PDA

View Full Version : Survivors of Skull Rapid - News Article

Sombeech
05-08-2008, 08:11 AM
I was shown this today from somebody at work, wondering if it's the same place I just got back from, concerned for my safety. :lol8:

Here's a Standard Examiner article that also printed in yesterday's paper.

http://www.standard.net/xplore/132349/#

I wanted to tell them I had footage of somebody actually coming out of the raft, but couldn't find any "contact" or reply link.

shaneras
05-08-2008, 09:46 AM
"When it really comes down to it, in whitewater rafting it's not a matter of if you're going to flip, it's when."

That story made my gut hurt, had to take an antacid. I am lucky to still be in the not flipped category at least in a raft\cat. Wait...I take that back, the Big Water Rescue class that Carbon County teaches (Bo and Steve Christensen aka soitgoes) makes you flip\right boats all day long. I strongly recommend to anyone wanting to raft rivers to take their class.

http://www.carbon.utah.gov/recreation/Adventure.htm

http://hikeraft.com/index.php?p=56&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Alex
05-08-2008, 11:34 AM
I am still debating whether to bail on the noobfest and attend Steve's class.... I have taken the one from UofU but it was many moons ago. Granted that class will be after most of my river trips....

Speaking of which, I just pulled July 6th WW permit (daily), who is in? :cool2:

shaneras
05-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Speaking of which, I just pulled July 6th WW permit (daily), who is in?

ME! ME! ME!

I know a few other people who would love to come along too if you have the space.

tanya
05-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I am still debating whether to bail on the noobfest and attend Steve's class.... I have taken the one from UofU but it was many moons ago. Granted that class will be after most of my river trips....

Speaking of which, I just pulled July 6th WW permit (daily), who is in? :cool2:

:ne_nau:

tanya
05-08-2008, 02:02 PM
"When it really comes down to it, in whitewater rafting it's not a matter of if you're going to flip, it's when."

:eek2:

Alex
05-08-2008, 02:27 PM

ME! ME! ME!

I know a few other people who would love to come along too if you have the space.

Just tell me how many so I can increase the permit, I only got 10 spots for now. About 4 are taken by my guys

Iceaxe
05-08-2008, 02:37 PM
I am still debating whether to bail on the noobfest

You had better not bail on the noob fest you peckerhead!!!!

Or I'll put you on my LIST!!!!!

:flipa:

Sombeech
05-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Just tell me how many so I can increase the permit, I only got 10 spots for now. About 4 are taken by my guys

I'd love to join you again. :2thumbs: I provide a useful photography service if nothing more than just dead weight in the raft. :haha:

denaliguide
05-08-2008, 06:54 PM
skull is the big one in westwater.

i can remember one trip i did back in around 77 or so.

a bunch of friends in glenwood springs got together and we borrowed and scrounged up enough gear to do westwater. fat, drunk and happy (and possibly under the influence of other consumables) away we go down the river.

everything was great until we got out to scout skull. it didn't look that bad so i said shall we just run over the rock.(it was under about 18 inches of water). the hole on the other side was huge. well lets just say that it was one of the many bad ideas that i have had in my life. over the rock we go. end over end goes the raft. all of us were swept into the infamous "room of doom", a huge swirling whirlpool on river right that is often unescapeable at high water. somehow we only lost one oar and no one was hurt, yet.

managed to gather everyone back into the boat. couldn't get out on our first trip around the whirlpool. around we go again and this time i start pulling harder and sooner and we manage to just make it out and away downriver.

hadn't thought about that trip in a long time. thanks for sparking the old grey matter.

abirken
05-08-2008, 07:24 PM
I am still debating whether to bail on the noobfest

You had better not bail on the noob fest you peckerhead!!!!

Or I'll put you on my LIST!!!!!

:flipa:

You can't bail sucker!!! You owe me a beer.

Alex
05-08-2008, 09:43 PM
So much love, I guess I have to go :lol8:

No, I don't like to bail on my commitments, plus some of the permits under my name.

denaliguide, that's funny you mention it. My last trip of the year in 2007 was in late November and we pulled over behind Skull in that pull out section on river left and just sitting there admiring the Skull, Room of Doom and the Rock of Shock.

I had two couples with me, who were totally new to rafting and up to that point I was guiding very conservatively. They were starting to whine that WW wasn't that big after all. So I told them all about the Skull Hole, the rock and the Rock of Shock. So right then the dude is coming down in a 12 foot cat with his friend on the front. The flow was about 5k, so room of doom wasn't an issue and he sees people watching, the dude decides to show off and goes right for the room of doom.

Plays a bit in the room and then he gets ready to get out. Takes a few strokes and sure enough one stroke not enough, he turns sideways and hits the rock of shock. The pressure high sides the boat and seconds later the cat is vertical with two dudes swimming. Mind you no wet suits, just jeans and cotton t-shirts! And it's late November.

Anyways, we jump into full action and go into the rescue mode. We were able to catch their boat and fish them out before SITM and flipped their cat back up.

My passengers were sure grinning after that! :lol8:

tanya
05-09-2008, 05:13 AM
:five: I am so glad you are going!

Even though you don't need to be there for us to grab your permits. :haha:

Alex
05-09-2008, 05:15 AM

Oh now that you mention it.... :naughty:

JK, Na I hate when people cancel on me, I am not going to be those people :2thumbs:

tanya
05-09-2008, 07:30 AM

Oh now that you mention it.... :naughty:

JK, Na I hate when people cancel on me, I am not going to be those people :2thumbs:

It would not be the same without you. You can go and play in Steve's swimming pool anytime. :haha:

Alex
05-09-2008, 08:25 AM
I hear some good stuff about his classes. Plus I could use a refresher. You should come next time :naughty:

Iceaxe
05-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Oh sure Alex.... I get it, you invite the hotties but not me.... I see how this works now.... :lol8:

tanya
05-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Oh sure Alex.... I get it, you invite the hotties but not me.... I see how this works now.... :lol8:

You know we both love you so we would make sure you were right there be between us. :haha:

You guys have no idea how much I hate my head under water. This would be a watch tanya freak out show!

Iceaxe
05-09-2008, 08:57 AM
You know we both love you so we would make sure you were right there be between us. :haha:

I don't know... I think Alex would feel no guilt about giving me an elbow out of the boat if you were along....

:lol8:

Alex
05-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Ouch.... that hurts man, after all those nights in the motel, how can you say that!

Alex
05-09-2008, 11:34 AM

Read my message above, it says "who is in?"

If you know how to row a boat and have access to the boat, you are totally welcome to come Shane. If you want as a passenger on my boat, it's fine too, just let me know. I don't like to take more than 2, maybe 3 passengers on my boat, it just gets too crowded. In case of a flip, too many victims.

I can't stand the paddle boats personally.

I owe you big for getting me into canyoneering, so if you wanna come, you are more than welcome dude.

Justin is coming on my permit and in my boat cause he shares the same love for the movies as I do. We have a script already of how we will be filming :lol8: We are going to try to bring 3 cameras this time and get all kinds of angles. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
05-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Justin is coming on my permit and in my boat cause he shares the same love for the movies as I do. We have a script already of how we will be filming :lol8: We are going to try to bring 3 cameras this time and get all kinds of angles. :2thumbs:

I'll get you some schematics soon of the camera positions. :lol8:

Alex
05-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I just bought another boat, a 12 foot cataraft :eek2:

sigh, now I got to figure out where to store it.

denaliguide
05-09-2008, 03:24 PM
I just bought another boat, a 12 foot cataraft :eek2:

sigh, now I got to figure out where to store it.

you could keep it at my place. :haha: probably not very conveinent though. since i live in bullhead.

Iceaxe
05-12-2008, 07:29 AM
If you know how to row a boat and have access to the boat, you are totally welcome to come Shane. If you want as a passenger on my boat, it's fine too, just let me know. I don't like to take more than 2, maybe 3 passengers on my boat, it just gets too crowded. In case of a flip, too many victims.

I can't stand the paddle boats personally.

I owe you big for getting me into canyoneering, so if you wanna come, you are more than welcome dude.

WOW!!! I think I just got elbowed out of the boat over Beech.... now if you tossed me out for Tanya I could understand that... but for anther man?!? Now my feelings are really hurt. :cry1:

I'm just messin' with ya Alex. :haha:

Alex
05-12-2008, 07:46 AM
... but for anther man?!?

:roflol: You forgot who you are dealing with here....

KillEmAll
05-12-2008, 07:25 PM

ME! ME! ME!

Alex, if you still got on opening I'd love you join. Been dying to run this so just let me know if that'd work for you.

Alex
05-12-2008, 08:08 PM
You got your own boat? I can see if I can bump up the permit

KillEmAll
05-13-2008, 07:05 AM
Nope :sad: Just hoping to tag along.

Alex
05-13-2008, 09:04 AM
OK dude, I will let you know once it gets closer and see how many people I will have in my boat.

I should have two boats by then, my dad wants to try his luck at guiding on his own, which means fishing him out a couple of times. :eek2: So I will definitely need a couple of passengers for rescues :2thumbs:

Alex
05-14-2008, 05:12 AM

I am launching on Deso on the 30th, and have plenty of space for passengers if you are interested. It's a 4 day trip though on the river. Leaving SLC 29th and coming back the following Monday.

Deso should be fun at this level this year :2thumbs:

KillEmAll
05-15-2008, 08:10 AM

I am launching on Deso on the 30th, and have plenty of space for passengers if you are interested. It's a 4 day trip though on the river. Leaving SLC 29th and coming back the following Monday.

Deso should be fun at this level this year :2thumbs:

Now that would be fun! So what are the details on this one (costs, travel, etc)? I certainly would be interested in this one if I can pull it off.