PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Zion Noobfest June 6-9 - See 1st post for info summary

Pages : [1] 2

Sombeech
04-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Bogley N00Bfest - June 6-9 in Zion National Park.

Fest Rule: IF YOUR NAME IS ON THE LIST TO ATTEND AND YOU DON'T SHOW YOU WILL NOT BE WELCOME AT THE NEXT EVENT

Meeting places and times....
Saturday - Zion Visitor Center - 9:00 am
We will pick up all permits for the weekend at this time.

Optional Saturday Night Get-together: Pizza Noodle 7pm - Sadly they only take cash and local checks. They do serve beer.

Sunday - Lower Subway Trailhead - 7:00 am

Directions to Lower Subway Trailhead - AKA: Left Fork Trailhead - From the Zion Canyon Visitor Center drive 14 miles west on Highway 9 to the town of Virgin. Turn north (right) on the signed Kolob Reservoir Road. Travel 8.1 miles to the signed Left Fork Trailhead. The trailhead is on the east (right) side of the road and contains a large dirt parking lot, pit toilet and information kiosk. It takes 30 minutes to reach the TH from Springdale. Don't be late, we will not wait.

Saturday's 24 N00bs and Helpers doing Pine Creek and Keyhole.
This group will be heading for Pine Creek First.
1. A.J.
2. John - alusul
3. Shaun
4. Allison
5. DiscGo
6. Warren
7. Axpence
8. J-Rob
9. Glasscutter
10. Shagster
11. Hanker
12. Bo (if his injured shoulder allows him to do it)

This group will be heading for Keyhole first.
1 Ice
2. Tanya
3. Alex
4. Adam
5. Hank
6. Randi
7. Felicia (John, Felicia)
8. John (John, Felicia)
9. Win
10. Scott - Acca - (Acca, Shagster, Glasscutter, Beech, Hanker)
11. Justin - (Acca, Shagster, Glasscutter, Beech, Hanker)

Sunday Group doing the Subway or Subway and Das Boot.
This group will be heading for Subway.
1. Bo
2. DiscGo
3. Warren
4. Shagster
5. Justin
6. Hanker
7. Glasscutter
8. Win

This group will be heading for Das Boot.
1. Hank
2. Randi
3. Felicia (John, Felicia)
4. John (John, Felicia)
5. John - alusul
6. A.J.

Break-away groups - These groups have nothing to do with the main Noobfest groups. Please contact the person in charge of that group to sign up for it.

Saturday's Break-away Groups for "harder canyons."

Nelson and Rock's Group - Saturday
1. Nelson
2. Jason
3. Mike
4. Justin - Rockgremlin
Contact Nelson or Rock for more information

Courtney's Group - Saturday: Cable Mtn w/Hidden Canyon descent
1. CP - Courtney
2. DB - Deann
3. Eiji
4. Andy
Contact Courtney for more information.

Jaxx's Group to Fat Man's Misery - Saturday
1. Jaxx
2. canyongirl
3. Caccc
4. Caccc's wife
5. Tyson
6. Tyson's GF
Trip Full. Contact Jaxx for more info.

Don's Das Boot Trip for Saturday
1. Don
2. Josh
Contact Don for more info

Sunday's Break-away Groups for a "harder canyon"

Courtney's Group - Sunday: Mystery and an early morning Peak bag before that.
1. CP - Courtney
2. DB - Deann
3. Sherry
4. Jeff Bell
5. Eiji
Contact Courtney for more info

Jaxx's Pine Creek Group - Sunday
1. Jaxx
2. canyongirl
3. Caccc
4. Caccc's wife
5. Don
6. Josh
7. Tyson
8. Tyson's GF
Contact Jaxx for more info.

Red Cave on Sunday
Located in Mt. Carmel - No ropes are needed, but there is lots of downclimbing. How hard the obstacles are depends on the sand level on the day you do it, which in this canyon changes often.
1. Nelson
2. Rockgremlin
3. Adam
4. Alex -
6. Shaun
7. Kyrell
8. Ice
9. Tanya
Contact Nelson or Rock for more info.

There is lots of fun climbing (up and down) in Red Cave!
Ice Man in Red Cave....
http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/slot-red-cave-9c_jpg.jpg

Read below before asking questions:

Important! We are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. You need to be able to do Pine Creek and Keyhole with a group. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle to shore and you do not 'freak-out' when swimming in darkish, cold canyons.

Equipment:
Everyone is responsible for a harness, one locking biner, and a rappel devise that you know how to use! A shortie wetsuit is required as a minimum, neoprene socks, canyon shoes, helmets are advised, (bicycle helmets work for noobs). You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. You can probably beg, borrow or rent - rentals are available in Springdale. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out.

Canyoneering Gear
http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

If you feel you need help in the canyons message (PM) Iceaxe.... but ultimately....
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

There is no cost for this trip, but permits do cost money. It is good manners if everyone gave the folks who pick up the permits $5 for each route you do. So bring a couple of $5 bills in your pack. We'll let you know who picked up the permits.

Rope: We need several folks to bring rope, and plan on sorting them in the parking lot on Saturday morning. We will be in larger groups and we can move faster if we have the ability to fix several rappels at once and we are hoping to fix the first few raps so we can move faster.

Buddies: We are attempting to group those who car pool, camp or room together into the same groups, so check out the master list above. Those with brackets after your name will be grouped together due to personal logistics. If your partner is not bracketed with you, don't expect to be kept together. It is up to you to let us know who you car pool with. This is already a big project, so please do not ask to be grouped with someone if it's not a matter of staying together for personal logistics. We are going to do the best we can to mix up the groups from Saturday to Sunday so you will be with some new people both days and get a chance to meet others.

What to Expect: Understand that Pine Creek is not an easy canyon. You will be doing long, awkward and free-hanging rappels into VERY COLD water and some rappels drop into water where you will have to swim. Make sure you are comfortable with this trip before you sign up for it. This is not a guided trip since that is not allowed in Zion. It is groups of friends doing canyons together. You need to be able to put on a harness, clip into the rope, and rappel safely and calmly without freaking out - which Noob's DO in Pine Creek! The technical aspects of Pine Creek are not 'easy' although this canyon does take less time to complete than most of Zion's canyons because you park and enter and after completing the canyon the exit hike is not too time consuming. Also keep in mind that the Subway and Pine Creek can be physically exhausting if you are not use to doing these types of canyons.

Pine Creek Info:
Shane's Info: http://climb-utah.com/Zion/pinecreek.htm
Bo's Info: http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-pine-creek.htm
Tom's Info: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/pine.htm

Notice the party time guys! Let's shoot for 7pm since some people like to go to bed early because they need their beauty sleep for the canyons. Randi and Felicia are in charge of the parties, but I threw up a time ladies so those leaving now know when we can meet.
:rockon: :afro: :drums: :banana: :guitar: :clap:

Friday Night Get-together
:spruceup: :nomystery: :knary: :whistling: :dizzy: :Ahnuld: :drink: :eat: :pitcher: :roll_lol: :friday: :cheers: :five:

Bit n' Spur - 7pm Salon and Mexican Restaurant
http://www.bitandspur.com/

Saturday Night Get-together
:spruceup: :nomystery: :knary: :whistling: :dizzy: :Ahnuld: :drink: :eat: :pitcher: :roll_lol: :friday: :cheers: :five:

Pizza Noodle 7pm
Sadly they only take cash and local checks. They do serve beer.
http://www.zionpizzanoodle.com/home.html

abirken
04-13-2008, 08:47 PM
So refreshing and easy to check up on the event now. Good move Beech! :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
04-14-2008, 06:22 AM
If Bo and Christian are for sure coming, then I'm demoting myself to helper, and those two to leaders. I can help with anchors, raps, etc, but those two have probably done all of the canyons on the list at least twice.

Bo_Beck
04-14-2008, 07:21 AM
If Bo and Christian are for sure coming, then I'm demoting myself to helper, and those two to leaders. I can help with anchors, raps, etc, but those two have probably done all of the canyons on the list at least twice.

Whoa nelly! I would much prefer to lend a hand, but I'm a bit leary about being "leader". I best enjoy taking part, but not in my best interest to be classified leader. Sorry :ne_nau: Bo

Iceaxe
04-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Someone has been to a few too many ACA gigs.... we don't have leaders :haha:

I have removed the "leader" tags from the list.... this is just a bunch of friends doing canyons together and is not official in any form. You are ultimately responsible for your own safety. We will do a good job of spreading talent among the noob's.......

And please keep the list at the top of this post current.

:cool2:

Alex
04-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Seems like the best people to reserve the camp spots would be the ones closer to Zion and who know the "cool" spots.

Iceaxe
04-14-2008, 09:16 AM
It doesn't work like that Alex.... if folks want to camp someone needs to set up and reserve a group site in the campground.... or maybe try and reserve several spots next to each other. I know some will stay in motel rooms and most of the locals go home to sleep.... a group site ends up being a place to socialize and for those camping a place to pitch a tent.

So.... who wants a turn in the barrel? Someone who plans to camp needs to step up and take charge of this part of the deal....

Alex
04-14-2008, 09:21 AM
I was just saying someone who is closer to the park would know which camp sites are better to reserve within the campgrounds.

You know where I am staying, Shane.....as always :haha:

tanya
04-14-2008, 09:30 AM
There are 2 campground in the park. South Campground and Watchman, but I think only the Watchman has group sites?

Watchman Campground
Open: Year-round Reservations: March 20, 2008 through October 25, 2008. Group camping is available at the Watchman Campground. There are seven group sites that can accommodate groups varying in size from 9 to 50 people. Tents are the only type of camping equipment allowed in the Group Sites.

Group Campground reservations can be made by calling 877-444-6777 or online at
http://www.recreation.gov/homeLeft.do?topTabIndex=CampingSpot

The Watchman Campground is near the south entrance at Springdale.
All campsites are drive-up and allow a maximum of two vehicles. Each campground has overflow parking for excess vehicles.
Check out time is 11:00 a.m.

Comfort stations provide flush toilets, cold running drinkable water, and trash containers, but no showers or electrical outlets. Each campsite has a picnic table and fire pit with attached grill. Quiet hours are 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.

Showers

* Tsunami Java & Juice (ph #: 435.772.3237)- First building on the R when you leave the park from the S entrance; 8.00 - 18.30, 7 days/wk; $4 for unlimited time

* Zion Canyon Campground (ph #: 435.772.3237)- .5 mi from the S entrance of the park on the L side of the road in Springdale; 8.00 - 20.00, 7 days/wk

* Zion Rock & Mtn Guides (435.772.3303)- 1.5 mi from the S entrance of the park on the R side of the road in Springdale; 8.00 - 19.00, 7 days/wk

Odie_Canyon
04-14-2008, 10:52 AM
I miss out on the early planning, so this trip gets moved outside Zion and my skills of sitting in line at 3 am are no longer needed?

Can I count on somebody flacking and just show up for this one or is it too late?

Iceaxe
04-14-2008, 11:19 AM
The group limit is currently capped at 24 because we didn't want this to get out of control before we could get a handle on the situation.....

If you want to join the fun please add your name to the waiting list and give us a chance to get this under control.... depending on a lot of things.... we could expand the size of the event. Those on the waiting list that can provide a needed service might be given some preferential treatment.... The preferential treatment is to make sure we have enough talent to spread among the novice.

And anyone currently willing to take on the group campground responsibilities moves to the head of the class.....

FOX
04-14-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm a little late to this party but I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and plan on going down...especially if Christian is going to be there! It'd be great if we could get a small group together and do Heaps. High on my list to hit this year.

Iceaxe
04-14-2008, 11:37 AM
It'd be great if we could get a small group together and do Heaps.

Heaps is NOT a canyon suitable for a Noobfest.... Think easy canyons that you can get noobs through safe and fast... Experience is expected to mentor novice at a noob fest.

Don't make me stop this noob-fest and come back there and smack you... :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

:five:

nelsonccc
04-14-2008, 11:43 AM
I miss out on the early planning, so this trip gets moved outside Zion and my skills of sitting in line at 3 am are no longer needed?

Can I count on somebody flacking and just show up for this one or is it too late?

I already signed you up last week for your permit getting abilities. Check the earlier posts. Not sure why your name is shared with Price. I even had you down as one of the helpers on page 14 before it got split.

nelsonccc
04-14-2008, 11:46 AM

Ahhh. I love you too.

Looks like anybody with experience is going to be needed for this thing.

nelsonccc
04-14-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm a little late to this party but I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and plan on going down...especially if Christian is going to be there! It'd be great if we could get a small group together and do Heaps. High on my list to hit this year.

Look at all the love I'm getting. Luckily theres enough of me to go around.

With me, Jason, Alex, Mike, Shane, and Justin you know there's going to be a good time somewhere.

Iceaxe
04-14-2008, 12:14 PM
you know there's going to be a good time somewhere.

It's all fun and games until Shane ends up in handcuffs.... isn't that right LJ? :ne_nau:

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Alex
04-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Man, everyone is coming out of the woods, my vote goes to expand the people limit and split the noobfest trips into two or what not. Then get together at night for some bsing. I'd hate to turn folks away, especially the ones who have showed up to the events in the past and are reliable.

Odie_Canyon
04-14-2008, 12:22 PM
I already signed you up last week for your permit getting abilities. Check the earlier posts. Not sure why your name is shared with Price. I even had you down as one of the helpers on page 14 before it got split.

Is Price - Jason intended to be "Nelson's Buddy" If so, remove Odie from the waiting list, and if not... :frustrated:

nelsonccc
04-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Man, everyone is coming out of the woods, my vote goes to expand the people limit and split the noobfest trips into two or what not. Then get together at night for some bsing. I'd hate to turn folks away, especially the ones who have showed up to the events in the past and are reliable.

What about setting it up like a TomFest? Each 'leader' can pick a canyon, arrange for permits, then allow others to join up. That way we can accomodate the needs of 20-30 people. Especially 'cause you know there will be a buttload of people that want to do Pine, Keyhole, and Misery, but there will also be a lot of that have done those and want something different? I think hauling 24 people through Birch or Misery will be tough, hell even taking 12 through those canyons at a time will be hard. My thoughts on the matter.

Iceaxe
04-14-2008, 12:25 PM
If anyone wants to expand the noob fest then step up and start organizing part of it. Tanya has done a good job of getting things rolling so far. I've said I would help out but I'm not in charge of this deal.... hell, I haven't even told my wife I'm going yet.... :haha:

rockgremlin
04-14-2008, 12:26 PM

This is quickly going the way of a "Tom's Fest." Which is not a bad thing. The way Tom manages his fests are just a common campspot/meeting area. The canyon trips are managed by those who are willing to lead, and those who sign up to those specific canyons. The experience level for each canyon is stated beforehand so that noobs know not to sign on to the experienced trips. I don't see a problem with mixing in a few experienced canyons as long as the experience level is stated before-hand, and there is enough leadership to go around.

Iceaxe
04-14-2008, 12:33 PM
This is quickly going the way of a "Tom's Fest." Which is not a bad thing.

Big Difference.... at a Tom Fest everyone is expected to have basic skills down.... we have folks coming with little or no skills....

And that's it for me.... I'm stepping out of this thread.... you guys let me know what you have worked out when your finished organizing. I'm good with whatever you guys work out.

:drums:

Alex
04-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Big Difference.... at a Tom Fest everyone is expected to have basic skills down.... we have folks coming with little or no skills....

And that's it for me.... I'm stepping out of this thread.... you guys let me know what you have worked out when your finished organizing. I'm good with whatever you guys work out.

:drums:

Sorry, didn't mean to stir things up. Shane, the trips I have been on that you organized always worked out really well. So, I'll just shut up and sit in the pick up line.

:popcorn:

rockgremlin
04-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Can we make this thread any more dramatic please?

This isn't too difficult a thing to work out. The proposed canyons up to this point were:

Non Permitted Canyons:

1. Birch
2. Red Cave
3. Yankee Doodle
4. Misery

Permitted Canyons:

1. Pine Creek
2. Subway

Up to this point we're fine. A few have proposed to do some canyons that are not noob friendly, which is fine in my opinion as long as someone is willing to step up to the plate and "lead" that canyon -- AND that everyone in this fest is well aware that it isn't a canyon for noobs.

That said, those who want to do more technical canyons -- Step up, and throw down your name as a leader. Limit the group size, and only accept sign-ons that are competent.

Personally, I would like to do something a little more technical one day. I could lead one day, and the other do something a little more meaty.

Iceaxe
04-14-2008, 01:30 PM
I didn't mean to make this dramatic... I'm just telling you guys the same thing I have said all along.... I'm not organizing this trip! It's up to you guys to get it done. I'll help where I can. I'll advise when asked.

Tanya has done a nice job of organizing a list of who is coming.

Several folks were working on getting permits and trips together for everyone. If you want to step up and put a trip together please do so.... but understand you are expected to take noobs on your trip and not strip the group of talent (which a Heaps type of trip would do).

You guys still need someone to step up and handle camping arrangements....

And when I said I was stepping out of the thread that just meant I was giving you guys some room to work.... so go for it....

:rockon:

FOX
04-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Don't make me stop this noob-fest and come back there and smack you... :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

I know Heaps is NOT suitable for noobs. :lol8: I'm just suggesting that if there happens to be enough leadership to go around, then it might be possible to swing a run down Heaps or something of that calibre with a smaller, experienced crew. Just a thought. :2thumbs:

Randi
04-14-2008, 01:59 PM

I know Heaps is NOT suitable for noobs. :lol8: I'm just suggesting that if there happens to be enough leadership to go around, then it might be possible to swing a run down Heaps or something of that calibre with a smaller, experienced crew. Just a thought. :2thumbs:

I think it would be "OK" too, to have folks doing Big canyons and small canyons at noobfest, as long as noobs have some experienced people to go down suitable canyons with.

I'll stick with the noobs, but I would want another experienced person with me. I'm mainly coming to meet you all and hang out at camp. I'd actually rather do easy/short canyons on this trip so I can maximize the hang out time.

So if anyone wants to lead a canyon, and put me down as helper - I'm "in".

I'd rather NOT become part of the organization team either. You don't want me organizing anything! :nono:

My organizational skills are nearly as bad as my navigational skills.

PS: I'll take a short request list if anyone wants anything from Trader Joes! Payment upon reciept will be required! :mrgreen:

UtahAdventureGuide
04-14-2008, 02:15 PM
I've got a Subway permit for 8 people on the 7th. I applied for the lotter 3 months ago and just happened to get awarded the permit during the n00b fest. I'll probably have a couple spots open, i'll know more the closer we get.

Randi
04-14-2008, 02:19 PM
I've got a Subway permit for 8 people on the 7th. I applied for the lotter 3 months ago and just happened to get awarded the permit during the n00b fest. I'll probably have a couple spots open, i'll know more the closer we get.

I haven't done the subway and would like to, so if you need a helper ~ here I am! Keep me in mind?
:mrgreen: Would you be looking at doing Das Boot as well?

Jaxx
04-14-2008, 02:28 PM
There are no more group sites available for Friday through Sunday. They do have 22 single sites available with 2 cars per site, overflow available for extra cars. The max # if people is 6 per site, 2 tents max per site.
http://tinyurl.com/5n9zav
http://tinyurl.com/5dlauh
What are peoples thoughts on this. Do we want to try to reserve some sites or try to get us all in the misquito cove camp area? How many are planning on staying in a hotel? How many are planning on camping? Lets get a tally going.

ok last edit: I am planning on camping. I have stayed at the misquito cove twice and haven't had a problem getting a spot, of course it was for 4 people for one night not 24 people for 3 nights.

trackrunner
04-14-2008, 02:37 PM
There are no more group sites available for Friday through Sunday. They do have 22 single sites available with 2 cars per site, overflow available for extra cars. The max # if people is 6 per site, 2 tents max per site.
What are peoples thoughts on this. Do we want to try to reserve some sites or try to get us all in the misquito cove camp area? How many are planning on staying in a hotel? How many are planning on camping?
I'll be staying with relatives and drive in.

trackrunner
04-14-2008, 02:43 PM

What about setting it up like a TomFest? Each 'leader' can pick a canyon, arrange for permits, then allow others to join up. That way we can accomodate the needs of 20-30 people. Especially 'cause you know there will be a buttload of people that want to do Pine, Keyhole, and Misery, but there will also be a lot of that have done those and want something different? I think hauling 24 people through Birch or Misery will be tough, hell even taking 12 through those canyons at a time will be hard. My thoughts on the matter.
I agree with Nelson that 24 may be too many people in a canyon. I think braking up into smaller groups and rotating the groups among the canyons would be better. Then meet up for group stuff. But we need leaders to step up. I'd help a leader with noobs or even be a leader myself if needed. Nelson mentioned in another post Rock Canyon, I've wanted to do that one, maybe us two should team up. :five:

abirken
04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
What are peoples thoughts on this. Do we want to try to reserve some sites or try to get us all in the misquito cove camp area? How many are planning on staying in a hotel? How many are planning on camping? Lets get a tally going.

ok last edit: I am planning on camping. I have stayed at the misquito cove twice and haven't had a problem getting a spot, of course it was for 4 people for one night not 24 people for 3 nights.

I am planning on camping. I just checked this site you mentioned above. Most likely, I will end up reserving a spot. Looks like we should all pick similar 'loops' for socializing?

Jaxx
04-15-2008, 08:29 AM
I am planning on camping. I just checked this site you mentioned above. Most likely, I will end up reserving a spot. Looks like we should all pick similar 'loops' for socializing?

I think they assign you a spot when you get to the gate. When I went with a group about this size last year we had the people explain that they were with a group when you get to the campground. They were pretty cool about trying to keep us close.

Jaxx
04-15-2008, 08:51 AM
For those camping is it worth trying to reserve a spot or should we try to get a big spot at mosquito cove, which is free.
If someone can get down there early enough on Friday to get a big chunk of the area then we might be able to not make every car pay for the entrance fee to get into the park. We could leave some of the cars at the camp and carpool into the park and split the $25 entry fee.
It seems like that might be more complicated to save a few bucks though. So people that are camping, what do you think? Reserve or dirtbag it?

Campers - Locals - Hotel list has been relocated to the #1 post in this thread. I'll try and keep all important info in the #1 thread. -Ice

abirken
04-15-2008, 10:14 PM
For those camping is it worth trying to reserve a spot or should we try to get a big spot at mosquito cove, which is free.
If someone can get down there early enough on Friday to get a big chunk of the area then we might be able to not make every car pay for the entrance fee to get into the park. We could leave some of the cars at the camp and carpool into the park and split the $25 entry fee.
It seems like that might be more complicated to save a few bucks though. So people that are camping, what do you think? Reserve or dirtbag it?

Campers - Locals - Hotel list has been relocated to the #1 post in this thread. I'll try and keep all important info in the #1 thread. -Ice

Because I am unsure of where Mosquito cove is at, I am going to say that maybe we should just do the camping you first mentioned in the above links? Honestly, I am unsure of where anything is at at this point. My first trip into Zion so it will all be new to me.

rockgremlin
04-16-2008, 05:46 AM
Mike and I will be camping....somewhere...

nelsonccc
04-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Jason and I will be camping.

I've always preferred the Smith Mesa road since its higher, hence cooler and can accomodate big groups. Granted there's no bathrooms or water but hey its fun to poop in the woods.

I've stayed at mosquito before and never been a big fan of it, so many better, free camping spots in the area. I definately won't be staying in the campgrounds but i'll hang out and visit all night.

abirken
04-16-2008, 07:18 AM
I'm leaving this one up to you all! You guys lead, I will follow. So Tanya if you were us, sounds like you would do Mosquito Cove? I know you know the area like the back of your hand and totally trust your opinion. From the way you describe it, sounds like an awesome spot! I'm not one for curfews anyway....... :2thumbs: I'll continue to watch everyones suggestions and just go with it.

rockgremlin
04-16-2008, 07:47 AM
I would go to Smith's Mesa if that's where the men are going. :lol8:

That's where Mike and I are camping too. Need directions?

tanya
04-16-2008, 08:15 AM
I would go to Smith's Mesa if that's where the men are going. :lol8:

That's where Mike and I are camping too. Need directions?

I know the area well. Just hang your leopard skins on the tent and I will let all the ladies know where you are. :2thumbs:

This sounds like its the camping spot to be at!

Jaxx
04-16-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm leaving this one up to you all! You guys lead, I will follow. So Tanya if you were us, sounds like you would do Mosquito Cove? I know you know the area like the back of your hand and totally trust your opinion. From the way you describe it, sounds like an awesome spot! I'm not one for curfews anyway....... :2thumbs: I'll continue to watch everyones suggestions and just go with it.

The downside to the other places outside of Zions campground (Watchman) is that there are no toilets. So keep that in mind.

Alex
04-16-2008, 01:32 PM
That's what the shovels are for, Jaxx.... honestly :roll:

:lol8:

Brewhaha
04-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Looks like I'll have to miss out on this one. I'll be watching for the next one. Have fun and be safe.

SLCmntjunkie
04-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I'll be camping

tanya
04-16-2008, 08:13 PM
I'll be camping

Smiths Mesa or Zion Campgrounds?

SLCmntjunkie
04-17-2008, 07:21 AM
I'll be camping

Smiths Mesa or Zion Campgrounds?

I don't know, I'll camp wherever the majority is.

accadacca
04-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Just hang your leopard skins on the tent and I will let all the ladies know where you are. :2thumbs: [/color]
:lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

AJ
04-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Man, I leave the thread for a couple of days, and I get dropped from the list completely. Hint? ;) (Yeah, I know, I was just a maybe...)

Anyway, I guess I'll just sign up on the waitlist as soon as I know for sure or not. If I don't get in, maybe I'll just plan my own gig and come visit during the evenings (if we are back in time...)

Sounds like a good time!

I'd like to know the directions to the Smith Mesa camp area. I know a couple of spots, but don't know what they are called. Might already know about it, but not sure. Is it big enough to hold a group of this size?

Take care,
A.J.

rockgremlin
04-18-2008, 05:38 AM
A.J. -- just come. We could use the experience, and I'll bet there will be more than a few drop off the list before then.

Iceaxe
04-18-2008, 07:18 AM
If we have more experience sign up we can easily expand the group size. The main reason with capping things where we did was so that we could maintain a reasonable ratio of experience to novice. The canyons on the hit list are not really challenging technically..... we just need folks along on each trip so when someone gets there mommy or daddy parts caught in the rappel device we can get them down.

So if folks are interested in attending put your name on the wait list so we know what we have to work with. If someone feels confident in handling a small group we will find a place for you.

AJ
04-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Awww... *sniff* You do love me... :haha:

That's cool. Thanks for the info. I'm still in the "maybe" category at this point, but am trying to see what I can line up. (Though it will be a couple of weeks as I'm completely slammed with house, work and other trip stuff right now.) If I'm able to go, I'm more than happy to help out....

Take care,
A.J.

DiscGo
04-21-2008, 06:48 AM
If there is space for me, I would love to come. I also have a friend who I believe would want to come with me if possible.

nelsonccc
04-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Allright so what are the canyon expectations of those coming down? Which canyons are you guys thinking? I'll be around all day Sunday and can show some people a good time in the canyons on sunday. Any requests? A Kehole/Pine combo? That's good for those that havn't been to Zion. Maybe an Echo/Pine combo? Or Spry or maybe a Telephone/Behunin combo?

Let me know what everybody is thinking for sunday.

abirken
04-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Allright so what are the canyon expectations of those coming down? Which canyons are you guys thinking? I'll be around all day Sunday and can show some people a good time in the canyons on sunday. Any requests? A Kehole/Pine combo? That's good for those that havn't been to Zion. Maybe an Echo/Pine combo? Or Spry or maybe a Telephone/Behunin combo?

I've never been and I'm going to play follow the leader. I'm wide open to any suggestions and any adventure....... :2thumbs: :nod: I believe there is a list at the beginning of this thread on what canyons we are all thinking of doing??

trackrunner
04-22-2008, 10:01 AM

With that large of a group of noobs I think Birch, Fat Man's, Yankee would be better. Maybe one day we could split into smaller groups and get permits, but only if enough leadership to help the noobs along.

DiscGo
04-22-2008, 07:21 PM
I know I found out about this late, and have added my name late so I get it if there is not space for me and my friend but I just want to post again how VERY interested in this I am. There could not be a better time for me to go, and I have already taken that Friday off of work just in case.

SLCmntjunkie
04-22-2008, 07:34 PM
so whats the plan for gear? I'm assuming that a lot of people won't have a harness, wetsuit and most of the gear needed. Seems like this should be addressed sooner than later, I can see people backing out if they need to go spend a bunch of money on gear.

I have extra gear I can loan out, enough to outfit maybe two people, except for wetsuits.

Iceaxe
04-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Equipment:
Everyone is responsible for a harness, one locking biner, and a rappel devise. A shortie wetsuit is required as a minimum, Helmets are advised, bicycle helmets work for noobs. You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. For those without this equipment you can probably beg, barrow or rent. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out....

Anything I forgot? That list is a minimum.

Read this before you start asking equipment questions, it might help

Canyoneering Gear

Iceaxe
04-22-2008, 08:22 PM
1 Shane - The name was given to the children of those who were considered "criminally genius".

Where do you people find this stuff???

:ne_nau:

abirken
04-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Equipment:

Read this before you start asking equipment questions, it might help

Canyoneering Gear

DON'T FORGET TO REP-RI-ZENT at the Noobfest with your BOGLEY NALGENE WATER BOTTLE!!! Everyone order one today!! $8 bucks and the shipping is on BOGLEY. :2thumbs:

DiscGo
04-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Can you use climbing harnesses? If so, I believe I have 3 extra (if I can find them) or at the very at least at least one.

Iceaxe
04-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Can you use climbing harnesses?

A climbing harness and a canyoneering harness are the same thing....

You could actually skip a harness for Subway if you bring 12' of webbing... I'll teach you to tie a swami if you are in my group. But you will need a real harness for Pinecreek.

I'm not sure yet how the groups will shake out....

Bo_Beck
04-23-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't know if I'm allowed to do this, but I'll try and if it ends up in the trash I will understand.
For those needing a harness, I have 3 new BD Alpine Bod size small Harnesses I would let go for $20 each. I have 3 new regular BD Bods size Small, Large and Medium (1 each) I would let go for $30. I also have 2 New New BD Vario Speed Adjust Harnesses I will make a special deal to anyone attending the Noobfest...Reg. $54.99 and would sell for $40 each. Give me a call or reply to this post and If you are interested and i can bring them up on Sat. Morning. 1-800-726-8106 and ask for Bo.

Bo_Beck
04-23-2008, 04:22 PM
I also have a pretty good asst. of drybags and would be glad to offer some sort of deal...Mostly the Sea to Summit Drybags?

Iceaxe
04-23-2008, 05:40 PM
I don't know if I'm allowed to do this, but I'll try and if it ends up in the trash I will understand.

Pimping gear and such that is relative to the website is acceptable.... spamming is not... those that contribute to the forum are allowed a lot more room to operate. Tom, Bo and Jared (along with a few others) are considered to have pretty much free range because they all provide a great knowledge base to this forum.

Moderator hat off.

Bo_Beck
04-23-2008, 06:03 PM

Pimping gear and such that is relative to the website is acceptable.... spamming is not... those that contribute to the forum are allowed a lot more room to operate. Tom, Bo and Jared (along with a few others) are considered to have pretty much free range because they all provide a great knowledge base to this forum.

Moderator hat off.

Thanks Ice! I just saw the post that some folks might need some gear and It's the least I can do to help save a few $$$$ as I know the commute from SLC that used to be $80 is now double that! :roll:

DiscGo
04-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Can you use climbing harnesses?

A climbing harness and a canyoneering harness are the same thing....

You could actually skip a harness for Subway if you bring 12' of webbing... I'll teach you to tie a swami if you are in my group. But you will need a real harness for Pinecreek.

I'm not sure yet how the groups will shake out....

Shane-
You are one of only two people on this site that I have met in real life, so if I am able to come I would love to be in your group!

I know I found out about this late, and have added my name late so I get it if there is not space for me and my friend but I just want to post again how VERY interested in this I am. There could not be a better time for me to go, and I have already taken that Friday off of work just in case.

With option for break-away groups I bet we will be able to sqeeze you into the N00b group. :2thumbs:

I would love that so much!!!!

DiscGo
04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Even if there ends up not being room for me to canyoneer on this trip, I think I am still going to go down that weekend to hang out with people from the site.

I am headed down from Orem if anybody wants to carpool.

DiscGo
04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
P.S. I have a national parks pass, and I am camping but don't know where yet.

Assuming my friend does come, I have space for two additional people I can bring if anybody wants to ride down (though I took off work on Friday and am hoping to go down Thursday night. That may be more time than most of you are taking).

Cirrus2000
04-24-2008, 12:00 AM
I am headed down from Orem if anybody wants to carpool.
Think you could make a detour up to Vancouver? :ne_nau:

I'd seriously love to take part in this thing, but another trip is just not in the cards right now... Hope everyone has a great time, and I'll be thinking about all the fun I'm missing out on!

DiscGo
04-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Sorry Kevin. I wish you could be there!

Bo_Beck
04-24-2008, 07:08 AM
I also have a pretty good asst. of drybags and would be glad to offer some sort of deal...Mostly the Sea to Summit Drybags?

I need to pick up one of those next trip to town! I always forget those. I am going to check out my new 5 finger shoes on the treadmill in the morning!

My funny new canyoneering shoes I got at the Outdoor Outlet today!http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/images/products/105/small.jpg

Just be sure to bring your exums or water tennies this saturday just in case the "Fivefingers" don't live up to your expectations on our slot hike!

Iceaxe
04-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Those Camping at Smith Mesa:

We need someone who is camping at Smith Meas and familiar with the area to maybe step up and take over that deal..... All you would really need to do is make sure you are there a little early and post some signs on the road in. I know there are some nice big campsite back in there. I can provide driving instructions for you to the Smith mesa Road.

Come on folks.... someone needs to handle this part of the deal...

Bo_Beck
04-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Those Camping at Smith Mesa:

We need someone who is camping at Smith Meas and familiar with the area to maybe step up and take over that deal..... All you would really need to do is make sure you are there a little early and post some signs on the road in. I know there are some nice big campsite back in there. I can provide driving instructions for you to the Smith mesa Road.

Come on folks.... someone needs to handle this part of the deal...

Don't know if this map will help? Here is a map that I think puts a person Close?

tanya
04-24-2008, 07:33 AM
For those needing a harness, I have 3 new BD Alpine Bod size small Harnesses I would let go for $20 each. I have 3 new regular BD Bods size Small, Large and Medium (1 each) I would let go for $30. I also have 2 New New BD Vario Speed Adjust Harnesses I will make a special deal to anyone attending the Noobfest...Reg. $54.99 and would sell for $40 each. Give me a call or reply to this post and If you are interested and i can bring them up on Sat. Morning. 1-800-726-8106 and ask for Bo.

These are great prices by the way! Do you have helmets?

Best Helmet Thread
http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10784&start=0

Best Wetsuit Thread
http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10785&start=0

Might as well check out the best underwater camera thread too. :haha:
http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9483&start=0

rockgremlin
04-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Cody lives right close to there. Hey Cody - can you post up some signs?

What about abirken? I thought she was camping out too (hopefully with us?) :mrgreen:

rockgremlin
04-24-2008, 07:51 AM
I think the tentative plan for the breakaway group is:

Saturday - Nelson, Cody, Mike (kyrell), Rock, possibly A.J., plus one or two others will be doing something along the lines of Boundary or Eye.

Sunday - Everyone in the above list will be helping out with n00b canyons - something along the lines of Birch, or Misery.

abirken
04-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Cody lives right close to there. Hey Cody - can you post up some signs?

What about abirken? I thought she was camping out too (hopefully with us?) :mrgreen:
I've whimped out and decided to opt for a soft bed and hot shower. I know. I know.....don't give me any grief. HEHE!!!!

:2thumbs:

rockgremlin
04-24-2008, 08:11 AM
I've whimped out and decided to opt for a soft bed and hot shower. I know. I know.....don't give me any grief. HEHE!!!!

Grrrrrrrrr! Depending on the weather, I might just wanna join ya!

abirken
04-24-2008, 08:15 AM

Grrrrrrrrr! Depending on the weather, I might just wanna join ya!

Once I heard there was also a pool at the motel...........I was sold. HAHA!! This is my 'Mommys weekend away' for sure so I opted for comfort. Hiking hard during the day with a cool group of new/noob friends, playing in the pool, dinner/drinks with cool new/noob friends and a nice soft bed at the end of it all. :haha:

Bo_Beck
04-24-2008, 08:17 AM
I think the tentative plan for the breakaway group is:

Saturday - Nelson, Cody, Mike (kyrell), Rock, possibly A.J., plus one or two others will be doing something along the lines of Boundary or Eye.

Sunday - Everyone in the above list will be helping out with n00b canyons - something along the lines of Birch, or Misery.

Not to bust your baloon or stir up a tsunami, but I know that for permits for Kolob Creek (lower) where Oak comes in or Boundary the water level needs to be fairly low? I called backcountry and they will get back to me today, but I think it is less than either 15 or 25cfs? I also called WCWCD and asked if they are releasing water and they said no, but that water levels are rising by the hour with snowmelt from natural flow. I am guessing that by June 7 the flows will be very high even without release by WCWCD and even higher if they do start releasing? I will certainly keep you posted, but if you want to call yourself...1-435-772-0170 for Backcountry and 1-435-673-3617 for WCWCD.
YHou may want to plan a contingency plan?

Iceaxe
04-24-2008, 08:32 AM
You don't need a permit for Boundary or Eye. neither route contains any technical skills inside park boundaries.

You can also easily do Eye or Boundary at a much higher flow.... 30 cfs is not a problem.

Rock, let us know your plans ASAP so we can adjust the lists... also... it might be nice if you guys grabbed a strong hiking noob to join you... nothing like teaching a noob to carry the rope. :haha:

rockgremlin
04-24-2008, 08:45 AM
You don't need a permit for Boundary or Eye. neither route contains any technical skills inside park boundaries.

You can also easily do Eye or Boundary at a much higher flow.... 30 cfs is not a problem.

Rock, let us know your plans ASAP so we can adjust the lists... also... it might be nice if you guys grabbed a strong hiking noob to join you... nothing like teaching a noob to carry the rope. :haha:

Yeah, I suggested taking a competant n00b or two along with us, which I think is a great idea. Christian has yet to comment on that idea. So - if you're a n00b, and have a few toughies under your belt, and have rolled through at least 8-10 canyons within the last year or two, sign on up! First come, first served. Limit two (for now).

A small disclaimer: Be ready to carry rope, hike for long distances, and not be afraid of big rappels. Ownership of your own gear definitely a plus!

Jaxx
04-24-2008, 08:46 AM
The wife and I will be staying at the smith mesa camp area. I won't be getting there until later on friday night.

tanya
04-24-2008, 08:48 AM

Bo! We need to put those on our to do list since we have not done them! Not during the N00bfest but before or after. :2thumbs:

tanya
04-24-2008, 09:00 AM
If there is space for me, I would love to come. I also have a friend who I believe would want to come with me if possible.

You and your friend are on the list for Saturday so far. If a break-away group forms for Sunday that will open up spots for you on that day. Stay tuned.

You said you will be camping. Are you going to stay with everyone at Smith's Mesa? So far no one is camping anywhere else that I know of.

Alex
04-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I suggested taking a competant n00b or two along with us, which I think is a great idea. Christian has yet to comment on that idea. So - if you're a n00b, and have a few toughies under your belt, and have rolled through at least 8-10 canyons within the last year or two, sign on up! First come, first served. Limit two (for now).

A small disclaimer: Be ready to carry rope, hike for long distances, and not be afraid of big rappels. Ownership of your own gear definitely a plus!

Adam and I are hot, sexy noobs who are willing to do whatever. Or since we went canyoneering with tanya already we don't count as noobs? :ne_nau: More like experienced? :naughty: :haha:

Iceaxe
04-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Or since we went canyoneering with tanya already we don't count as noobs? :ne_nau: More like experienced? :naughty: :haha:

After canyoneering with Tanya I think lost and corrupted for life would be the correct description. :haha:

Yeah Rock, consider taking Adam and Alex with ya.... they would have no problems. And the Saturday canyons would just be a repeat for them from last years fest. And besides.... it's about time Alex was introduced to the MIA so he understands how easy I've been on him. :lol8:

:oops: We did have Shane as our Chaperon :mrgreen:

Talk about the fox guarding the hen house.... :lol8:

rockgremlin
04-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Alex and Adam for a beefier slot on Saturday then. Hey Alex - bring your waterproof camera. :2thumbs:

accadacca
04-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Tanya you are doing a great job keeping this organized on the first page. Very nice! :hail2thechief: :2thumbs:

Can you all imagine the TR's accompanied by hundreds of photos and videos that will be posted to bogley after the n00bfest. :eek2: :five:

tanya
04-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Tanya you are doing a great job keeping this organized on the first page. Very nice! :hail2thechief: :2thumbs:

Can you all imagine the TR's accompanied by hundreds of photos and videos that will be posted to bogley after the n00bfest. :eek2: :five:

Thanks! -- but I am only the helper behind the real brains involved. :mrgreen:

Bogley reports --- that would be what you would be thinking about. :lol8:

accadacca
04-24-2008, 10:16 AM
:mrgreen: Bogley reports --- that would be what you would be thinking about. :lol8: [/color]
Yep, I have actually been monitoring the server capacity and our disk space lately. We might be moving again soon or adding capacity.

Anyway. . .back to the plans. :popcorn:

ratagonia
04-24-2008, 10:55 AM
There are 2 campground in the park. South Campground and Watchman, but I think only the Watchman has group sites?

Watchman Campground
Open: Year-round Reservations: March 20, 2008 through October 25, 2008. Group camping is available at the Watchman Campground. There are seven group sites that can accommodate groups varying in size from 9 to 50 people. Tents are the only type of camping equipment allowed in the Group Sites.

Group Campground reservations can be made by calling 877-444-6777 or online at
http://www.recreation.gov/homeLeft.do?topTabIndex=CampingSpot

The Watchman Campground is near the south entrance at Springdale.
All campsites are drive-up and allow a maximum of two vehicles. Each campground has overflow parking for excess vehicles.
Check out time is 11:00 a.m.

Watchman Group Sites are the way to go. 3$ a head per night. Reserve right away! as they go fast. 1 and 2 are not so hot, but the rest are OK.

Tom

tanya
04-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Watchman Group Sites are the way to go. 3$ a head per night. Reserve right away! as they go fast. 1 and 2 are not so hot, but the rest are OK.

Tom

Coming Tom? Hope So. No fest is complete without the Emporer!

So far all the campers are staying at Smith's Mesa, so if anyone is staying in the park it should be a very small group, but that is great info to have.

Iceaxe
04-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Coming Tom? Hope So. No fest is complete without the Emporer!

Yeah, it would be nice to have the Emporer... most of us have crashed enough of your fests. It's kinda nice when you can just kick back and relax and let others do the chores, you should give it a try.

:kickit:

Alex
04-24-2008, 11:49 AM
... it's about time Alex was introduced to the MIA so he understands how easy I've been on him. :lol8:

OK this is the second time I heard "MIA" and " :lol8: " in the same sentence, so what the hell is this? Should I start getting scared now? :ne_nau:

intellectualdesperado
04-24-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm going to do the subway with utahadventureguide. I would love to help out or just hit some canyons with the non-noobs.

hank moon
04-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Unknown so far
Hank
James W.
Utahadventureguide

i'm in for sure! looking fwd...

hank

Bo_Beck
04-24-2008, 01:00 PM

Oops! :oops: The way it reads according to the Park is: No permit required for Oak or Boundary if exiting MIA since they are not in the park.

Permits required for Kolob Creek upper section. Water less than 5cfs above oak creek; less than 10cfs between oak creek and MIA; less than 15cfs below MIA. Not sure what this all works out to, but the way it reads.

So in conclusion....Boundary or Eye of the Needle "aka'Oak Creek" are a go....just hoping that they (WCWCD) don't start releasing massive amounts of water! :nod: and that the exit is done at MIA?

Sorry for my mis-information in previous post. :ne_nau:

tanya
04-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm going to do the subway with utahadventureguide. I would love to help out or just hit some canyons with the non-noobs.

Very Good! This will be a blast!

Brian in SLC
04-24-2008, 01:11 PM
So in conclusion....Boundary or Eye of the Needle "aka'Oak Creek" are a go....just hoping that they (WCWCD) don't start releasing massive amounts of water! :nod: and that the exit is done at MIA?

Hmmm. You might keep an eyeball on that snowpack level in there. Still showing 20" of snow at Lava Point. And, when Tom and I did Oak Creek in 2001, on 26 May, was still wall to wall snow at one point in the canyon. On a much bigger snow year, hard to say, but, my bet is that you might still see a bit of snow in there.

Also, careful on the flow due to snow melt, too. Brrrr...

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

trackrunner
04-24-2008, 01:12 PM
I thought eye has access issues. Has it changed?

rockgremlin
04-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Hmmm. You might keep an eyeball on that snowpack level in there. Still showing 20" of snow at Lava Point. And, when Tom and I did Oak Creek in 2001, on 26 May, was still wall to wall snow at one point in the canyon. On a much bigger snow year, hard to say, but, my bet is that you might still see a bit of snow in there.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Yeah...I'm startin to see the writing on the wall. Maybe we can work somethin out for a friendlier (ie less snowpacked) route?

SLCmntjunkie
04-24-2008, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't mind giving up my spot on Sunday and doing something a little harder or new to me.

Ryebrye
04-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Utahadventureguide and Porter (whatever his name is on here) told me to come here and say I'm coming along with them.

Don't know what I'm doing, but I'd be up for imlay or heaps sometime. (Not the full imlay, but the sneek-and-peak)

DiscGo
04-24-2008, 05:57 PM

You and your friend are on the list for Saturday so far. If a break-away group forms for Sunday that will open up spots for you on that day. Stay tuned.

You said you will be camping. Are you going to stay with everyone at Smith's Mesa? So far no one is camping anywhere else that I know of.

Yeah, I think I will try and camp at Smith's Mesa just to try and be close to people. I can't tell you guys how excited I am for this trip. Thank you so much for all the work you have done putting this together guys.

nelsonccc
04-24-2008, 06:56 PM

I'm fine with noobs joining as long as they are semi experienced and are okay with the criteria established by Justin. I just don't want the group to get too large.

I'll be up there on the kolob terrace for Memorial weekend so i'll check out the snow levels and the flow, see if i can get to a vantage point that may offer a view of possible snow pack at the bottom. I'm open to suggestion for those coming on Saturday if they have something beefier that they really want to hit.

I think i've got the GPS coord for the usual camping spot at smith mesa. I'll put something together for the location and put it up this weekend.

Getting excited.

ratagonia
04-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Oops! :oops: The way it reads according to the Park is: No permit required for Oak or Boundary if exiting MIA since they are not in the park.

Permits required for Kolob Creek upper section. Water less than 5cfs above oak creek; less than 10cfs between oak creek and MIA; less than 15cfs below MIA. Not sure what this all works out to, but the way it reads.

Sorry for my mis-information in previous post. :ne_nau:

WCWCD won't be releasing water unless the dam is full at that point (unlikely, but possible). Check flow at the Kolob Terrace Road.

Access to Oak Creek is OK - but PLEASE!!!! be very low key. You can park on the road back a 1/4 mile from the no-trespassing GATE and head down the hill into the drainage. No "No Tresspassing" signs seen or passed - perfectly legal. Park well off the road, be ready to go, make very little sound, leave the car quickly.

Word on the street is that Lava Point and Oak Creek will not be open that early. People are expecting it to still be snowed in.

Unfortunately, I am otherwise committed that weekend.

(Buckethead Rules!) Can we get a Buckethead Emoticon?? :rockon:

Tom

Iceaxe
04-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Access to Oak Creek is OK - but PLEASE!!!! be very low key.

It's not trespassing if no one sees you....

cp0915
04-25-2008, 07:01 AM

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Yeah...I'm startin to see the writing on the wall. Maybe we can work somethin out for a friendlier (ie less snowpacked) route?

Courtney is interested in doing a harder canyon during the fest as well. Hopefully he will post his ideas. Maybe you guys could all get together and talk. Someone doing one on Sunday would really help out so more N00bs can do the easier canyons, but as Shane says, without taking all the talent. :haha: It looks like we have talent galore on this trip though!

Sorry for my ignorance about what's going on. I haven't been following the thread.

Anyway, if Eye or Boundary are still on for that Saturday, myself and DB are interested. Or if something else cool is planned, ditto.

As for Sunday, I could dig Englestead or perhaps something like Hidden Canyon from the top. I've done neither but want to do both.

I'm hearing mixed opinions on Corral Hollow. Any good? Questionable in early June?

CP

rockgremlin
04-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Anyway, if Eye or Boundary are still on for that Saturday, myself and DB are interested. Or if something else cool is planned, ditto.

As for Sunday, I could dig Englestead or perhaps something like Hidden Canyon from the top. I've done neither but want to do both.

I'm hearing mixed opinions on Corral Hollow. Any good? Questionable in early June?

CP

Might not be a bad idea to make two breakaway groups for Saturday -- as long as each group is willing to run with a few intermediate n00bs. The two groups could run staggered in the same canyon, or run two different canyons.

Something to think about, now that there is more and more interest in the more technical canyons. It appears that breakaway group #1 is at capacity, but why not start up a second?

SLCmntjunkie
04-25-2008, 08:12 AM
I'd like to get on that list for a break away group for Sunday. I'd consider myself an intermediate canyoneer, I have descended about 20 technical canyons and should be able to keep up.

I can also help out with noobs wherever needed on Saturday.

tanya
04-25-2008, 08:15 AM

Yeah, I think I will try and camp at Smith's Mesa just to try and be close to people. I can't tell you guys how excited I am for this trip. Thank you so much for all the work you have done putting this together guys.

DiscGo, you made the list for Sunday now and your friend is at the top of the Sunday waiting list.

SLCmntjunkie you are on the list to go with CP on Sunday!

rockgremlin
04-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Tanya - thanks for doing such a great job organizing these groups!! You're awesome!! :2thumbs:

cp0915
04-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Granted they're not particularly challenging canyons, but given the uncertainty of when certain ones will be in condition, I thought I'd throw out these suggestions for Saturday/Sunday:

-Saturday: Telephone Cyn (with a possible link-up of Behunin Cyn)

Isn't the Telephone Canyon trail closed? The online system shows permits available. I haven't used the online system before, so I'm not very familiar with its in's and out's.

-Sunday: Hidden Cyn from the top.

I haven't done Hidden, but I've done Telephone. It's a fine canyon of about 14-15 nice rappels and some fun downclimbs. Nothing too burly. 3BIII, as I recall.

CP

Sombeech
04-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey, glasscutter wants in on the waiting list....

DiscGo
04-25-2008, 05:06 PM
awesome!!!!! I am so excited!

accadacca
04-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey, glasscutter wants in on the waiting list....
Glasscutter should ask for himself and keep his hands to himself around the ladies too. :lol8:

fire
04-25-2008, 09:11 PM
"COMMONSENSE: IF YOUR NAME IS ON THE LIST TO ATTEND AND YOU DON'T SHOW YOU WILL NOT BE WELCOME AT THE NEXT EVENT. ALSO REMOVE YOUR NAME FROM THE MAIN "24 LIST" IF YOU ARE "BREAKING-AWAY" RATHER THAN DOING THE PLANED NOOB CANYONS.

20. Bruce - fireuseman

At the risk of never being welcome at the next event, please remove me from the list of 24. Me and the homebrew will find adventures out back, where all are welcome, show or no show.

Have Fun. Bruce

Bo_Beck
04-26-2008, 03:36 PM
[quote="COMMONSENSE: IF YOUR NAME IS ON THE LIST TO ATTEND AND YOU DON'T SHOW YOU WILL NOT BE WELCOME AT THE NEXT EVENT. ALSO REMOVE YOUR NAME FROM THE MAIN "24 LIST" IF YOU ARE "BREAKING-AWAY" RATHER THAN DOING THE PLANED NOOB CANYONS. [/b][/size]

[
20. Bruce - fireuseman

At the risk of never being welcome at the next event, please remove me from the list of 24. Me and the homebrew will find adventures out back, where all are welcome, show or no show.

Have Fun. Bruce

Please understand Bruce. Tanya and Shane have put a lot of effort into this event. There are "quotas" on the permits. If someone says that they want to be on a certain hike that has a quota of 12, and it is filled on the sign up, but then you decide not to show......someone that was just itchin' to get on that hike loses out! It's all about efficiency and satisfaction for all I believe. Tanya and Shane have done a great job to insure a fun time for all, and are trying to be fair to all. Don't be scared away by the Bark!

Axpence
04-26-2008, 07:52 PM
i applied for a permit for the subway either june 6,7, or 8 and got rejected just barley :( then i Disgo told me about this! i would love to come if i can make the list.

Axpence
04-27-2008, 07:15 PM
awesome thankyou much! i'm so excited.

DiscGo
04-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Tanya-

I have believe I have shown excitement, but I have not really taken the time to say "thank you". You rock! Thank you so much for organizing this and updating this. I can't wait for the Noobfest, and I know that you are a huge part of making this happen, so thank you so much!

Iceaxe
04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
"COMMONSENSE: IF YOUR NAME IS ON THE LIST TO ATTEND AND YOU DON'T SHOW YOU WILL NOT BE WELCOME AT THE NEXT EVENT. ALSO REMOVE YOUR NAME FROM THE MAIN "24 LIST" IF YOU ARE "BREAKING-AWAY" RATHER THAN DOING THE PLANED NOOB CANYONS.

20. Bruce - fireuseman

Have Fun. Bruce

Sorry you will miss the weekend.... we just consider it good manners to notify the host if you can't attend since you were reserving limited space coveted by others.

You have been removed from the list....

ratagonia
04-28-2008, 01:03 PM
-Sunday: Hidden Cyn from the top.

I haven't done Hidden, but I've done Telephone. It's a fine canyon of about 14-15 nice rappels and some fun downclimbs. Nothing too burly. 3BIII, as I recall.

CP

If it is HOT out, Hidden from the top is not very fun. The way it faces, it gets a lot of sun, in summer. Not recommended (when hot out).

Tom

Iceaxe
04-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I am SOOOO excited to finally do the Subway! :mrgreen:

Don't get your hopes up to high.... that's the one we are still having issues getting all the permits we need..... but were still working on it....

Iceaxe
04-28-2008, 07:45 PM
OK... things are starting to come together.... all members of the "24" will be doing a Pine Creek/Keyhole combo platter on one of your days... that is probably the ultimate noob intro to Zion canyoneering.... we have the permits and that part is set....

The second canyon/day is still a little up in the air because of permits...

We have permits and canyons to break the "24 into groups of six, we just need enough talent to get everyone through safe and live....

If we can not secure the other permits we are shooting for the second canyon will probably be Red Cave or Birch, because we do not need permits for those two canyons....

FWIW: The permits have been a major pain in the ass.... the Zion permit system blows...

DiscGo
04-28-2008, 07:56 PM
I am going down on that Thursday afternoon. Don't they have walk-in permits for Subway on top of the scheduled permits? I might be able to try and get those (although I hear it is tough) if somebody points me in the right direction.

abirken
04-28-2008, 08:34 PM
SERIOUSLY MY THANKS TO YOU GUYS (ICE and Tanya and the other undercovers) FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN!!!! :hail2thechief:

At the rate my summer is going with over committing myself to everything possible, this may be one of only a FEW canyons I may get to do for the year. Unless of course something takes place this Fall, then I'd be in for that also. I am really looking forward to meeting everyone and putting names with faces and hiking with you guys. YAY!! Can't wait.

AJ
04-28-2008, 08:52 PM
SERIOUSLY MY THANKS TO YOU GUYS (ICE and Tanya and the other undercovers) FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN!!!! :hail2thechief:

Most definitely concur. It takes quite a bit of time and efforts to organize; and add even more for the permit hassles. Thank you for all of your efforts! I hope I get to join in the fun. Will let you know as soon as I know.

Unless of course something takes place this Fall, then I'd be in for that also. I am really looking forward to meeting everyone and putting names with faces and hiking with you guys. YAY!! Can't wait.

Likely that I'll run another "less aggressive" canyon trip sometime in the fall. Will keep you posted.

Hope I get to make the time to come out, and if so, I'm definitely looking forward to meeting everyone as well.

Take care,
A.J.

:2thumbs:[/quote]

Iceaxe
04-28-2008, 08:55 PM
I am going down on that Thursday afternoon. Don't they have walk-in permits for Subway on top of the scheduled permits? I might be able to try and get those (although I hear it is tough) if somebody points me in the right direction.

Thanks.... but we are trying to get everything set in stone because folks are scattered all over. It will be nice if everyone knows where they are going before they leave from home.... I think that part we now have handled to a certain degree.

If a break-away group wants to try for the Subway/Das Boot (or anything else) you have our blessing.... but you are on your own....

cp0915
04-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Okay, here's the tweaked Sat/Sun Courtney break-away group plan:

Saturday - Englestead (with a descent via Orderville/Narrows, conditions, etc. permitting)

Sunday - Hidden Canyon from the top. Tom's comment is noted and appreciated. If it's hot that weekend, perhaps we'll do Telephone instead.

CP

Iceaxe
04-29-2008, 10:52 AM
OK, here is the deal.... if you are a real noob and feel you might want/need some extra help or personal attention over the the Noob fest please Private Message (PM) me (my PM is at the bottom of this post).... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY! We are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together.

Otherwise it is assumed that you consider yourself able to do Pine Creek and Keyhole with a group... this means you know how to clip in and rappel without outside help and that you are at least able to dog paddle to shore.... Every group will have several members along who have done the routes before so navigation or route finding will not an issue.

Additionally... there is no cost for this trip.... but the permits do cost money. I would consider it good manners if everyone gave the folks who pick up the permits $5 for each route you do. So be prepared with a couple $5 bills in you pack. We'll let you know who picked up the permits.

Rope: We will probably need several folks to bring rope.... so plan on it.... We will be in larger groups and we can move faster if we have the ability to fix several rappels at once.

rockgremlin
04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
This trip planning is going really well! Again, big kudos to Shane and Tanya for doing the legwork and making the arrangements. I'm getting really excited! So excited in fact, that I ran out and purchased a leopard print thong just for Alex, and then he tells me he's gonna bail on my Saturday trip! :frustrated: What's up with that?!

Additionally, I had suggested to Sombeech about the possibility of doing a "Third annual n00b-fest" T-shirt. Anyone interested in this?

Also possibly doing a drawing for gear. Let me know if there's any interest in these ideas. Let's get something arranged.

Alex
04-29-2008, 01:19 PM
You can always demo it in my hotel room :naughty:

I'd buy the bogley gear...

Jaxx
04-29-2008, 02:42 PM
CRAP! I am having a dilema. My brother-in-law, cacccc on here, can go down that weekend now. Him and his wife want to join. My dilema is do I stay with the noobfest or just breakoff with them. I def. want to try for Pinecreek and subway permits but that usually doesn't happen. If they did come we would still camp at Smith Mesa and meet everyone.

I am torn!!!!

Jaxx
04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
That would help. Can you put him and his wife on the waiting list. Mabey we could figure something out for them on Saturday and then have them join on Sunday! I didn't want to bail on helping though. I'm not a super expert but I know enough to set up the raps.

Iceaxe
04-29-2008, 04:51 PM
OK, Canyons are set.... it looks like the 24 will be doing a

Option #1: Pinecreek/Keyhole combo and Subway
Option #2: Pinecreek/Keyhole combo and Echo

Most of you will be doing the Pinecreek/Keyhole combo and Subway. Six will be doing the Pinecreek/Keyhole combo and Echo.

We worked really hard to get everyone on a Pinecreek/Keyhole combo and Subway but we just could not swing all the permits we needed and still meet the park rules unless we were willing to gamble and stand in line, which we are not.

Days, times, groups and meeting spots to be determined at a later date. I took a lot of help from a lot of people to get this dialed in. thanks to everyone who helped with permits...

Iceaxe
04-29-2008, 05:19 PM
CRAP! I am having a dilema. My brother-in-law, cacccc on here, can go down that weekend now. Him and his wife want to join. My dilema is do I stay with the noobfest or just breakoff with them. I def. want to try for Pinecreek and subway permits but that usually doesn't happen. If they did come we would still camp at Smith Mesa and meet everyone.

I am torn!!!!

Jaxx... let us know what you intend to do ASAP as we are attempting to put together groups.... and mixing skills is of up most importance... that and I'm going to be really ticked off if folks start messin' with the groups once we get them together....

Anther thought.... you might have your best success working as a break away group.... I do not see two addintional spots openning up.... I think most on the list are pretty firm...

DiscGo
04-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Shane-

Earlier I thanked Tanya, and I left you out of that. Sorry. I really appreciate all of your leg work on this. With the exception of college football, I have really grown to respect you over the year and a half I have been on this site, and just want to say thanks again.

Alex
04-29-2008, 08:21 PM
:lol8: Shane is used to it, let all the beauty take the credit and he just smiles in the background. What a gentleman! :cool2:

Iceaxe
04-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Earlier I thanked Tanya, and I left you out of that. Sorry. I really appreciate all of your leg work on this. With the exception of college football, I have really grown to respect you over the year and a half I have been on this site, and just want to say thanks again.

That's cool.... tanya was doing all the work, and is still doing most of it... Think of me as her technical adviser... :lol8:

Without Tanya this event would not have happened.

:hail2thechief:

Iceaxe
04-29-2008, 08:53 PM
It's DiscGo trainwreak.... I think he was into the vino tonight. :lol8:

DiscGo
04-29-2008, 09:00 PM
let all the beauty take the credit...

You have to admit that it is hard to notice other people with Tanya is out front.

Sorry about my "trainwreck" :D. I am just feeling very grateful.

trackrunner
04-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks, Ice & Tanya. Let me know in what way I can help out. I know leadership needs to be divided out, but I would prefer the Echo trip (still the 7th) because I've never done that canyon. But from my TR I don't mind the Subway again either. Where ever needed.

Sombeech
04-30-2008, 10:04 AM
This thread's gonna be 40 pages by the end of May. :lol8:

trackrunner
04-30-2008, 10:11 AM
This thread's gonna be 40 pages by the end of May. :lol8:
If you add in the other noobfest pages it already is over 40 pages.

Axpence
04-30-2008, 12:10 PM
just to clarify i will be camping at Smith's Mesa with DiscGo. thanks to all who've organized this you've done an amazing job!

Jaxx
05-02-2008, 10:45 AM
OK looks like the wifey and I will be doing a break off group with Cacc and his wife.
I heard it might be possible to get a Das Boot permit for Saturday so we are planning on that. If the permit doesn't come through we will do Fat Mans Misery.
I think there was a permit for Pinecreek on Sunday and that is what we have planned for Sunday.
There will be four of us. We are willing to take semi-noobs with us and show them how stuff works.
We are all staying at the Smith Mesa camp area. It sucks that I won't be able to do any canyons everyone but I will get Caccc on the list sooner next year :haha:

Randi
05-02-2008, 01:38 PM
just to clarify i will be camping at Smith's Mesa with DiscGo.

DiscGo? DisGco is like sooooo 70/80s though...
Indie and alternative is what''s "IN" right now.... :rockon: :mrgreen:

Question? How we all gonna hook up for social hour being spread out all over the park? Ya'll DO wanna :friday: don't ya?!?

So Felicia and I have been discussing where/how to get everyone together on Sat. night since that's gonna be a reasonalby early finishing canyon day for most of us.

We could do the restaurant thing, but what a hassle.
It seems like it would be easier and more conducive to hanging out getting to know one another if we could do it at a campground shindig.
maybe a potluck (like what TJ used to do)...folks can bring wood for a nice fire at night....I can bring my glow in the dark body paints! :naughty: , etc, etc...

So, some ideas we been kickin around have been:
The local park (BUT NO ALCHOHOL MAKES THIS IDEA SUCK)
Smiths

Iceaxe
05-02-2008, 02:06 PM
After drunken revelry and a TJ gear happening

Update: For those not in the party planning loop... If we have a group deal, Tom Jones and his CanyoneeringUSA (http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/) has volunteered to provide some gear for a raffle. I'm sure we could get a few more gear donations for a raffle.

Maybe Climb-Utah.com (http://www.climb-utah.com) and Bogley could donate a few items, but we all know those guys are a bunch of cheap suckers. :lol8:

If we do not do the group party deal I doubt we will hold a raffle.....

Carry on party planners....

ratagonia
05-02-2008, 04:31 PM
So Felicia and I have been discussing where/how to get everyone together on Sat. night since that's gonna be a reasonalby early finishing canyon day for most of us.

ANY IDEAS?

Suggestions?

HELP?!?

There is a new Mosquito Cove type place a mile or so up the Kolob Terrace Road, on the flood plain from last year's flood, and below the set of houses that got hammered. I've seen tents out there lately. Would be quieter than Mo Cove, more private. Visible from the road. Closer to town than Smith Mesa. Might be ungoshly hot.

Tom

Iceaxe
05-03-2008, 09:53 AM
UPDATE:
Staying with your Buddy.....

We are attempting to group those who car pool, camp or room together into the same groups.... check out the master list in the very first post. Those with brackets after your name is who you will be grouped together because of personal logistics. If your partner is not bracketed with you, don't expect to be kept together.

I'm sure we have missed some, it is up to you to let us know who you car pool with.

This is already a big project... please do not ask to be grouped with someone if it's not a matter of staying together for personal logistics. We are going to do the best we can to mix up the groups from Saturday to Sunday.... so you will be with some new people both days and get a chance to meet others....

There are two spots open for Echo on Sunday (yes trackrunner, your name is in the hat). If you would prefer this canyon over Subway speak up now. This will be my (Ice) group, so if you want to do a canyon with a major smart ass this is your chance.... real noob's will probably be given preference to this group so the Subway groups can keep most the talent. The Echo group came about because that is the only way we could get enough "for sure" permits.

No names from the waiting list will be added to the 24 until we get this straighened out.

Anyone with a MAYBE next to your name.... it's time to poop or get off the pot.

Axpence
05-03-2008, 12:34 PM
hey guys, i've noticed there is now an extra spot in the sunday group of 24, i'd like to be added to the group if possible!

and as far as i go with groups i will be carpooling/camping with disgo and warren and would like to do the canyons with them as well if possible.
by the way you guys rock for setting all this up.

Iceaxe
05-03-2008, 01:07 PM
No names from the waiting list will be added to the 24 until we get carpool info straighened out.

And for the record.... If someone provides a service we require their name goes to the top of the waiting list.

One other thought.... there will be 6 walk-in permits available Saturday morning for a Sunday Echo.... if someone on the waiting list wants to pick those up you are welcome to join the Echo trip. But you are on your own in obtaining the permits.... we (mostly meaning Tanya) are done organizing and tracking down permits.

rockgremlin
05-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm riding down with Kyrell. Hopefully we won't hit any cows this time....but I can't guarantee anything.

J-ROB
05-04-2008, 06:48 PM
hi all, i'm a friend of Axpence/Disgo, i would love to come to the noobfest! if possible.
thanks. good job setting this up by the way everyone!

DiscGo
05-04-2008, 08:41 PM
DiscGo? DisGco is like sooooo 70/80s though...
Indie and alternative is what''s "IN" right now.... :rockon: :mrgreen:

If you don't know he was referring to me "DiscGo" and not the music "disco" which nobody would want.

I would be down for a pot luck or whatever.

DiscGo
05-04-2008, 09:02 PM
For the record, I of course love my friends, but if a spot opens up in a group to do subway, I have no problem breaking off from any and all of them to go. I realize there are not many spots, so I am cool with not going if it isn't a possibility but I just thought I would be clear that I would be interested if it is available.

As far as camping goes, if there is a concern about too many people at any one given campsite or whatever, I can camp in the park or wherever. I don't really care that much. I am just excited to be going.

Jaxx
05-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Ok. Looks like Tanya and Felicia have been kind enough to let me have the permits they reserved. Thanks ladies!!! I have 4 in my group (me, wife(canyongirl), Caccc, and Caccc's wife). The plan is to do Das Boot on Saturday and then PineCreek on Sunday. So that leaves 2 spots on the Das Boot and 8 on the Pinecreek permit I think. Anyone is welcome to join us on either day.

Iceaxe
05-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Das Boot - Saturday Break-away group
1. Jaxx
2. canyongirl
3. Caccc
4. Caccc's wife
Contact Jax for more info.

Pinecreek - Sunday Break-away group
1. Jaxx
2. canyongirl
3. Caccc
4. Caccc's wife
Contact Jax for more info.

Axpence
05-05-2008, 09:37 AM
for the record, as of now J-ROB and I have 2 extra seats in our car, if anyone needs a ride from provo, and would like to chip in for gas money we'd be fine with letting you come with us.

(i was going to be riding with discgo/warren, but we're taking seperate cars now that j-rob is coming)

DiscGo
05-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I am going down on Thursday Night and hiking on Friday. If anybody wants a ride, they are more than welcome.

Felicia
05-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I am going down on Thursday Night and hiking on Friday. If anybody wants a ride, they are more than welcome.

Are you going to camp at Watchman and try to get the group campsite on Friday/Saturday so we can have the potluck on Saturday night?

ratagonia
05-05-2008, 01:54 PM

Are you going to camp at Watchman and try to get the group campsite on Friday/Saturday so we can have the potluck on Saturday night?

Group Sites are reserved via those Internets.

http://tinyurl.com/5bp3jh

You need 9 people (sort of) to reserve the site. For tomfests, I always reserve with 9, then pay more money at checkin for the actual number who have signed up. 3$ a head.

T

Iceaxe
05-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Tom, if I'm reading this right all the group sites appear to be reserved already.

:ne_nau:

I think someone checked into this already and the only group site still available was a first come, first served site.... Hope I'm wrong cause reserving a group site would make things easier.

moab mark
05-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I am pretty sure all of the group sites are taken. We are going there for that week with our scouts and leaving saturday. We reserved back in december and had a hard time getting a group spot. Had to take a different one from the one we usually use.
Mark

DiscGo
05-05-2008, 04:28 PM

I obviously was not planning on it, but I would not be opposed. My plan is to hike most of Friday but I would be all to happy to help out. I just need to be told what people want me to do.

Felicia
05-05-2008, 04:40 PM

Group Sites are reserved via those Internets.

http://tinyurl.com/5bp3jh

You need 9 people (sort of) to reserve the site. For tomfests, I always reserve with 9, then pay more money at checkin for the actual number who have signed up. 3$ a head.

T

This is the information that we were using as of Friday:

Looking on the internet and the are no group sites avaliable at Watchman from what can be seen. But turns out there is one walk in site over at watchman. It's for 15 to 25 people (camping) with no more than 25 and it's only $3 pp.

Only problem is we'd need someone to "walk -up" and get it. No reservations allowed.

DiscGo
05-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Only problem is we'd need someone to "walk -up" and get it. No reservations allowed.

Hey PM, the information and number of people we need. I would think that we could probably get it unless somebody is there for the whole week or something.

I hate the idea of 20 people not having space for camping because of me not getting this, but I will be happy to try.

Iceaxe
05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
If campers could just get two or three sites together is would work out, even if the group site was not available. Having a general place to meet and hangout is a real bonus.

Jaxx
05-06-2008, 09:12 AM
It is kindof difficult to get the sites together. I went with a large group last year and we had 3 or 4 sites for the group. They were all spread out in the campground, but we had one of the sites that was the "base". We would meet at the base camp and organize who was going with who and where the night before and then check in with our group in the morning at that site. We also hung out until bedtime at base. This worked pretty well as long as everyone knows what other sites our group will be at incase we need to talk to a certain person. We could have cheapo 'BOGLEY" signs so we would be easy to spot. The upside to this is that you get to say "base camp" and sound like a cool mountaineer! :haha:

Cacc and I and our wives are now staying at the hotel so we are outta the equation for camping!

ratagonia
05-06-2008, 09:53 AM
If campers could just get two or three sites together is would work out, even if the group site was not available. Having a general place to meet and hangout is a real bonus.

It's the walk-in Group Site in SOUTH Campground, right? Behind the fence, down by the river?

Tom

Randi
05-06-2008, 12:32 PM

It's the walk-in Group Site in SOUTH Campground, right? Behind the fence, down by the river?

Tom

I dunno which one is the walk-up one. Hank found it.
But it doesn't look like we have enough campers anyway, even if we were able to get it.

maybe we should all just show up at your house on Sat. night Tom????? :mrgreen:

You provide the jolly good cheer and I'll provide the Samichlaus! hehehe...

chabidiah
05-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I bought a couple of climbing ropes at home depot so if I need to bring them then let me know... :2thumbs:

chabidiah
05-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Just messin, I thought since it was a noobfest that I should noob-it-up.. looking forward to a good weekend! :nod:

Iceaxe
05-08-2008, 07:43 AM
I bought a couple of climbing ropes at home depot so if I need to bring them then let me know... :2thumbs:

:lol8: Good one.... But don't forget to pick up some webbing back in the home and garden section.

:roflol:

Pubalz
05-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi all ;Is there still openings for that noob-fest? If so Id like to fill a couple of slots. :nod:

Cirrus2000
05-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Dang, I'm jealous.

cp0915
05-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Tanya, can you please put Eiji down for my Saturday and Sunday breakaway groups. Eiji's not on the board, but he's an alpine partner of mine who's coming down to Zion that weekend for his first canyons ever!

Iceaxe
05-12-2008, 08:18 AM
hey.... keeping large groups of friends together really hurts splitting groups and mixing things up.... I also think it will kill a lot of the social interaction... so, these two groups....

Acca, Shagster, Glasscutter, Beech, Hanker
and
DiscGo, Warren, Axpence, J-Rob

Tell me how important it is I keep you all together? You guys all in one car? If not, I'll probably do some splitting.

And for future reference.... if we ever do this again I think I will only agree to keep pairs together....

Jaxx
05-12-2008, 09:02 AM
OK I just got some more peeps for our group. Tyson, a new member on here and his girlfriend want to join our group. So that means the Das Boot permit is full but the Pinecreek still has 6 spots left. He wasn't sure if they were camping or hotelin' it.

Axpence
05-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Mark Me and J-ROB officially a maybe for Sunday. What time will we be done with the Saturday canyon would you guys estimate? I might have to head out right after the canyon.

Don
05-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Had to come up with some interesting lies for work that weekend but...

PM's just sent to Jaxx and CP.

I would like to join CP on Saturday and Jaxx on Sunday.

Might be able to come down Thursday night...anyone doing a canyon Friday?

Edit: Heard back from both CP and Jaxx; I'm in! Looking forward to this trip!

Iceaxe
05-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Mark Me and J-ROB officially a maybe for Sunday. What time will we be done with the Saturday canyon would you guys estimate? I might have to head out right after the canyon.

For Saturday canyons I expect to start about 9am and be finished before 5pm. it's a casual day with casual canyons, i see no need to get an early start Saturday....

Sunday it looks like most groups will be starting at 7am.... and I'll guess finishing around 3pmish. Except those doing Echo.... we like to sleep in, do breakfast, who cares about time.... :fishing:

And I need a YES or No from every one for certain in the next few days.... Actually if you are on the list of 24 I consider you a solid YES, get your name off the list if you are flaking.... I just spent all morning splitting the groups and I don't want to have to do it again. If you guys screw up my planning I'm going to do some major ass kicking. :kicknuts:

DiscGo
05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Tell me how important it is I keep you all together? You guys all in one car? If not, I'll probably do some splitting.

Warren and I are driving down together on one day my car and J-Rob and Axpense are driving down together a whole seperate day in a different car. So as much as I like J-Rob and Axpense we can totally seperate.

I just IMed you Ice, but I was even thinking that I may lack the experience to do this without requiring a babysitter, or bringing somebody down and I certainly don't want to ruin the weekend for anybody. So if needs be, I don't mind just hanging out in Zion and hooking up at the bar or whatever with everyone.

Iceaxe
05-12-2008, 03:28 PM
On Saturday I would feel best if everyone knew how to rappel..... This means they can put on a harness, clip into the rope, and rappel safely. Someone with experience will locate the anchors and set the ropes.... I hope to have at least one experienced person at the top to make sure everyone clips in correctly, and I hope to have at least one experienced person at the bottom to provide a bottom belay.

Sunday is not really a big deal with regards to rappeling for any of the routes, we can baby sit all the short drops on Sunday without much hassle.

The problem is we can't have many complete noob's and provide the supervision they require. If you think you are lacking in your rappeling skills it would be in your best interest to find someone to take you out to practice before Bogley fest, If someone had done several rappels before Bogley and can put on a harness, clip into the rope, and rappel safely there should be little problem.

In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel.

Htoad
05-12-2008, 04:49 PM
C

There must be other options too if the group campsite does not work out but I can't think of any.

I like to camp on the golf course at Mt Carmel Junction. If you get up with the sun it's a free night on the green.

Pubalz
05-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Tanya: That would cool if you put me on the list for 1 of the spots for pinecreek. If thats cool. :cool2:

alusul
05-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Just confirming I'm all set to go SAT and SUN

Ice: If Das Boot is still on the table for the sunday split of the main list I've been hoping to see that one for a while, happy to stop and watchout for bad clip-ins and otherwise help out as needed.

I'm very thankful for all here who have planned out what looks to be a great trip and helped me maintain my obliviousness to the dreaded zion permit system :2thumbs:

AJ
05-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Hey all,

I have been able to confirm that I am now a definite for the trip. Not trying to, but this will likely throw a wrench into the works; I'm going to be heading out there from 6/6 (arriving VERY late at night on Firday 6/6) and canyoneering through Sunday 6/15.

The wrench part is that I'll have up to 6 folks from Colorado coming with me. (Don't know exactly how many yet, as I just sent out the invite to join me to my canyoneering pals.) Everyone in my group will be pretty experienced; as my canyon hit list includes Heaps, Imlay, Kolob, etc. I'm still willing to help out with whatever I can; including creating yet another breakaway group if that would be easiest. Or maybe I wait a week or so until my group numbers become more solid?

If nothing else, I'm also fine with running our own canyons; and then just meeting up with everyone later. If it would be easier to discuss over the phone, feel free to PM me with your number (or ask for mine) and I'll PM it to you.

Sorry if this caused a hassle, but I didn't know if I was going to be able to break away for the week (Zion is a bit too far for just a weekend for me...)

If anyone is interested in joining my group for the week after the NoobFest, feel free to contact me. I'll be asking your canyon experience, as we have some big days planned, but I'm willing to fill my team of 6 with folks outside of CO as well.

Take care,
A.J.

TySoN
05-13-2008, 10:12 AM
My girlfriend and I will be joining Jaxx's breakaway group for both saturday and sunday.

ratagonia
05-13-2008, 04:04 PM
My girlfriend and I will be joining Jaxx's breakaway group for both saturday and sunday.

Is this a Utah thang? All these guys seem to have girlfriends that lack names?

Tom

shagster
05-13-2008, 06:11 PM
hey.... keeping large groups of friends together really hurts splitting groups and mixing things up.... I also think it will kill a lot of the social interaction... so, these two groups....

Acca, Shagster, Glasscutter, Beech, Hanker
and
DiscGo, Warren, Axpence, J-Rob

And for future reference.... if we ever do this again I think I will only agree to keep pairs together....

Yes Ice we will all be in one car if you can make it work. I can also help out where ever you need since I have done pinecreek/keyhole/echo. Let me know.

Iceaxe
05-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Yes Ice we will all be in one car if you can make it work. I can also help out where ever you need since I have done pinecreek/keyhole/echo. Let me know.

Too late... beech already tossed you under the bus. :lol8:

I think I have it worked out....

Iceaxe
05-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Everyone wants to re-arrange or to do something special.... It's not going to happen, so don't ask!!!

Unless you are removing your name from the group of 24 we are not interested.... the only request we will currently entertain is those wanting to do Echo on Sunday. This is about doing canyons with friends and not about ticking specific targets off your list.... if the fest agenda does not match your needs please remove your name from the 24, and no hard feelings....

FYI: Saturday we plan to split the 24 into two groups of 12. Sunday the 24 will be split into two groups of 6 and one of 12. That's not exactly by choice, it was how the permits worked out.

The plan is currently for the entire 24 to meet in the Visitor Center parking lot on Saturday morning, this will allow us to sort out the small details. Bring your ropes, I'm hoping to fix the first few raps so we can move fast. I figure we will sort ropes in the parking lot.

Move info when things get closer.

Don
05-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Everyone wants to re-arrange or to do something special.... It's not going to happen, so don't ask!!!

But, I'm special.

http://www.grafican.com/images/ralph.JPG

(hotlinked that; hope the image lasts)

Iceaxe
05-14-2008, 11:26 AM
But, I'm special.

I'm beginning to think you all ride the short bus.

eclipsee_steering

Pubalz
05-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Just the first 4 years of high school. :haha:

Don
05-15-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm bringing a friend. His name is Josh and he said he would join Bogley soon.
He is hoping to join me in Jaxx's group for Pine Creek on Sunday (PM sent to Jaxx). For Saturday he hopes to join AJ or some other group for a canyon, if nothing is available he's good just hiking around Zion for the day.
He is my main hiking partner, has his own gear and previous canyon experience (was with me in April for Knotted Rope and Quandary; see earlier trip report thread).
Also, we are planning to camp, not sure where yet, likely Smiths Mesa (might need directions).

Felicia
05-16-2008, 08:01 AM
Dang your good Tanya!!! :nod: :hail2thechief:

Htoad
05-16-2008, 09:43 PM

Is this a Utah thang? All these guys seem to have girlfriends that lack names?

Tom

It's the Miss's. Ya can't go wrong that way!

LJ
05-22-2008, 08:12 AM
OK - I have to bow out on Sunday for the Subway. So hopefully someone else can take my place and enjoy the canyon. I will be there for sure on Saturday so please keep me on that list!

Thanks -

Lin

Bo_Beck
05-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I know that Echo Canyon will play a part in the upcoming Noobfest, and I read this excerpt from Ram on Canyons Group. Whoever is planning on descending Echo you may want to read this and consider what you may encounter?

Bo

"Rams Report"

The worst I have ever seen. Rather than the 2, 75 yard sections of
snow and ice, most of the distance from the final rap to near the
right turn out of the slot has deep snow. Understand, I seek these
conditions out and have done so religiously for the few times each
decade it occurs in Echo, but this is a very different animal.

Equipped with ax and entering from the bottom, Mr. Brejcha and I
encountered suspended blocks of snow weighing a ton or more. We
encountered tunnels, squeezed off to nothing. Moots, melted out under
snowfields with drops of up to 50 feet. Snow bridges melted out to a
foot thick, 60 feet above the canyon floor. Ribbons of snow climbing
at 45 degree angles. When you get up on the snowfields on top, you are
BLIND to the moots and thin bridges below you!! Because of the volume
of snow that accumulated this winter, the dangers of the melt out,
never trivial, is way more dangerous than I have ever seen in there.
BY FAR!!

It is my understanding that 2 groups had to be rescued out of there
last week. You enter at the top, do the short raps, pull your ropes
and BANG!! Your in it deep!! If you must poke around (and it is
amazing), enter from the bottom ONLY, wander around and look. If you
must probe, an ax is a must. Careful!

We chopped a lot of snow, from between walls and fields, then squeezed
thru, to avoid the dangerous tops of snow. It was the 2nd of those
recent hot days. Tuesday last, I believe. Made it into the mid 90's.
The air temp in there was 40. The water was colder. The rock was wet,
slimy, grimy and a friction free zone.

It is melting out pretty fast, but it still will be there for weeks to
come. It may be safer after awhile. In the meantime, I recommend
nothing more than a trip up from the BOTTOM only for a peek. Pictures
to come soon.
Ram

nelsonccc
05-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Thinking of doing a break off group on Sunday for something other than Pine, Keyhole, or echo. I still want to keep it simple so that newbies can come. I was thinking Rock, Red Cave, or maybe something else. Any interest? Any requests?

abirken
05-23-2008, 06:33 AM
Thinking of doing a break off group on Sunday for something other than Pine, Keyhole, or echo. I still want to keep it simple so that newbies can come. I was thinking Rock, Red Cave, or maybe something else. Any interest? Any requests?

I would really love to do another canyon on Sunday. I was going to do the main 24 route with Tanya and Shane and others. But my issue is time. I have a 7 hour drive home. If I was able to do a canyon (easy one) on Sunday and able to be on the road back home around noon or 1, I'd be ok with one. I'm not asking you to arrange around my schedule by any means. But if you came up with something if we started early in the AM......I'd be interested. :2thumbs:

Alex
05-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Pine or Keyhole are your shortest routes. I don't think anyone wants to hang out in Zion on Sunday. A lot of us are from SLC, which is a good 5-6 hours drive depending on the traffic. I personally going to take off around 1pm as well.

My wife is coming back from a 3 week vacation on Sunday at 4pm and I am going to miss picking her up, so I will be in trouble as it is....oops! :eek2:

abirken
05-23-2008, 07:04 AM
Pine or Keyhole are your shortest routes. I don't think anyone wants to hang out in Zion on Sunday. A lot of us are from SLC, which is a good 5-6 hours drive depending on the traffic. I personally going to take off around 1pm as well.

My wife is coming back from a 3 week vacation on Sunday at 4pm and I am going to miss picking her up, so I will be in trouble as it is....oops! :eek2:

Yuppers and I think that's what we are doing on Saturday. Pine and Keyhole.....So I may just pass up then and have a good breakfast, hang out with you guys and then head back around noon. Or if there is a really nice local hike which I am sure of, maybe I'll arrange to do something like that early morning. :2thumbs:

Yea if you were my husband, you'd be in trouble too. HAHA!! Get your arse HOME. :haha:

Alex
05-23-2008, 07:30 AM
hehe then I am lucky I am not! :haha:

Na she was cool about it. My mom is picking her up, I will have to make up for it that night :naughty:

abirken
05-23-2008, 08:16 AM

Na she was cool about it. My mom is picking her up, I will have to make up for it that night :naughty:

After three weeks!! you better be making it up........hehe!! :naughty: :lol8: So maybe those of us that aren't doing a bigger canyon on Sunday can go take a shorter local hike? Just a thought.

Or maybe I'm way off? But I thought doing the Sunday canyons would consume a large part of the day? That's why I took my name off.
OH well, such is life.

trackrunner
05-23-2008, 10:55 AM
So I guess echo might not be doable for the trip? :ne_nau:

abirken
sounds like Yankee would be a good canyon for sunday, just off of I-15 in silver reef.

savanna3313
05-23-2008, 12:28 PM

Just remember......it's "in" not "on" :lol8:

abirken
05-23-2008, 01:12 PM

:five: :roflol:

Savanna......you crack me up. :lol8:

Alex
05-23-2008, 07:50 PM

Hmm, now you are giving me some ideas :naughty:

trackrunner
05-24-2008, 04:57 PM
I know that Echo Canyon will play a part in the upcoming Noobfest, and I read this excerpt from Ram on Canyons Group. Whoever is planning on descending Echo you may want to read this and consider what you may encounter?

Bo

"Rams Report"

The worst I have ever seen. Rather than the 2, 75 yard sections of
snow and ice, most of the distance from the final rap to near the
right turn out of the slot has deep snow. Understand, I seek these
conditions out and have done so religiously for the few times each
decade it occurs in Echo, but this is a very different animal.

Equipped with ax and entering from the bottom, Mr. Brejcha and I
encountered suspended blocks of snow weighing a ton or more. We
encountered tunnels, squeezed off to nothing. Moots, melted out under
snowfields with drops of up to 50 feet. Snow bridges melted out to a
foot thick, 60 feet above the canyon floor. Ribbons of snow climbing
at 45 degree angles. When you get up on the snowfields on top, you are
BLIND to the moots and thin bridges below you!! Because of the volume
of snow that accumulated this winter, the dangers of the melt out,
never trivial, is way more dangerous than I have ever seen in there.
BY FAR!!

It is my understanding that 2 groups had to be rescued out of there
last week. You enter at the top, do the short raps, pull your ropes
and BANG!! Your in it deep!! If you must poke around (and it is
amazing), enter from the bottom ONLY, wander around and look. If you
must probe, an ax is a must. Careful!

We chopped a lot of snow, from between walls and fields, then squeezed
thru, to avoid the dangerous tops of snow. It was the 2nd of those
recent hot days. Tuesday last, I believe. Made it into the mid 90's.
The air temp in there was 40. The water was colder. The rock was wet,
slimy, grimy and a friction free zone.

It is melting out pretty fast, but it still will be there for weeks to
come. It may be safer after awhile. In the meantime, I recommend
nothing more than a trip up from the BOTTOM only for a peek. Pictures
to come soon.
Ram

Ram posted a link of pic in the Yahoo group. Since we might be doing Echo in a couple weeks might be a good idea to look at.

http://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/EchoCanyon

Axpence
05-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Hey sorry guys, I thought I was clear, J-ROB and I are out for Sunday, I'm sorry I didn't know we were on the list for Sunday until now, sorry.

rockgremlin
05-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Ummmmmmmm...I'd like to address the elephant sitting in our living room called "snow-choked Echo Canyon."

We ought to have a good backup canyon in the plans for if this one is still in bad shape.

abirken
05-25-2008, 10:42 AM
abirken
sounds like Yankee would be a good canyon for sunday, just off of I-15 in silver reef.

Thanks for the recommendation. :2thumbs:

Felicia
05-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Ummmmmmmm...I'd like to address the elephant sitting in our living room called "snow-choked Echo Canyon."

We ought to have a good backup canyon in the plans for if this one is still in bad shape.

It feels like everyone is away at the moment.........

cp0915
05-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Frankly, I haven't had much chance to put a ton of thought into the canyons I want to do that weekend (as I just got back from a wonderful 3+ days of hiking and climbing in Sedona and the surrounding area), so I think I'll let the peak-hungry side of me take charge...

-Tentatively, I'm planning on Cable Mtn w/Hidden Canyon descent on June 7, and Mystery (assuming it's open and ready for business - I haven't been paying attention and don't know) with a peak ascent beforehand on June 8. If folks don't wanna do the peak on Sunday, that's fine - we can arrange a meet time on the trail near the head of the Death Gully.

CP

nelsonccc
05-27-2008, 08:24 PM

Maybe Rock? Red Cave? I'll haul a bunch down either.

trackrunner
05-27-2008, 10:29 PM

If Echo is a no go, I'd love to do Rock. Red Cave looks cool too. But will the sand be too deep for Rock.

Iceaxe
05-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Nelson, Rock, Track, Anyone....

I think we might try and sratch Echo.... so if someone has anther plan for Sunday let us know so we can adjust a few things... mostly we need a place to move a few people as we only have 18 permits without Echo...

Alex
05-28-2008, 05:12 AM
Since we Adam and I were bumped from the original list for Sunday, keep us off of it, Shane. I better play safe and get home before my wife flies in, to get some brownie points :crackit:

rockgremlin
05-28-2008, 07:37 AM

I'm down for Red Cave. I've never done it, and I've done Subway a bazillion times...

If that's cool with you Nelson, then let's plan on dragging a bunch of folks down that one. :2thumbs:

Jaxx
05-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Tyson and Tyson's Girlfriend are doing PineCreek with us on Sunday, they aren't on the list on the first page. So we have room for 3 more people to do Pinecreek on Sunday.

tanya
05-28-2008, 12:56 PM
[color=white]We have a couple of backup permits for the Sunday during the fest if anyone wants to use them for a break-away group. Let us know. If not we need to turn those back to the park so others can use them.

Alex - Englestead

nelsonccc
05-28-2008, 05:34 PM

I'm down for Red Cave. I've never done it, and I've done Subway a bazillion times...

If that's cool with you Nelson, then let's plan on dragging a bunch of folks down that one. :2thumbs:

Red Cave it is. Its only a 4 hour canyon so those that want to get out of Zion early should be able to make it. Sounds like fun.

nelsonccc
05-28-2008, 05:38 PM

If Echo is a no go, I'd love to do Rock. Red Cave looks cool too. But will the sand be too deep for Rock.

This time of year the sand isnt too bad...yet. We were in there early May last year and I'm not going to lie there were a few times where the old ford was airborne to keep speed. fun for the others riding but a white knuckle drive for me.

tanya
05-28-2008, 06:31 PM

This time of year the sand isnt too bad...yet. We were in there early May last year and I'm not going to lie there were a few times where the old ford was airborne to keep speed. fun for the others riding but a white knuckle drive for me.

If doing Red Cave guys (which is one of my all time favorites!) make sure you follow the current directions that I think we all have now. Call Del Tail a few days before so you make sure and catch him. The instruction say to park at the Rock Church, but he will let you drive in. The other way through Mt. Carmel Jct. has private property issues with Sorensen.

Bo's Trail Report
http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-red-cave.htm

Iceaxe
05-29-2008, 11:17 AM
OK, we need everyone to check the sign-up (very first post in this thread).

If your name is not on the 24 for Saturday or the 18 for Sunday you are considered a breakaway group and should ask questions to whomever is in charge of the breakaway.....

Thanks a bunch to Nelson, Rock and friends for organizing Red Cave for Sunday.... if anyone is on the Sunday 18 and would prefer to do Red Cave you need to contact Nelson and remove your name from the 18. Those looking for an early exit from Zion this is probably your best bet.

I plan to split the Saturday 24 into two groups of 12, and the Sunday 18 into a group of 6 and a group of 12 (that's how the permits shake out). So get your last minute adjustments done so we can do the splits.

After splitting the groups I will post meeting places and times....

trackrunner
05-29-2008, 12:48 PM
When did Shane and Tanya bail from the Sunday group? :ne_nau: Waz up wit dat?

If I understand because Echo can't be done it is now gone, Shane was on that. Was it replaced with anything else, like the extra Subway & Das Boot? :ne_nau:

Alex
05-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Shane/Tanya, please take me and Adam off Sunday group. We are *marked before, but now back on the list. I want to split early. So if there will be spots at Red Cave, we will join them, if not, we will hike our own and take off early.

Nelson/Rock, I will chat with you guys on Saturday.

Don
05-29-2008, 03:14 PM
I will never do anther one of these things in Zion....

I was just reading some Zion history and noticed that the 100th anniversary of Zion becoming a National Monument (then called Mukuntuweap NM) is next year; July 31 1909 - July 31 2009.
Since the 100th anniversary of it becoming a National Park isn't until 2019 it seems like next July 31 would be a perfect time for a ZionFest...

That's even on a Friday! Perfect.

Scout Master
05-31-2008, 06:01 PM
I will be in Zion from June 3rd through June 7th. I will be in a group site in the Watchman Campground with a troop of boy scouts. Please feel free to stop by for a howdy and a cold Mt Dew. I'll be the one who looks like Santa Claus.
See you there.

trackrunner
06-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I've noticed my name is still up for Subway on Sunday. I've requested to take my name off. I'll need to leave early and am thinking about Red Cave after Echo was taken off. I understand both Shane and Tanya have done a ton for this, and with the rush the last thing on their minds was to take my name off the list. I hope someone else can take my spot.

I'm still game for Saturday.

Shaun

tanya
06-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Post #1 is updated.

Saturday Morning - Everyone is to meet in the parking lot at the Visitor Center. It will be hard to miss 'Beech and Scott!

I think the meeting time for Saturday is 9am, but I need to check with the boss before I put that up there.

Anyone else want to do Red Cave on Sunday instead of Subway? Red Cave is good for those that want to head home early. It is in Mt. Carmel however instead of Zion -- but Subway is clear up in the Kolob Terrance.

abirken
06-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Post #1 is updated.

Saturday Morning - Everyone is to meet in the parking lot at the Visitor Center. It will be hard to miss 'Beech and Scott!

I think the meeting time for Saturday is 8am, but I need to check with the boss before I put that up there.

Anyone else want to do Red Cave on Sunday instead of Subway? Red Cave is good for those that want to head home early. It is in Mt. Carmel however instead of Zion -- but Subway is clear up in the Kolob Terrance.

I may be up for Red Cave since I may be heading out that way? How long is the hike?

tanya
06-01-2008, 09:45 PM
It's one of those types of canyons that can take only a couple of hours or many hours. There is a lot to explore out there. Get with Nelson and ask him what he has in mind. If you have a 4WD you could follow the group in and then leave when you want. There are 2 separate forks to explore and those can be done by driving to each or going up canyon, scramble out then across country to near the top of the next fork.

So --- it's all up to your fearless leader :twisted: Nelson.

Axpence
06-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Camping plans changed for J-ROB and I, we will be staying in the likes of a condo in St. George. :2thumbs: :rockon:

Jaxx
06-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Well, to make things more complicated my group isn't doing Das Boot anymore. We have decided to do Fat Man's Misery. That way we don't have to worry about the stupid permit stuff and making it down the night before or waking up and wasting time in the morning.
So me, Cacc, Tyson and women are switching to Misery. Sorry for the last minute switch-up

cp0915
06-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Regarding Courtney's Saturday Hidden Cyn agenda, Jeff and Sherry are out and Andy is in. We're meeting at the backcountry window at 7 a.m. on Saturday, packed and ready to get on the shuttle.

Those joining us for Mystery (and the peak) on Sunday, meet at 6 a.m. at the visitor center shuttle pick-up.

If other folks wanna join, we have one spot available for both Sat and Sun.

CP

Iceaxe
06-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Meeting place and time....

Saturday - Zion Visitor Center - 9:00 am
We will pick up all permits for the weekend at this time.

Sunday - Lower Subway Trailhead - 7:00 am

Directions to Lower Subway Trailhead - AKA: Left Fork Trailhead - From the Zion Canyon Visitor Center drive 14 miles west on Highway 9 to the town of Virgin. Turn north (right) on the signed Kolob Reservoir Road. Travel 8.1 miles to the signed Left Fork Trailhead. The trailhead is on the east (right) side of the road and contains a large dirt parking lot, pit toilet and information kiosk. It takes 30 minutes to reach the TH from Springdale.

Don't be late, we will not wait.

We'll split the groups up shortly.

AJ
06-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Hey all,

So finally think I have everything figured out on my side. It looks like I'm going to head down solo, which makes things easier for coordination. I'll likely jump on Nelson and Rock's trip on Saturday; will definitely see everyone at the Noodle on Saturday night, and am planning the Das Boot/Subway trip on Sunday.

I'm also planning on staying down in Zion for the following week (so I'll be there from 6/7 - 6/15). I have a pretty aggressive list of canyons that I'm going to try to hit; but am obviously limited by those that don't need car shuttles. For an example of some of my days, I'm thinking of trying:
An echo/mystery combo - Maybe Spearhead too if time?
A telephone, behunin combo
Imlay in a day from Potato Hollow
Heaps in a day from Phantom Valley
Boundary
Kolob
etc.

If you are going to be in Zion, and want to join me on any of the days (no offense, but we'll be chatting about your background if I don't know you), feel free to e-mail me at aj(at)meet-outdoors(dot)com. If you are just going to be in the area, and want to hang out a bit, feel free to contact me as well. Let me know ahead of time, and I'll give you my cell number; I'll have cell reception off and on through the trip. Likely won't be consistently camping in one spot; as it will depend on the canyon lineup.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!
A.J.

Scout Master
06-02-2008, 09:16 PM
We are leaving tomorrow AM for Zion We have 4 adults and 3 older boys. If anyone is coming down early for noobfest and is looking for some company come find us We will be in the group site in the watchman camp ground.
see you on the Trail
Scout Master

AJ
06-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Just a few other questions and some other information for the group.

I talked to Rock, and the Smith Mesa Campground is about 2 miles down the Smith Mesa road. I don't have a map in front of me, but from what I remember, you take the road that goes north toward West Rim (same road for Subway), and you will make a left onto Smith Mesa Road. I think the park boundary is 1.4 miles down on that road, and I think Nelson's and Rock's group will be camping within 2 miles of the turnoff. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the Noodle on Saturday; what time are people meeting up? Are we hanging out at anyone's campsite afterwards?

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!
A.J.

DiscGo
06-03-2008, 06:47 AM
abirken- Thanks for pointing this out to me. I had no idea the noob fest was going to hapen, until you let me know, so thanks a lot.

And thanks again to those who have taken the time to get this going.

abirken
06-03-2008, 07:27 AM
abirken- Thanks for pointing this out to me. I had no idea the noob fest was going to hapen, until you let me know, so thanks a lot.

And thanks again to those who have taken the time to get this going.

YWELCOME! It's going to be great to meet everyone and finally put names with faces. Yes this has been a bigger deal than I originally thought a Noobfest would be which is great. I know alot of extra work has gone into this and I really appreciate it as well. :2thumbs: