PDA

View Full Version : Moab River Trips

FOX
05-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi All! I'm looking to take a youth group to Moab and down the Colorado later this year. I'd like to know from the rest of you experienced boaters where the best "newbie" runs are, who is a good outfitter, etc. I personally haven't done any boating in many years but am looking to get back into it. Any help or info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :2thumbs:

Alex
05-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Moab daily or Green River daily would be your best choices. They are both maybe class 2 stretches and can be as long or as short as you would like.

Moab Daily section is along the hwy going east from Moab along the river. There are a couple of put-in/take out sections.

The Green River Daily is the take out at a nice camp site called Swasey Beach and the put in is by the Neffertiti rapid about 10 miles up dirt road along the river.

Both sections can be ran in a paddle boat, so you can rent 1-2 boats and fit all your passengers in there.

If the time is good for me when you go, I'd gladly offer my gear and services (any excuse to to get out on a river is a good excuse :2thumbs: )

The higher water sections require permits. For example Westwater section is a class 4 canyon. I wouldn't take novice down there, but if you want to hire an outfitter, then it's no big deal. I will post on utahrafters yahoo group to see what the guys think the best outfitters are down there. I never hired one so I wouldn't know.

FOX
05-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Hey thanks Alex! I'll let you know if I need your help. I think the plan right now is to hire an outfitter but if that falls through, it'd be fun to hang out with you on the water for a day or two. :five: See you on the 7th!

Alex
05-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Hmm 7th might be tough, I pulled a permit for Westwater for the 6th, so two days in a row might be a little tough, but we can pull it off :2thumbs: