? I don't mind a couple extra hours.

Alex
05-23-2008, 04:43 AM
Ya it's much faster to go I70-I15 route.

oldno7
05-23-2008, 05:28 AM
It couldn't be more than 30 min. difference and probably less. You do slow down through the towns but otherwise go 65. Many of the cops in these small towns are real "dummies". 89 is much more scenic.
Exit I-70 south of Richfield at Joseph.

shaggy125
05-23-2008, 07:24 AM
It couldn't be more than 30 min. difference and probably less. You do slow down through the towns but otherwise go 65. Many of the cops in these small towns are real "dummies". 89 is much more scenic.
Exit I-70 south of Richfield at Joseph.

I've gone both ways from SLC and it would have been about a 30 minute difference, but I waited at the tunnel for forever, so to get to the VC took a bit longer. According to Google Maps, from Grand Junction to Springdale taking the freeway is 5 hrs. 44 min, taking 89 is 6 hours and 4 min. I agree with Oldno7, I doubt it would really add THAT much time. If you go this way you can stop and get some Ho-made pies at the thunderbird!

shaggy125
05-23-2008, 07:31 AM
If you want the REALLY scenic route, take 24 from I-70 to Hanksville, then through Capitol Reef to Highway 12 through Boulder and Escalante, past Bryce Canyon to 89, then down to Zion. One of the most scenic drives in the country... but this one would take a LOT longer, although it's very nice, (you've maybe driven it already).

abirken
05-23-2008, 07:52 AM
If you want the REALLY scenic route, take 24 from I-70 to Hanksville, then through Capitol Reef to Highway 12 through Boulder and Escalante, past Bryce Canyon to 89, then down to Zion. One of the most scenic drives in the country... but this one would take a LOT longer, although it's very nice, (you've maybe driven it already).

No I haven't!! But I will consider that in the future. I think b/c the noobfest is going to be such a quick weekend for me, I may just take the fast route. I'll save the more scenic routes maybe for a long weekend, family road trip this Fall.