PDA

View Full Version : Taste like chicken?

abirken
04-30-2008, 10:13 PM
For Christmas we took the kids to Costa Rica for a little RnR. Along the way, we were able to hang out with some locals in this little village called Ostinol. It's right on the Pacific coastline. While in Ostinol, the locals were just done with their morning harvest of turtle eggs. This only happens once a month, so we were kinda lucky? I guess? But anyhow, the locals invited us to join in on the delicacy of eating a raw turtle egg right from the beach. I politely declined the offer but laughed my ass off at my son who wanted to try one. He certainly had stories to tell upon returning to school after the Christmas break............take a look at the video. It's pretty cute.

FACT: It is illegal for anyone else to harvest the eggs if you aren't from this village which is regulated by the Costa Rican government. These locals only get 48 hours to harvest all they can, once a month. But the turtles do lay the eggs for 7 days straight so lots of baby turtles are born and swim off into the sunset. :2thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu1Ij0k9zOM

JP
05-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Good for him :2thumbs:

DiscGo
05-01-2008, 06:17 AM
Awesome reaction!

This brings up another point that somebody made last year about which I care a lot more now.

We should have a section of showing off our kids. I know a lot of us already put stuff on the main discussion board, but I love seeing other's posts and I know the older my son gets the more I will want to post.

Deathcricket
05-01-2008, 07:58 AM
abirken: you have an infectious laugh, totally made me smile. I think it's great your children are so open to new experiences. You guys seem like very awesome parents. Thanks for sharing.

Discgo: That's an awesome idea!

abirken
05-01-2008, 08:02 AM
abirken: you have an infectious laugh, totally made me smile. I think it's great your children are so open to new experiences. You guys seem like very awesome parents. Thanks for sharing.

Discgo: That's an awesome idea!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww thanks so much deathcricket!! That made me want to cry. :haha: Seriously. I do try to do alot with my kids. Traveling etc....we live pretty simple most of the year in order to go do really fun things a couple times a year. I don't want to be near dead (retirement) to start living life. :mrgreen:

BTW: I'm a total goofball almost ALL the time with a warped sense of humor and laugh ALOT.......

DISCGO: agree too!!

Alex
05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
That is awesome, got to love the kids who are willing to try new things in life.

Deathcricket
05-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww thanks so much deathcricket!! That made me want to cry. :haha: Seriously. I do try to do alot with my kids. Traveling etc....we live pretty simple most of the year in order to go do really fun things a couple times a year. I don't want to be near dead (retirement) to start living life. :mrgreen:

BTW: I'm a total goofball almost ALL the time with a warped sense of humor and laugh ALOT.......

No problem! I just call em as I see em. That's a strategy I need to embrace more in my life, to be honest. My wife is always telling me to "live a little". meaning go with the flow or dive in the experiences that come my way. So I can appreciate your words, especially since I have a child now. I tend to overthink things and be a little too cautious. I'll be one of those old fogies before I start living, haha.

[nerd moment]
To quote Aragon from LOTR, "You are most welcome here".
[/nerd moment]

You've been a great addition/contribution to this site and I love reading your posts! Keep them coming girl! You've almost got as many posts as me and I've been here 2 years, lol.
:five:

abirken
05-01-2008, 09:46 PM
No problem! I just call em as I see em. That's a strategy I need to embrace more in my life, to be honest. My wife is always telling me to "live a little". meaning go with the flow or dive in the experiences that come my way. So I can appreciate your words, especially since I have a child now. I tend to overthink things and be a little too cautious. I'll be one of those old fogies before I start living, haha.

[nerd moment]
To quote Aragon from LOTR, "You are most welcome here".
[/nerd moment]

You've been a great addition/contribution to this site and I love reading your posts! Keep them coming girl! You've almost got as many posts as me and I've been here 2 years, lol.
:five:

Thanks doll!!! It really did make my morning brighter to read your comment. :) Oh and anything I can do to help you BREAK FREE and live life, let me know. I somehow have a way of making things happen. :2thumbs: