PDA

View Full Version : vonage

FoxyStar
05-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Are there any people on here that are familiar with this phone service and how well it works?

We are looking to get rid of my cell phone and switch to a landline, but we hate Qwest. So, I'd rather shove needles in my eye than be one of their customers again.

tanya
05-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi Foxy :naughty:

Long time no see. :popcorn:

JP
05-19-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm on it, picked it up a few weeks ago. No complaints and the setup is easy. You have a phone modem that runs inline with your cable. Mine goes cable modem, wireless router, Vonage into my PC.

I picked up the Vonage Whole House Solution. You get the Vonage modem/router w/ Ethernet cable, a main voice adapter (which you get a short telephone cord for...the Ethernet and Telephone cord gets plugged into the main voice adapter, which needs to be plugged into your outlet directly. Not via a extension cord or a surge protector. It will take up the entire bottom portion of the outlet. The main voice adapter and three other voice adapters are a bit bigger than a brand new bar of Irish Spring soap.)

The remaining three other voice adapters get plugged into any electrical outlet, in any room of your house. Then you simply run a telephone cord from the phone to the voice adapter in the room. No drilling, no running wires except for the wire that leads from the phone to the voice adapter and no tools required. Power and phones, that's all.

So far, no problem. Calls are clear for me just like a hard-line phone. Even with the portable phones we all walk around the house with now, Vonage sounds like a hard-line phone. I cannot tell the difference yet and don't think I will be. It's all clear, all good.

I took that basic plan, I could call any of you for just under $35.00 a month. No long distant calling. Just under $35, taxes included. The best part, for I thinks it's $5 more a month, if you had a close family/friend say living in Alaska and wanted them to call you whenever they wanted, Vonage offers a "Virtual Number". They setup a local number in Alaska for them to call, but it actually is tied into your number. This way, they dial a local number and will be talking to long distance. This could ease costly phone bills for everyone.

I like it :2thumbs:

Alex
05-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I've had it for 2 years. Was happy with the service, I switched because I got a deal through Comcast with their digital phone service. I think Vonage is one of the best VOIP companies out there.

Ih8grvty
05-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Its great! How ever where i live its possible for me to have BeeHive!
I get my net and my VOIP for 50 a month total and soon when the deal is complete I can add TV (Direct TV) to that for a total of 70 a month!
Best part is my Bride works for them so my net, my phone.... FREE!
it will cost me a bit for direct TV.. but not as much as most people have to pay for it.
THe phone did cost us 90 bucks one time for the modem, can use any phone in it, same as Vonage, but a better route for us.

ericchile
05-21-2008, 06:29 PM
I use net2phone... I like being able to get my voice mail over the internet!