PDA

View Full Version : Draper trail work days in May

Mtnbiker
05-01-2008, 05:40 PM
We have some great opportunities coming up this summer to expand and improve the already great network of trails in Draper. Here are a few of the trail work days coming up that are sponsored by Draper City and executed by volunteer work:

Saturday May 8th:Draper DH trail
Quoting Mike Howell from WAFTA:
"Saturday will consist of digging berms, jumps, etc.

If you have tools to bring, please do so. Otherwise, we have plenty of pulaskis and mcleods on loan from Draper city for use. For anyone in the Wasatch stoked on legal DH trails, please come out and earn your turns. This trail should be challenging and flowy, with ride arounds for anyone who isnt feeling up to a particular stunt.

We will hold regular dig nights during the week, in addition to the weekend days, until the trail is complete. The elevation drop is around 1200, with approximately 2 to 2.5 miles of DH only trail. When this trail is complete, we will begin construction on a second DH only trail in the canyon."

Parking: Drive up Suncrest road to the 4-way stop at the top of the hill, near the market. Turn right and go approx 1 1/2 miles until just BEFORE the stone bridge. Turn right and follow another 1/4 mile to a dirt rd on the left, and look for WAFTA signs (Wasatch Area Freeride Trails Association) pointing toward the work area.

Saturday May 17th - Maple Hollow XC trail

When completed the Maple Hollow XC trail will link the lower BST from the Aquaduct on Suncrest Rd to the top of Suncrest at the Deer Ridge parking lot. That opens up the perimeter trail around the top of Suncrest and Corner Canyon. In addition to Clark's trail and Ghost Falls this will be the 3rd of several planned bottom-to-top trails in Draper, and will increase the number of available loops to link upwards of 15 miles of mostly singletrack!

Saturday May 17th we'll likely be starting at the top and working down toward the 1.5 miles already cut in. Details are yet to come for this date, but plan on a 9am start, and bring protective clothing, food, and water.

I'll update this with more details for 5/17, so let us know if you can make it, or if you have more questions!

Ride on,
Ian

Mtnbiker
05-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Well, the WAFTA workday was a HUGE success! :nod: 24 people showed up for 4-5 hours and we dug about 1/2 mile of awesome trail. The soil is perfect for digging - loamy, black and moist.

This DH trail will be fast, flowy, and tons of fun :2thumbs: :rockon:
The potential in this area is just amazing. In fact this will be the first of two planned DH only trails, and this will be the easier of the two.

I believe the next build day is planned for Wednesday night at 5:30 till dark, so come on out and join the cause and have fun!

I also scouted the top of the Maple Hollow XC trail that we'll be diggin on May 17th, and this will be another terrific, long piece of singletrack when it is completed.

I'll be out digging on various nights by myself, so if you are interested in coming a particular night let me know and I can get extra tools.

Ride on!
Ian

accadacca
05-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Great to hear! Mike is my cousin you know. :five:

bbennett
05-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I'll be out of town for the next couple of weeks but would love to help out. Have you got anything planned for after the 22nd?

drboudreaux
05-07-2008, 09:24 AM
mtnbiker - thanks for the announcement about the dig day here on bogley. It was great to see so many people out working on the trail.

Despite the rain, I am still planning on heading down at about 430 today, unless it gets REALLY wet out there. Pending some unforeseen circumstances, Saturday is a go for the Draper trail as well. We should start at about 9am. I will post confirmation details when they are worked out.

As for the Maple trail, post it up on the WAFTA trail work day message board. We would like to help out in that effort as well.

www.waftautah.com

And I can confim that acca is my cousin. I am selling my WRX to get a motorcycle. We'll have to do a ride up to the BL house on the bikes this summer...

Mike

PunchKing
05-07-2008, 12:52 PM
And I will continue to use the trails. Keep the the good work guys. You are all my heroes!

ogdmfg
05-07-2008, 01:08 PM
So punch King what is stopping you from coming out and helping dig?

PunchKing
05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
I have neglected this site for some time now and was not aware of any events such as this and have sadly made other plans on both days in question. :(

fourtycal
05-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Saturday May 8th:Draper DH trail
Quoting Mike Howell from WAFTA:
"Saturday will consist of digging berms, jumps, etc.

Any digging this weekend, May 10th or 11th?

Mtnbiker
05-16-2008, 05:51 PM
I should've posted an update by now but I haven't been at the computer much lately, sorry!

If you plan on helping with the dig tomorrow, please come to the Andy Ballard Equestrian Center in Draper at 8am (1600 East Highland Drive).

We are coordinating with a scout group and will then head up to Suncrest to start digging on the multi-use trail that will connect the Maple Hollow trail and the top of the DH trail!

Hope to see you then. I'll be bringing a grill and some dogs too.

DH stuff
Here are some teasers from the preliminary digs on the DH trail to tide you over until the next build day: :2thumbs:

The trail is only 1/4 done and we already have berms, hairpins, creek gaps, a small step-up and plenty of fast, twisty trail!

scoutabout
05-17-2008, 10:52 AM
No attacks on mountain bikers for damaging mother Gaia?