PDA

View Full Version : ATV'ing this weekend (5Mile OHV to Eureka)

BruteForce
05-15-2008, 01:35 PM
In prep. for the end of month event I'm sponsoring (that includes geocaching), I'm heading out to the 5Mile OHV area on Friday.

Anybody going to be out there hiking, 4wheeling, ATV'ing or geocaching? I'll be overnighting Friday (in my RV) and ATV'ing the surrounding area most of Friday and Saturday.

Send me a PM if you'll be out there and want to do a bit of exploring and ATV'ing.

BruteForce
05-17-2008, 05:53 AM
Just a note in followup, as I type this from the 5Mile OHV area (they must have added a new cell tower out here):

The rattlesnakes are out en masse. Yesterday, we came across three fairly sizable rattlers; one had to be dispatched because he was coiled up in front of my ten year old. Additionally, the flying ants and grasshoppers are also out en masse. I don't recall ever having so many bugs bounce off my face in one outing.

fourtycal
05-27-2008, 08:11 AM
I was out on dirtbikes the same weekend, Saturday Morning and Sunday noon. Saw two rattlers and had a ball until a rock punched a hole in my radiator :ne_nau: .

I need to do some geocaching out there sometime, sounds like fun.

Mooseman70
05-27-2008, 08:21 AM
If I cannot secure use of my co-worker's ATV, are the roads good for a 2WD pickup truck?

BruteForce
05-27-2008, 08:34 AM
If I cannot secure use of my co-worker's ATV, are the roads good for a 2WD pickup truck?

Yes, most of the terrain is fairly flat and accessible. I took my Durango (stayed in 2 wheel drive) all the way from 5Mile to 12Mile to Little Moab and then to Eureka without issue.

Some side trails could get hairy however, but mainly will add some style (scratches) to the look of your 2wd truck.

Mooseman70
05-27-2008, 08:46 AM
I've already got some desert pinstriping on my Dakota, so no worries about that. If I can't get use the ATV, I'd still like to join the group - just won't be able to make some of the side treks I guess.