PDA

View Full Version : High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules

Mtnman1830
05-21-2008, 04:25 PM
High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules
May 21st, 2008 @ 3:35pm

MCMINNVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - High gas prices have driven a Warren County farmer and his sons to hitch a tractor rake to a pair of mules to gather hay from their fields. T.R. Raymond bought Dolly and Molly at the Dixon mule sale last year. Son Danny Raymond trained them and also modified the tractor rake so the mules could pull it.

T.R. Raymond says the mules are slower than a petroleum-powered tractor, but there are benefits.

"This fuel's so high, you can't afford it," he said. "We can feed these mules cheaper than we can buy fuel. That's the truth."

And Danny Raymond says he just likes using the mules around the farm.

"We've been using them quite a bit," he said.

Brother Robert Raymond added, "It's the way of the future."

I have heard stories that back in the day, a bishop of my grandma's church told the farmers not to get rid of their horse-drawn machinery.
Looks like some peope may be finding a use for their yard ornaments.

JP
05-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Funny, I just saw a Save The Children commercial that specifically deals with the cost of fuel and getting their food to needy children in the USA. $1000.00 to fill up one truck. Those are the same rigs that deliver everything we buy from our stores. Amazing.

SAVE THE CHILDREN FUEL DONATIONS (clicky) (http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=usw_fuel&JServSessionIdr007=aaulqx9kj4.app26a)

I'll see if I can get the commercial.

sparker1
05-21-2008, 05:38 PM
We need to revert to railroad distribution of goods, at least for long distance. Trucking has never been efficient, just fast. With the cost of fuel, we should accept some delay in delivery.

For you folks out west, this may not seem pertinent, but back east, everything seems to go by truck.

JP
05-21-2008, 09:17 PM
For you folks out west, this may not seem pertinent, but back east, everything seems to go by truck.
It sure the heck does. All our congested cities have really lost its rail lines. Most were taken up long ago.