PDA

View Full Version : Broken Rod

LOAH
05-09-2008, 09:48 PM
So I got off work early and broke my rod on a brown in one of my lunchbreak spots.

It was a decent brown, but nothing special out of there, so I'm not sure why the rod snapped. Grrr. I wasn't even try to lift the fish with the rod, but something went wrong somewhere.

The good news is that the line held and I kept my spendy little pointer.

The fish was released, but I have to admit that revenge was on my mind. :lol8:

It was an ultra light rod that a friend gave me. Oh well.

Some pics:

waltny
05-09-2008, 11:19 PM
That sucks on the rod, havent had one break ever fishing. Car doors and my angry hands are another matter...

BTW, what is a pointer?

LOAH
05-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Lucky Craft Pointer Minnow SP65 Ghost Rainbow.

*breathe*

They're $15 or so. Worth it though.

waltny
05-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Lucky Craft Pointer Minnow SP65 Ghost Rainbow.

*breathe*

They're $15 or so. Worth it though.
Is it the finish or the body/lip style you think that makes it?

LOAH
05-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Both.

One of the reasons that they're so expensive is that they're made in Japan and hand painted. The eyes are great looking and the lip and shape makes them swim great. They've incorporated the eyelet into the lip as opposed to the rapala having it right on the nose. I think that and the shape of the lip also give it a better action while it swims.

I have a gripe about the paint though...Often times, you can make your first cast and reel in to find a paint chip already. Not cool. The hooks clack against the body and it rubs it right off. Rocks are even worse.

That's why I've gone to the ghost style. No exterior paint, everything is inside the clear body.

Great lure.

I really like the size of the 65, but others might like them a little bigger. Either way, RESULTS.

packfish
05-12-2008, 11:08 AM
What was the rod's brand name and was it graphite ?
Looks like it broke above a single foot eye so it wasn't from something underneath the foot of the eye.
If it was Graphite you could have hit it with a split shot one time or something and then it's just a matter if time if it breaks there or it doesn't.
Graphite is nifty is some ways and a bastard in others.

LOAH
05-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Sorry for the belated response. It was a Sportsman's Warehouse brand rod and I think it was graphite.

Not the biggest deal out there. I've got some other rods.

denaliguide
05-15-2008, 11:12 AM
i think it broke because it wants you to become a fly fishermen. actually the split shot is a good possibility. or possibly it was wrapped to tight. i know if i get wrapped to tight its just a matter of time before i go.

LOAH
05-15-2008, 08:35 PM
i think it broke because it wants you to become a fly fishermen.

:haha:

Fly fishermen must be pretty lonely because they're always trying to convert me.

Little did they know...

I have a fly rod. I just got it with my tax return a couple of months ago. I still haven't caught anything with it, but I've only tried it twice. The first time, there were no fish around and the second time, I had to kick back to shore because my waders were leaking and my leg was soaked and freezing.

It's set up for still water, so I don't care to try river fishing with it for now. I guess I could pick up another reel someday and get some floating line on it, but I'm just so comfortable with spin fishing that it's really not eating at me very much.

This weekend might present a good opportunity to try out the fly rod again though.
__________________________________________________ ___________

On another note, I hit the same creek as the original post today on lunch break (further upstream) and caught a sweet, tail dancing brown on the same broken rod and it made my day.

The rod is actually quite well suited for fishing heavily vegetated areas like this small overgrown creek. The short length is perfect for ducking under branches and between bushes. I may just hang on to it. :naughty:

I went back after work and actually caught a freakin' koi!!! Crazy.

Here are the pics:

denaliguide
05-15-2008, 08:49 PM
you sure you didn't just wet a line in some hotel lobbys fish pond? :roflol:

LOAH
05-15-2008, 10:09 PM
:lol8:

You're waaay off!

YAMATO.

:mrgreen: