PDA

View Full Version : rappelling near salt lake

mtreker
05-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm looking for some fun places to go rappelling, besides petes rock. Anything from 30 to 200 feet. thanx.

trackrunner
05-12-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm looking for some fun places to go rappelling, besides petes rock. Anything from 30 to 200 feet. thanx.
With rappelling just about any where as long as you have a good top anchor (bolts, trees, rocks, etc.). I do recall a place in Neff's Canyon right fork that is under 100 foot range.

Yeti
05-12-2008, 06:25 PM
There are countless places along the Wasatch. Pick up a climbing guide. If you want to go somewhere close and convenient you could go to the mouth of Parley's, just make sure your rope is long enough. I saw a group rap on a rope that didn't reach the ground. Yelled to them but they came down anyway. It was part scary and part funny watching them figure out how to get down(no gear for ascending).

shaggy125
05-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Yea tons of places. One spot I've taken people that is actually pretty sweet is down the eastern cliff next to Hidden Falls right above the S-curve in BCC. There are plenty of trees to anchor off of and you can have the rap drop you right on the shore next to the fall, very pretty spot. Bring plenty of webbing especially if you want to equalize off more than one tree. You could probably rap down the waterfall but not until spring runnoff is over.

http://climb-utah.com/WM/hiddenfalls.htm

price1869
05-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Red Rock, up by the Draper Temple.

Scouty heaven.

jumar
05-14-2008, 06:29 AM
A bit of a drive, but I like Echo Canyon for rappelling at a variety of different heights.

Alex
05-14-2008, 07:20 AM
With rappelling just about any where as long as you have a good top anchor (bolts, trees, rocks, etc.). I do recall a place in Neff's Canyon right fork that is under 100 foot range.

Where exactly is it?

trackrunner
05-14-2008, 05:06 PM

Where exactly is it?
Hike the main trail of Neffs to the fork that crosses the stream (1/2 mile up?). Take the right fork (south east). Trail ends and bush wack up. The red slab is up the hillside and to the left (looking up canyon). There was bolts at the top. This is ten year old beta though.

I also remember another place to climb up Neffs taking the left fork (east)at the same junction. Shortly after on the east fork (100 to 200 yards)there was a hidden trail in the bushes I noticed one time. I took it up through the pine forest and came to a gray granite cliff band (cliff band can be seen from the parking area it is located in the middle of the two forks up above the pine forest). I noticed a few fixed climbing ropes. Though rappels would be bad here, very very bad ackward starts. Not for rappeling.

I will be moving back in with my parents next week, I'll have to go re check out these places and see if I can find the enterance to Neffs Cave. I just want to see the entrance not go in it; heard of the close call with death those boys had.

Alex
05-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Ya I read all about it, it was interesting. Let me know when you go up there, I live 5 mins from it and gladly join ya.

trackrunner
05-26-2008, 04:17 PM

Where exactly is it?

I went for a short hike to this place yesterday. The streams were cranking. Looking up canyon take the right fork. The right fork stream bed splits into two other forks. For a while the stream stay pretty close, but when they get farther apart the cliff band is at the top in the middle but close to the left fork stream looking up canyon. Bolts still there. Looked like there were other places to go, but I was short on day light. If you want to go check it out I can go almost anytime this week.