PDA

View Full Version : Staying alive beats dying doing what you love to do

Iceaxe
04-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Staying alive beats dying doing what you love to do
By Craig Medred - McClatchy Newspapers

''I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.''
- Jack London

''I would rather not my final epitaph be: 'He died doing what he loved' because you can't partake of the excitement of living when you're dead.''
- Craig Medred

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - ''You could die,'' the young man said over the telephone, ''in an automobile accident tomorrow or get seriously injured falling down your stairs.''

And he was 100 percent correct.

The most dangerous thing most Americans do is drive. Unless they cycle - either motor or bicycle.

As someone who does a fair bit of the latter, and thus has time to watch American motorists, I can testify that the roadways are full of inattentive drivers preoccupied with eating or putting on their makeup or talking on the cell phone.
So, yeah, being on the roads is dangerous, and there is no doubt you can slip on the stairs any day.

Given this, the young man was very correct in his observation about everyday risks.

He was equally wrong about the ski accident that put his friend in the hospital with busted bones and a tube in his throat.

Right here, I should confess that I tried not to write about ski safety again this week, tried to push it away like a bad dream.

Then John Nicoletta followed Ben Johnson off the cliffs at the Alyeska Resort, and this time the story didn't end at the hospital.

This time the story ended at the morgue, and the scary thing is that I'm sure there are friends of Nicoletta out there thinking like friends of Johnson:

''Nine times out of 10, he would have landed that jump.''

This was the view of the friend of Johnson who called irate about my questioning the first, bone-smashing accident inspired by the extreme ski competition at Alyeska.

Let's not quibble over the accuracy of this 9-in-10 claim, but accept for the moment that it is true.

What kind of odds are these for risking life or limb?

If you had a set of stairs that sent you to the hospital every 10th trip down, you'd fix the stairs.

If you ended up in an automobile accident every 10th time you got in the car, you'd demand someone do something about highway safety.

And yet, there appear to be people who think these are acceptable odds for what have come to be called ''extreme sports.''

These are not sports like auto racing or mountaineering or downhill skiing, where participants or organizers go to considerable lengths to try to ensure safety. Still, they remain inherently dangerous.

But there is a huge difference between mountaineering (they rope up, don't they?) and auto racing on the one hand and X-treme skiing or snowmobiling on the other.

Auto racing lacks ''no crash zones,'' places where if you crash, you probably die.

It could have such zones. Just get rid of the safety gear in the cars and go back to poorly designed tracks.

Then auto racing might qualify as one of those extreme sports that appear designed to maximize the chances of someone saying about a competitor:

''He died doing what he loved.''

Mock me as Grandpa Craig if you must, but I'd like to live a long life doing what I love and die in my sleep.

That's why I wear a helmet (though I'm no fan of helmets) and keep my head on a swivel when I'm on the bike. It's also way why I avoid hucking off things while skiing.

Still I've done more than my share of crazy things in the mountains of Alaska.

I still do on occasion, but I've survived long enough to realize that what you want to do there is minimize risk, not maximize it, because it is hard to ski, mountain bike, climb or do much anything fun from a hospital bed.

And it is impossible to do it from the grave.

I am not trying to be funny-frankly, it's not a laughing matter.

Anyone who thinks nine in 10 odds are good is asking for an early death.

Russian roulette has odds of 5 in 6. To make this more easily comparable for those of you weak in math, that translates to odds of 10 in 12.

Nine in 10 for hucking yourself off a cliff on skis.

Ten in 12 for spinning the cylinder on a handgun and dropping the hammer on the chamber.

Do those really sound like good odds to you?

Only if you have a death wish.

If that's the case, why not go directly to the end?

Do not schuss a thousand great runs. Do not collect a million great memories.

Just take a flier off a 1,000-foot cliff and leave your friends to mourn and repeat:

''At least he died doing what he loved.''

Me, I'd rather never hear that phrase again, because nine times out of 10 it means somebody made a mistake and will never again do any of the things they love.

tanya
04-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Nice!

I agree that cars/bikes/cycles are the most dangerous things. You race car drivers are just nuts! Tim who will be filming us doing Lady Mountain was hit by a hit and run when riding his bike. He has not been out of the hospital too long. Another guy I know was hit on his bike and left for dead. There are also occupations that are very dangerous like fire fighters, cops, etc...

Iceaxe
04-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Tim who will be filming us doing Lady Mountain

:ne_nau:

Whats this???

There are also occupations that are very dangerous like fire fighters, cops, etc...

Yeah... those guys are dying all the time of heart attacks from to many donuts.... :roflol:

j/k

:five:

Bo_Beck
04-24-2008, 08:02 PM

Whats this???

There are also occupations that are very dangerous like fire fighters, cops, etc...

Yeah... those guys are dying all the time of heart attacks from to many donuts.... :roflol:

j/k

Tim is a "Cop" who loves donuts! :ne_nau: He also produces a show for the local TV station, KCSG. He won't be airing any Zion footage until his permit is approved though. He got footage of Tanya and I on our ascent of South Ariel Peak, and will be getting footage of canyons etc. He isn't a for sure yet on Lady Mountain, but if he does go I'll let you know so that you can pick up a dozen Krispy Cremes! :haha:

tanya
04-24-2008, 08:04 PM

Whats this???

j/k

Oh.. maybe I did not tell you. There is a guy that follows Bo and I around sometimes to film us for a local hiking show shown in the Southern Utah area. So...... don't have too big of holes in your pants or anything. :mrgreen:

You know that's true! Our diets are a big killer! But donuts and pizza are so good! :mrgreen:

denaliguide
04-24-2008, 08:08 PM
i've read many articles by craig medred over the years. he's a regular at the anchorage daily news sports dept. he has a tendency to be all over the place depending on what his topic du jour happens to be. more often than not though he does have some good nsights.

tanya
04-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Could you make those donuts chocolate. :mrgreen:

abirken
04-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Could you make those donuts chocolate. :mrgreen:

Agree!! chocolate donuts......yummy yummy! :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
04-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Now I know what a mushroom feels like..... :cool2:

Thanks for telling me..... now I'll have to go and re pack and put in my good soon to be old clothes....

:haha:

tanya
04-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Don't forget the good hat!

Iceaxe
04-24-2008, 08:57 PM

I have a good hat??? :ne_nau:

Heck.... I'll be wearing so much Climb Utah gear I won't have room for a hat.... :roflol:

tanya
04-24-2008, 08:59 PM

I have a good hat??? :ne_nau:

Heck.... I'll be wearing so much Climb Utah gear I won't have room for a hat.... :roflol:

I assume this is your good hat! :haha:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/files/sb007.jpg

Iceaxe
04-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Oh... you like that do ya. :naughty:

tanya
04-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh... bet you don't have a size small tank top on hand.... but you could grab the young hot stripper wives --- just tell her I am advertising for you on TV. :haha:

tanya
04-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Oh... you like that do ya. :naughty:

It is a nice hat. :lol8:

cp0915
04-25-2008, 07:44 AM

Whats this???

j/k

Oh.. maybe I did not tell you. There is a guy that follows Bo and I around sometimes to film us for a local hiking show shown in the Southern Utah area. So...... don't have too big of holes in your pants or anything. :mrgreen:

You know that's true! Our diets are a big killer! But donuts and pizza are so good! :mrgreen:

Big holes in the pants???? What? I never said I was going...

tanya
04-25-2008, 08:01 AM

Whats this???

j/k

Big holes in the pants???? What? I never said I was going...

Those are not holes! Those are character!!! You have no idea how impressed we all are that you and DP so all that climbing and scrambing in the tennis either! You are the Man! :five:

I may not have mentioned the TV camera thing to you either. :mrgreen: Tim is great! He use to be a climber and has no problem keeping up with us and lugging that huge thing around.

cp0915
04-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Speaking of big holes in pants, DB was doing laundry after our absurd thrash up Langston Mountain on Saturday when she discovered a gaping 15" hole in the ass of my pants. It was only 3" on Saturday morning. I, of course, refused to throw them out. So now she has to sew them! Fortunately, she got the home-economics kids at her school to do it!

Man, I'm a pain in the ass.

tanya
04-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Speaking of big holes in pants, DB was doing laundry after our absurd thrash up Langston Mountain on Saturday when she discovered a gaping 15" hole in the ass of my pants. It was only 3" on Saturday morning. I, of course, refused to throw them out. So now she has to sew them! Fortunately, she got the home-economics kids at her school to do it!

Man, I'm a pain in the ass.

I am looking forward to seeing those Sunday. :five:

hank moon
04-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Staying alive beats dying doing what you love to do.

Silly headline! Trix are for kids!

But seriously, it is silly. There is a certain lack of info on which to base a comparison...

greyhair biker
04-25-2008, 09:18 AM
:ne_nau: I guess I should be dead by now :haha: Between the mine and the biking...the endless list of whatever I want to try this week(ziplining is awesome!)...eating wild game :lol8: ....
...better to burn out than to fade away...

Deathcricket
04-25-2008, 10:08 AM
he has a tendency to be all over the place depending on what his topic du jour happens to be.

quoted for exactly what I was thinking. As I was reading the article, I was saying to myself "this guy has serious ADD, FOCUS MAN!" he goes off on so many tangents it was hard to stay interested.

That being said I don't feel his point is valid. He says something to the effect like "if you got hurt going down stairs 1 out of every 10 times" when really it's truly not that kinda statistic. If you flip a coin and it lands "heads up" 10 times in a row, the chance is it landing "tails" on the next flip is still 50%.

So if doing some sport and you have a 9 out 10 chance in dying, that really means it's 90% safe and there is only a 10% chance of failure. It doesnt mean that the 10th time you do it, you'll perish. Each time you do something dangerous, you mitigate the risk as best you can, and that makes it relatively safe each and every time IMO. To me the accidents occur because the person got careless or made some other mistake. And then they lowered their chances to 50% or some lower figure. What if there was water or ice on the stairs you are going down, what if the boards were creaking funny and you didn't look into it? What if the railing was loose?

If you are doing something and reduce the chance or harm to 10%, it's not going to fail, except for some freak accident which is out of your hands. The catch 22 though is that hindsight is always nearly perfect, and you don't get that option (to learn from your mistake) if your dead.

Of course this is coming from a guy who likes to push the envelope a little more than others. So take it with a grain of salt eh?

tanya
04-25-2008, 10:42 AM
:ne_nau: I guess I should be dead by now :haha: Between the mine and the biking...the endless list of whatever I want to try this week(ziplining is awesome!)...eating wild game :lol8: ....
...better to burn out than to fade away...

They have a zip line at the Zion Ponderosa here on the east side of Zion --- I am going to have to try that one day. I think that Paragon Climbing where Bo hangs out has one too?

Has anyone died in the mine your work in?

Bikers are as nuts as race car drivers. :lol8:

greyhair biker
04-25-2008, 01:43 PM
[color=white]They have a zip line at the Zion Ponderosa here on the east side of Zion --- I am going to have to try that one day. I think that Paragon Climbing where Bo hangs out has one too?

Has anyone died in the mine your work in?

:five: Yet another reason to make a trip your way mandatory :2thumbs:
as for the mine thing, yes, we had a fatality in 1995 but it was caused by asphyxiation as a result of innundation of mine gases forcing out oxygen in the area the miner was trapped in...my interpretation, not the word for word MSHA account.

DO THE ZIPLINE!!!!!

sparker1
04-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Here are some photos from Alyeska, where the summer is used for para-gliding. This beautiful country gets around 800 inches of snow per year.