PDA

View Full Version : Squaw Peak(Orem) Maintenance Day

provodh
04-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey,
We're gonna go up on Saturday(the 26th) in the morning and clean up. We're gonna shoot for 8am, and go till about 12. Basically we want 20 or more people to come up and clean up the trail so it'll be sick. We're gonna meet at the riverwoods at hogi yogi at 745 to leave about 8 and go work. Bring all your shovels and rakes. We'll do this for the next 2-3 weeks so it should be just prime. Bring your bike if you really want to hike with it, but we're mostly just gonna be cleaning trails and digging berms. Any questions, hit me up here or come into the shop(Urban Downfall-327 E. 1200 S. Ste 5, Orem--691-0250)
Thanks
Nathan

scoutabout
05-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Very cool. How did this go? Many attendees? I've been looking for a mtn bike group that would be willing to volunteer for maintenance projects in the AF Canyon area.

tallsteve
05-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Very cool. How did this go? Many attendees? I've been looking for a mtn bike group that would be willing to volunteer for maintenance projects in the AF Canyon area.

If you're looking for a group to join then check out URMB.org. We just adopted a couple of trails up AF Canyon including parts of Ridge Trail 157, Salamander Flat Trail 150 and part of Pine Hollow. We have already placed a couple of signs and have in possession 4 more to place as soon as the snow melts and we can get up the road. We have been working with Cheryl Butler at the USFS Pleasant Grove office. PM me with any questions. We need more members!

tallsteve
05-01-2008, 12:43 PM

If you're looking for a group to join then check out URMB.org. We just adopted a couple of trails up AF Canyon including parts of Ridge Trail 157, Salamander Flat Trail 150 and part of Pine Hollow. We have already placed a couple of signs and have in possession 4 more to place as soon as the snow melts and we can get up the road. We gave been working with Cheryl Butler at the USFS Pleasant Grove office. PM me with any questions. We need more members!

scoutabout
05-01-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm a 4x4 guy, and we do a lot of projects up in that area. The DR and rec specs are always asking about other groups who can work in the area. I know there were some significant problems starting to develop on MTB trails over the past two seasons and they were looking for a group to help out. Good to hear someone is working on this.

tallsteve
05-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I wish we could do more but there aren't enough of us- yet. We're doing what we can and I know, for now, the USFS is very pleased with our efforts. The forest service has mentioned to us that they have many groups approach them to help but very, very few actually do anything, particularly the horse and motorcycle groups (yes, I personally heard that from a couple of rangers in the know). Next year we will probably expand our adoption to include Tibble Fork and Little Deer Creek South Fork trails. We'll see how this year goes first though.

scoutabout
05-01-2008, 02:03 PM
That's great. Every group sould be involved in maintaining the trails they use. One of our big projects each year is for National Public Lands Day (always the last Saturday of September, so 9/27 this year). Last year we had over 125 volunteers out for the day to clean dispersed campsites, build fence, etc. We're always trying to get other groups to join in for the day and work on their own areas. If possible, you guys should plan on a project for NPLD. The PG district has a new Volunteer Coordinator this year after being without one for two years. Hopefully she can help coordinate efforst with additional groups.

tallsteve
05-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Cool! Yeah, I remember seeing your group cleanup project on the news last year. I can't remember the new Volunteer Coordinators name because Cheryl is going to keep us under her wing for now. Remind me in Sept. about your project and I'll see how many mtbr's we can get to help out.

provodh
05-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Well, most people punked out, but we still had about 8 show up. We got alot of it groomed, but we still need like 10 more people one morning to get it alot nicer. Once the road opens we'll clean again because it's a pretty far hike as of now

scoutabout
05-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Cool! Yeah, I remember seeing your group cleanup project on the news last year. I can't remember the new Volunteer Coordinators name because Cheryl is going to keep us under her wing for now. Remind me in Sept. about your project and I'll see how many mtbr's we can get to help out.

Her name is Polly, she came over when the Wasatch and Uinta Forests merged. I haven't met her yet, she just got started this spring. Cheryl is great to work with. Joe McFarlane is over her and all dispersed rec, and a good guy to know. His boss is Larry Velardi, the rec planner for the district, and John Logan is the District Ranger. He's very supportive of multiple use and rec, so it's awesome. They are a great group to work with. If someone can PM me some contact info, we'll add you to our list for projects. It'd be great to get diverse groups working on projects during the same weekend, we can get some good press.