PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report TR: Hush Hush

jumar
04-20-2008, 03:38 PM
We went and did Hush Hush Cave yesterday. I was told it was super dusty and should bring a mask. It was dusty, but not as bad as I was afraid of. Wore a mask part of the time, but probably didnt' really need it.
The cave has a 90 foot vertical entrance, and has a bunch of old ladders from the days of mining in this area. Kind of a fun little cave to explore on a windy/dusty Saturday afternoon. Waiting on pics to post.

tanya
04-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Sounds interesting! Looking forward to the photos! :2thumbs:

jumar
04-22-2008, 06:47 AM
Here's some pics from Hush Hush

tanya
04-22-2008, 06:49 AM
Very nice! It must be hard to take photos in Caves. Slots are tough, but Caves... very hard. :2thumbs:

jumar
04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah it seems most the pics I take with a flash don't do it justice. I have to have a tripod and not use the flash to get any decent pics.

Uploaded a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEaEZlromuM

millsclimber
04-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Yeah cave pictures can be tough. I've found that a small aperture and long exposure times with the lowest ISO you can manage can really turn out some great cave pictures. Of course, a tripod is a must have.

I think the trick to flash photography is finding depth-of-field and some contrast. Most of the time the nuances in the rock or formation can be exposed by taking a different angle. That's what I tried to do on that photo above of the popcorn. But, I also didn't want to take my nice camera so they didn't quite turn out as good as I wanted.

Austin

Wild One
04-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Yeah cave pictures can be tough. I've found that a small aperture and long exposure times with the lowest ISO you can manage can really turn out some great cave pictures. Of course, a tripod is a must have.

I think the trick to flash photography is finding depth-of-field and some contrast. Most of the time the nuances in the rock or formation can be exposed by taking a different angle. That's what I tried to do on that photo above of the popcorn. But, I also didn't want to take my nice camera so they didn't quite turn out as good as I wanted.

Austin

Greetings from the flat land gents. Looks like you guys had a good time there. Is that it for the formations in Hush Hush? :ne_nau:
So, pretty much just a little rap in and jumar out? Still, it is better than sitting around asking each other what you wanna do, eh?

jumar
04-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Greetings from the flat land gents. Looks like you guys had a good time there. Is that it for the formations in Hush Hush? :ne_nau:
So, pretty much just a little rap in and jumar out? Still, it is better than sitting around asking each other what you wanna do, eh?
Yep, not much to see in this cave in the way of formations. There was some cool crystal looking rock too, but that's about it. The interest in this cave is just getting to do some vertical and it's kind of cool seeing the old mining artifacts.

millsclimber
04-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Yep there were some decent crystals all throughout the cave along with some mysterious brown/purple residue of something. We never did identify that stuff. It would be worth doing again if we hit the other 2 or 3 caves in the area.