PDA

View Full Version : Crawfish For Dinner

Sombeech
05-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Cooking some right now, my mom caught them at Strawberry, about 15.

Any advice/tips?

Jaxx
05-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Search button. Noobs. :roll:

:haha:

http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8755

Sombeech
05-21-2008, 04:25 PM
I mean the actual cooking. I understand you get the water boiling, drop em in, and leave them til they're red?

KapitanSparrow
05-21-2008, 04:26 PM
I mean the actual cooking. I understand you get the water boiling, drop em in, and leave them til they're red?

I think that's pretty much it. Cover your ears, they may cry.

JP
05-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Savanna should be able to get ya a few pointers :2thumbs:

Gutpiler_Utahn
05-21-2008, 05:06 PM
That's right. Just like lobster. They CAN make a noise that some think sounds like a scream but is actually the release of pressure inside the shell.

I do love me some crawdads with lemon and butter... Mmm-boy! :2thumbs:

savanna3313
05-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Savanna should be able to get ya a few pointers :2thumbs:

Most crawfish boils consist of hundreds of the little devils being thrown into the pot. These must be some pretty big crawdads. :eek2: Most folks I know use tons of fresh garlic pods and lemon halfs added to a crab or crawfish seasoning bag.

Just make sure you don't overcook them because then it's hard to get the meat out of the shell. Down south they throw everything from fresh corn on the cob to mushrooms in the boiling pot.

sparker1
05-21-2008, 05:35 PM
They should go through a salt process (to purge their contents...yuck) before the boil.

donny h
05-21-2008, 06:46 PM
They should go through a salt process (to purge their contents...yuck) before the boil.

Good advice. Salt and warm water.

Most crawfish boils consist of hundreds of the little devils being thrown into the pot. These must be some pretty big crawdads. :eek2:

They do get pretty big in Utah, here's some from Flaming Gorge:

savanna3313
05-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Most crawfish boils consist of hundreds of the little devils being thrown into the pot. These must be some pretty big crawdads. :eek2:

Wow......that's impressive! I didn't know they grew them so big out here. That's about 3-4x the size of a standard one back home.

Sombeech
05-21-2008, 07:14 PM
I didn't count, but there were about 15. Sorry, they were boiling when I asked, so didn't have time to check the responses. :lol8:

Here are the results.

KapitanSparrow
05-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Nice. How did they taste like?

abirken
05-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh GOD. I think I am going back to vegetarianism after seeing that. It's kind of traumatic. Boiling something alive? Poor lil' souls. :cry1:

Sombeech
05-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Boiling something alive?

You should see the video :roflol:

Alex
05-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Oh dude, you could have invited us! Looks so yum!

abirken
05-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Boiling something alive?

I'm not coming back to this thread........ :eek2: I'm gonna go eat a carrot now. :lol8:

KapitanSparrow
05-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Carrot?! At this time of the night?

abirken
05-21-2008, 08:59 PM

No not really. It's just me and my cup of hot tea this time of night. :haha:

KapitanSparrow
05-21-2008, 09:04 PM

No not really. It's just me and my cup of hot tea this time of night. :haha:

Even if? There's nothing wrong with having a carrot any time of the day or night ;-)

JP
05-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Most crawfish boils consist of hundreds of the little devils being thrown into the pot. These must be some pretty big crawdads.
Somehow I knew you would know :haha:

savanna3313
05-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Most crawfish boils consist of hundreds of the little devils being thrown into the pot. These must be some pretty big crawdads.
Somehow I knew you would know :haha:

I usualy preferred a shrimp or crab boil to crawfish, but only because Louisiana crawfish are on the tiny side and it's a lot of work for a little bit of meat. Looks like I need to find some Rocky Mountain crawfish! :2thumbs:

JP
05-21-2008, 09:52 PM
I usualy preferred a shrimp or crab boil to crawfish
Lobster, shrimp and crab here. Gotta love Lobster :2thumbs: Big crawfish :roflol:

rockgremlin
05-22-2008, 06:50 AM
I hope you purged them in salt water BEFORE boiling them. Otherwise they might taste a wee bit gamey/musty.

You never commented on the taste. How did they turn out?

accadacca
05-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Cover your ears, they may cry.
:haha:

UTJetdog
05-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Just an FYI, transporting live crawfish in Utah is against the law and if you are caught it can carry heavy penalties. That little bit of legislation creates some challenges for wouldbe crawfishers because the quality of uncooked crawfish deteriorates quickly after they die if not kept very cold. And, unless you are spending a day or two at the capture site, it makes purging them impossible.

Some people just remove the tails and claws and throw them on ice to take home. Others take their stove to the lake and cook them there. But that still doesn't eliminate the "purging". problem. One solution is to simply remove the vein in the tail. You can do this quite easily by simply taking the middle/top fin on the tail between your thumb and index finger and simultaneously pulling and twisting the fin back and away from the tail. The vein usually comes right out with the fin. This is best done before cooking.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s20/UTJetdog/crawfish.jpg

As far as cooking them, Zatarans shrimp and crab boil is available in a lot of supermarkets around here and it makes a very good boil. You can find it in liquid or dry form on the spice aisle. Just follow the directions and add a couple of halved lemons, and some cayenne pepper to taste. Just don't overcook them too much and try to cool them down quickly when they're done. I like to cook them until they just turn red, then turn off the heat and let them finish by steeping in the boil for 10 minutes or so - that way they absorb more of the flavor of the boil without overcooking.

A lot of people will also add new potatoes and corn on the cob in the boil right along with the crawfish and they make excellent sides that get cooked all in one pot.

Just remember that eating crawfish should be a complete experience. You do have to work hard to get a little meat, but if you have some good drink, good sides, good company and maybe a good movie or ball game on, it is a lot of fun and very tasty way to spend a couple of hours.

Good luck! Love 'em ditch bugs... :2thumbs:

sparker1
05-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Wow......that's impressive! I didn't know they grew them so big out here. That's about 3-4x the size of a standard one back home.

Now Savanna, size isn't everything.

savanna3313
05-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Now Savanna, size isn't everything.

Darlin'........I've been hearing that for years and years..... :haha:

Iceaxe
05-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Down south they throw everything from fresh corn on the cob to mushrooms in the boiling pot.

You can order the crawfish pot dinner at Joe's Crab Shack.... pretty dang good...

Sombeech
05-22-2008, 04:47 PM
By the way, they finally hit me today, about 22 hours later. :eek2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTzRhQLKXcA

abirken
05-22-2008, 06:47 PM
By the way, they finally hit me today, about 22 hours later. :eek2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTzRhQLKXcA

Pepto Bismol takes care of that 22 hour later feeling......... :haha:

moabfool
05-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Boiling something alive?

I'm not coming back to this thread........ :eek2: I'm gonna go eat a carrot now. :lol8:

That carrot you're eating is still alive :cry1:

abirken
05-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Boiling something alive?

That carrot you're eating is still alive :cry1:

Liar :lol8: