PDA

View Full Version : Caving Near Zions?

Axpence
04-16-2008, 11:03 PM
hi all,
some friends and i are wondering if there are any caves around the greater zions area that we can go exploring in! any help would be much appreciated! thanks,
Alex

tanya
04-17-2008, 04:36 AM
Jumar, the cave moderator, can probably tell you some...

I don't do a lot of caving but there is one on Cedar Mountain that I know. Two actually but one is really small.

Ice Cave and Mammoth Cave

Look on the bottom right of this page for the info

http://www.zionnational-park.com/dfhike.htm

jumar
04-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Usually if I'm by Zion's I'm canyoneering, so I don't know of a lot of caves around there. Mammoth and Duck Creek ice cave, like Tanya mentioned.
From the timp grotto site:

Mammoth Cave Lava Tube: The lava tubes in this area including Mammoth and Bowers Caves are closed during the winter to prevent any disturbance of Townsend's big-eared bats, which hibernate in the caves. Donna Owens, acting district ranger for the Dixie National forest, said with the spring departure of the bats, the lava-tube caves will be open from late May until September 30.

Duck Creek Lava Tube is down there, but is considered to be closed.

Bloomington Cave down by St George is one of the longer caves in the state, and is very popular. It's going to be gated soon.

There's some interesting sand caves/mines that I just posted a TR for outside of Kanab.
http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10764
They're supposedly closing some of these in the Fall so do 'em soon if you want to.

Do you live down near Zion's? I know of a caver that moved down that direction that has been doing to exploring for caves down there.

Axpence
04-18-2008, 12:04 AM
nope, i dont live near zions, but i'll check those few out, sounds cool! thanks guys!!

jumar
04-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Where do you live? There might be caves in your area or on the way to Zion's.

DiscGo
04-26-2008, 07:54 PM
axpense lives in Provo. He is a good friend of mine.

Alex- Jumar is the man when it comes to spelunking \ caving. It would behoove you to make friends with him if you want to do any caving.

jumar
04-28-2008, 06:54 AM
If you're in Provo, let's go do some Utah County caves. I know this area much better than Zion's (at least for caves).
You should come too Discgo

Axpence
06-04-2008, 11:52 AM
If you're in Provo, let's go do some Utah County caves. I know this area much better than Zion's (at least for caves).
You should come too Discgo

that would be fun! sorry i didnt see this post until just now jumar. that'd be awesome.