PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Plans -> Where, When, Who, What?

accadacca
05-20-2008, 11:10 PM
What ya'llz doin'z. Anybody going to venture out into the traffic and consume large amounts of petroleum? According to my wife I'll be doing housework. :lol8:

Mtnman1830
05-20-2008, 11:11 PM
I ain't doin nuttin. Stay home, away from people.

The next week, Mesa Verde.

JP
05-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Picnic and fishing right now, maybe a little 4wheeling (me taking pics anyway). Ahh, grilled veggies :haha:

stefan
05-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Memorial Day Plans -> Where, When, Who, What?

how ... and to what extent?

http://forstud.org.ua/style_emoticons/default/cj.gif ... http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/sc/dd.gif

Randi
05-20-2008, 11:30 PM
What ya'llz doin'z. Anybody going to venture out into the traffic and consume large amounts of petroleum? According to my wife I'll be doing housework. :lol8:

Pisces=easily persuaded! Ha!

I'm heading out of town on Th. at 3PM right after work! Yipee!!!
I have a permit for Heaps, but it looks like it's gonna be raining : (

I was gonna head to Escalante for a week afterwards, so I will probably do only that...and it's raining there too...maybe I'll get to see an epic flash flood somewhere along the way :2thumbs:

That would make the drive worth it even if I don't do canyons! :mrgreen:

Win
05-21-2008, 05:27 AM
We have our "daughter" here for a few days. Tonite we head out to Escalante and hopefully get to do Lower Calf Creek in the AM. From there we're going to Hanksville and try to hike Horseshoe Canyon on Fri and Little Wild Horse on Sat.

Weather looks iffy but I'm sure we'll be able to get some hikes in. Is Horseshoe a flash flood potential?

Win

shaggy125
05-21-2008, 05:31 AM
I'll be savin lives... which is another way of saying I'll be working... but I get holiday pay and 8 hours of vacation time to use when the crowds subside so it's all good to me.

BruteForce
05-21-2008, 05:35 AM
We're heading to Fillmore. We're going to park our RV and stay at the KOA, then ATV around Chalk Creek and then head south through Adelaide and get up as high on the Paiute as possible. If passable, we're going to cross I70 at the Fremont Indian Museum and catch some of the 01 before turning around and heading back to Fillmore. We hope to get in around 140 miles on that trip (on the quads).

** Weather Permitting ** :hail2thechief:

Ih8grvty
05-21-2008, 06:25 AM
I will be...
Home! I had planned on being OUT someplace, but more work to do than I had thought when I bought the motorhome to restore and so Im a bit behind the schedule. Got a friend that has flight landing saturday night so I got to be around to pick him up anyways. Work on that damned motorhome, see if I can finish putting a garden in and try to clean out the pond, get the waterfall running again, and see if I can sneak in a short fishing trip someplace close by for a few hours one evening.
So my holiday weekend sucks. But when the uintas open up, and I can go stay in a the motorhome, not to mention being able to pull a winter camp trip in it and some cross country skiing, then its going to be worth not getting out like I normally have done in the past and just stayed in the tents.
Maybe Ill even get time to check out Bogley, but Id rather be out living life on weekends than sitting here reading about someone else doing it.

abirken
05-21-2008, 07:02 AM
We have our "daughter" here for a few days. Tonite we head out to Escalante and hopefully get to do Lower Calf Creek in the AM. From there we're going to Hanksville and try to hike Horseshoe Canyon on Fri and Little Wild Horse on Sat.

Weather looks iffy but I'm sure we'll be able to get some hikes in. Is Horseshoe a flash flood potential?

Win

I was just at Horseshoe Canyon this past weekend and I do believe it has a potential. There was a sign and photo posted under the awning at the trailhead showing the flashflood of 1999. People wading out with their packs on their heads. But I think it's a relatively low potential considering many others that are much higher. HAVE FUN!! Hiking back up in the sand was a butt kicker. :2thumbs:

abirken
05-21-2008, 07:04 AM
I have to work this Saturday but other than that we may just take the kids to do some local camping on Sunday night. I can't possibly get in the car and drive anywhere this weekend. :lol8:

KapitanSparrow
05-21-2008, 07:06 AM
I will try some local hikes. Also need to clean my kitchen, it's a mess. And vacuum as I have two cats. Lazy bums don't do anything productive around the house except look pretty and pretend that they love me, heh.

Win
05-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Thanks, Alison :2thumbs:

Win

fourtycal
05-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Anybody going to venture out into the traffic and consume large amounts of petroleum?

Yes :2thumbs: From Salt lake to the south side of the Blue Mountains north of Blanding with the camper and atv's. About 630 miles round trip at maybe 10mpg. :eek2:

abirken
05-21-2008, 07:09 AM
I will try some local hikes. Also need to clean my kitchen, it's a mess. And vacuum as I have two cats. Lazy bums don't do anything productive around the house except look pretty and pretend that they love me, heh.

Man I think your cats are related to mine. They seem to do the same thing. :lol8:

KapitanSparrow
05-21-2008, 07:12 AM

Man I think your cats are related to mine. They seem to do the same thing. :lol8:

Yeah, I think it's something in their genes. They're convinced of their superiority over all other creatures as much as they are certain of their cuteness, grace, etc. Narcissistic fur balls, heh.

shaggy125
05-21-2008, 07:13 AM
I have two cats. Lazy bums don't do anything productive around the house except look pretty and pretend that they love me, heh.

Hope I don't end up hijacking but I had to throw this one in. What is the difference between cats and dogs? A dog thinks "this guy feeds me, bathes me, plays with me... man he must be God!" A cat thinks "Wow this guy feeds me, bathes me, plays with me... I must be God!"

abirken
05-21-2008, 07:14 AM

Yeah, I think it's something in their genes. They're convinced of their superiority over all other creatures as much as they are certain of their cuteness, grace, etc. Narcissistic fur balls, heh.

And this is true!! I wouldn't want them any other way. HEHE!! It's why we are 'cat people'. :2thumbs:

KapitanSparrow
05-21-2008, 07:18 AM
And this is true!! I wouldn't want them any other way. HEHE!! It's why we are 'cat people'. :2thumbs:

I completely agree. But I also love dogs, will have one again sooner or later.

shlingdawg
05-21-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm on my way back to Utah for 9 days. :nod:

Gutpiler_Utahn
05-21-2008, 12:15 PM
NOT a cat person here... I just tolerate them under certain circumstances. :eek2:

As for this weekend, my fiance is having her kids go be with their dad for the summer and its the first time they've been apart for more than a week. So, I'm sure I'll be comforting her most of the weekend. I'm also going to FINALLY see Iron Man. :popcorn:

accadacca
05-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Anybody going to venture out into the traffic and consume large amounts of petroleum?

Yes :2thumbs: From Salt lake to the south side of the Blue Mountains north of Blanding with the camper and atv's. About 630 miles round trip at maybe 10mpg. :eek2:
Report back on how much fuel you use on the trip. :haha:

Don
05-21-2008, 12:27 PM
NOT a cat person here... I just tolerate them under certain circumstances. :eek2:

As for this weekend, my fiance is having her kids go be with their dad for the summer and its the first time they've been apart for more than a week. So, I'm sure I'll be comforting her most of the weekend. I'm also going to FINALLY see Iron Man. :popcorn:

I could have sworn your post said something about lots of sex a minute ago... Now it mentions comforting her. You afraid she will read it? :roflol:

Gutpiler_Utahn
05-21-2008, 12:46 PM
:naughty: What? Huh?

I took that part out because I felt it was a bit on the tacky side. :bootyshake:

savanna3313
05-21-2008, 05:48 PM

I'm a cat person too. I love dogs too (all animals in fact) but the way I work, it's nice to have a pet that is self maintained for the most part. :2thumbs:

KapitanSparrow
05-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Here are my two fur balls. Sorry, forgot how to msake the pic smaller.

hank moon
05-21-2008, 06:07 PM

Flash flood potential in Horseshoe is relatively low, but certainly there. I'd be more concerned with little wild horse...

http://climb-utah.com/SRS/flashflood.htm

savanna3313
05-21-2008, 06:35 PM

They are precious! :2thumbs:

As for the weekend I've got family in for a week and we had a new member added to our family just today, so there will surely be a tribal gathering somewhere this weekend. The new addition is a little girl (another belle added to the lineage) :five: blue eyes and dark hair just like her Auntie Savanna. :2thumbs:

erial
05-21-2008, 06:45 PM
for me, same as last year: jammin'

http://www.amjam.net/

abirken
05-21-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm a cat person too. I love dogs too (all animals in fact) but the way I work, it's nice to have a pet that is self maintained for the most part. :2thumbs:

Such a purty girl Miss Tasha is!!!! :nod:

abirken
05-21-2008, 07:13 PM

Oh my goodness. I'm in love. It's official. Your kittens are just darling!! :haha:

Don
05-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Not really my cat, used to be but the ex got him. Kinda miss that quirky cat.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk93/CanyonBruises/Small%20in%20threads/22Feb2007001Medium.jpg

Edit: Oh, and the thread is about plans; I'll be in the Swell with Josh, kids and friends.

abirken
05-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Not really my cat, used to be but the ex got him. Kinda miss that quirky cat.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk93/CanyonBruises/Small%20in%20threads/22Feb2007001Medium.jpg

Your kitty that really isn't yours is really a darling kitty. I have 3 kitties but I can't find any photos. I am also an avid bird lover and have 4 birds. The pic here is of my Tingo Talingo, my ferocious African Grey.

abirken
05-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Oh and yup, this thread is not the pet lovers thread, although it's turned into one. HEHE!! I think I am about to buy tickets to see Mike Ness up in Aspen for Sunday night. It'll be strange with no Social D, but gotta go support the old man. :2thumbs:

KapitanSparrow
05-21-2008, 09:07 PM
As this the parrot you can teach your name and adress and how to curse visitors?

abirken
05-21-2008, 09:09 PM
As this the parrot you can teach your name and adress and how to curse visitors?

I've tried my hardest to get this bird to drop the F'bomb. But she's not into it. Instead she sings Pavaratti. HAHA!! And yes I did read the article about the Grey in Japan this morning...............everyone I know sent me the article b/c they know I love birds. :) Getting a new tattoo next week. Peacock/hearts and flowers.

KapitanSparrow
05-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Heh. I'm thinking of getting a tatoo of a sparrow. But the animated kind, perhaps one with PL and US flags, heh.

abirken
05-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Heh. I'm thinking of getting a tatoo of a sparrow. But the animated kind, perhaps one with PL and US flags, heh.

I LOVE hot rod tattoos!!! The sparrows are awesome. Good choice. :2thumbs:

Cirrus2000
05-21-2008, 09:56 PM
We don't get Memorial Day up here - we had a holiday weekend last weekend. Victoria Day. I worked the whole thing. Got a little extra cash, though. As of this evening, I'm off for 8 days - back to work on Friday the 30th. And tomorrow's my birthday - the big Four Three! Getting a Find Me Spot satellite thingy, then going to see an Indy matinee , and finally out for dinner in celebration.

On Sunday I'm leaving for a 4 night solo backpack trip in the Stein Valley - about 4 hours from home. This is one of the last complete intact drainages - never logged - in the area. Not sure how far up the valley I'll get (going up then back down, rather than a through trip) but hoping to go fairly high, if I can make good time. Only problem is, the 2-car cable ferry that crosses the Fraser River to the trailhead is out of service because of high water levels and debris, which changes the 4 hour drive into a 6 hour drive to get around the other way. With any luck, it will be open again by Sunday, or at least when I get back out on Thursday. Either way, quite a bit of petroleum burned...

Oh, and I don't like cats. That is, until they come up and are friendly. Then they're OK. But the concept of cats pisses me off. "Oh yeah, 'screw me' huh? Well screw you!" Damn arrogant things.

Dogs I love. Birds I love. Rodents I love (except when they get into my backpack or food cache).

And I'm hoping to see bears next week...

Oh, and Social Distortion - I've always liked their sound, but never seen them live.

JP
05-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Me photographing bees and my dog watching them as well :haha:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/SDIM1893.jpg

accadacca
05-22-2008, 04:13 PM
That dawg looks like it is in a trance. :haha:

Bet thew freeways will jam up with campers and trailers tomorrow afternoon.

I have my weekend set:
- Get mulch
- Till garden
- Plant garden
- Sand deck
- Paint deck
- Unpack my garage

Stellar I know. :bootyshake:

RugerShooter
05-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Heading down to Delta to go camping & ride the new 4-wheeler the Wife bought me for my birthday :2thumbs:

abirken
05-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh, and Social Distortion - I've always liked their sound, but never seen them live.

If you ever get a chance......go see Social D. Lot of fun! Old school punk rock...songs that take me back. But the Supersuckers are from Seattle (more up your way) so I wonder if they don't play often in BC? They are alot of fun to see live. Just all about Sex, drugs and Rock N Roll........ (I'm a little too old for the drug part but I'll take everything else). :2thumbs:

abirken
05-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Me photographing bees and my dog watching them as well :haha:

Pretty Puppy!! :2thumbs:

Gutpiler_Utahn
05-22-2008, 07:12 PM
So I take it nobody is interested in a Bogley bar-b-que, weather permitting. :ne_nau:

KapitanSparrow
05-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Seagram's Gin 1.75l was on sale again at the local happy store ;-) Geez I am so westernized. What happened to good ol' wodka, jar of marinated herrings, pickles, dark bread :ne_nau:

BruteForce
05-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Well, we're now settled into the Fillmore KOA with our 31' RV and 3 ATV's. The weather's a little rough still (thunder, heavy rain, etc), but it should make for a nice mud bogging adventure tomorrow morning!

What is everyone else doing?

Isn't Cellular broadband awesome!?!?!

Udink
05-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Well, we're now settled into the Fillmore KOA with our 31' RV and 3 ATV's. The weather's a little rough still (thunder, heavy rain, etc), but it should make for a nice mud bogging adventure tomorrow morning!
I'm envious--I'm too chicken to go out in this weather. :lol8: I was going to take my family camping this weekend in Huntington Canyon, but the weather scared me off.

Instead, it's looking like we'll stick around town and possibly ride our ATVs nearby on Sunday if the weather clears up for a couple of hours. I might also go on a hike and explore some old mine workings near Kenilworth, hoping to find an old mine shaft to check out. :eek2:

Alex
05-23-2008, 08:23 PM
I am sitting on the beach right now, watching the sunset and posting on Bogley.... in La Jolla, California :haha:

BruteForce
05-23-2008, 08:33 PM
I am sitting on the beach right now, watching the sunset and posting on Bogley.... in La Jolla, California :haha:

Nice! The wife and I (without kids) frequent a place right on the beach in La Jolla. Suffice it to say, if I drive my Durango down there, its the ONLY American can for 20 miles. :ne_nau:

greyhair biker
05-23-2008, 09:05 PM
my weekend...hmmm...lots of yardwork, greenhouse and outside garden to plant, crap to take to the dump...and that's all in between customers in the bikeshop. eight bikes going out saturday...gotta get the trailer ready to camp in IF it stops raining. Started it all of tonight by going out to see the new Indiana Jones movie...great stuff!!! - the movie, not the extra work :nod: :2thumbs:

BruteForce
05-24-2008, 05:57 AM
Wow! A little sprinkling last night and I awoke to blazing sunshine and minimal clouds. I'm so glad we decided to head down here for some muddy ATV'ing!

Looks like the weather will hold after all!

JP
05-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Picnic today. I'm bringing my chicken, 7 Layer Bars for everybody else and my veggie dish :haha: Fishing in 1/2 hour :2thumbs: Picnic @ 3

savanna3313
05-24-2008, 12:18 PM

Are you "on" the beach or "in" the beach? :lol8: Ok.....0k.....I'll stop - I promise.

:deadhorse:

Felicia
05-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Leaving for Palm Springs.....when we get around to it. :nod:

abirken
05-24-2008, 01:34 PM

Hope its warmer there than it is here........................rain rain go away, come again some other day. :ne_nau:

Alex
05-24-2008, 02:23 PM

Are you "on" the beach or "in" the beach? :lol8: Ok.....0k.....I'll stop - I promise.

Well depends, when the kids buried me in sand, I was in the beach. When I was bathing in the sun with some tan lotion on me, I was on the beach :haha:

greyhair biker
05-24-2008, 07:19 PM

Well depends, when the kids buried me in sand, I was in the beach. When I was bathing in the sun with some tan lotion on me, I was on the beach :haha:

I am JEALOUS! the beach is calling my name - again. I spent the day in the bikeshop...yeah, the entire day...incredible.......................beach...umm m good!

Felicia
05-25-2008, 09:56 AM

Hope its warmer there than it is here........................rain rain go away, come again some other day. :ne_nau:

The condo was nice, right on a golf course with a pool. It was really cold - 62 at 3pm!

We went downtown, ate supper, walked the shops and then came home. (We only live 40 mins away from Palm Springs) I like my bed and we have a huge TV to watch the Indy on....Indy is about to start! :five:

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!!

Life is good! :rockon:

Win
05-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Got back on Sat from Escalante and then Hanksville. We really lucked out with weather. Wed nite was blowing and chilly when we got to Escalante, ate dinner and did a quick drive out to Devil's Garden.

Got up Thursday to snow showers at the motel. Decided to try Lower Calf Creek anyhow and it was near perfect. A few sprinkles and a bit of Sun.
Yo and Nikki loved it.

Finished that and it was off to Hanksville. Got up Friday and it had rained hard during the nite. Weather report showed possible showers but we decided to do Horseshoe Canyon anyway. Weather held with a bit of wind and a very little rain. Started at 8:45 AM and back at the Jeep by 2:30 PM. Saw hardly anyone in the canyon but quite a few were heading in as we exited. I could not believe the pictographs! I was so glad for cool temps and some clouds for the climb out.

Saturday we were going to try LWHC for a couple of hours but decided to just go to Goblin Valley and then head back. Had fun, took a lot of pictures of our friend Nikki.

Hope everyone had fun this weekend, too.

Win

BruteForce
05-25-2008, 04:49 PM
We just finished an awesome ATV ride from the Fillmore KOA to the top of the 97 Paiute Spider trail (almost to the 01). Total round trip was about 65 miles, crossing three mountains.

Ran into heavy mud, 3+ foot of snow and felled trees making the remainder of the 97 non-passable.

Weather held out flawlessly and EVERYONE had an outstanding time.

Challenged new friends to take trails they may have never tried without urging and assistance.

Placed two geocaches to mark waypoints on some awesome trails, did a massive creek water crossing and promptly had my ATV stall in the middle of the deep and fast moving creek.

Couldn't have asked for a better weekend!

Thank a vet or service member for this extended weekend!

theking648
05-25-2008, 05:24 PM
airsoft war tomorrow... :2thumbs:

shaggy125
05-26-2008, 04:45 AM
Just got paid time and a half to sit on my butt and browse the internet (ok I worked a little in between)... The red dots come much fewer and far between during my work days than your guys' is it 7:00 yet? Will this night ever end????

JP
05-26-2008, 05:59 AM
More picnics :2thumbs:

Sombeech
05-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Putting up a fence to lock my little boy in the back yard.

R
05-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I am hanging at the hospital today. My wife needs me, and I am happy to be by her side. Physical Therapy ran me off a few minutes ago so they could work on her. I told her not to bite. :nono:

savanna3313
05-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Woke up to rain this morning, but now the sun is shining. We're up to 15 people coming for the bbq now. :roll: Hope the rain holds off so we can get the food ready at least, although I have seen my brother in law standing in the rain with an umbrella in one hand and a spatula in the other while he's grilling. :haha: We can always eat inside if it starts up again!

fourtycal
05-26-2008, 06:32 PM

It snowed! and then got muddy! Still a good time. :2thumbs:

greyhair biker
05-26-2008, 06:41 PM
wow - that's too bad! Marilee looks thrilled :nod: Hope you got to ride a bit...mudding is FUN on the atv! and it's good for the truck :mrgreen:

Sombeech
05-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Despite all the rain today, I was able to put in a little fence to lock my boy in the backyard.

bbennett
05-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Nicely done, beech. It looks great :2thumbs:

accadacca
05-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Got most of my list done.

I picked up some nutramulch and tilled it into my garden. Then I planted it and installed some water saving sprinklers. I also got most of my garage unpacked and organized. I couldn't get my deck sanded and painted today, it kept raining. However, the weather was awesome on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. :cool2: