PDA

View Full Version : Charleston, SC

sparker1
04-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Another charming Southern city with tons of history. The historic homes are impressive, as well as many of their churches. Pretty good restaurants, too.

Win
04-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Those are great pictures of a beautiful city, maybe my favorite city. I haven't been in years but fell in love with the "low country" cuisine and the history.

The last time we were there was 6 months after Hugo and it was still in bad repair. Our favorite restaurant was gone, the outdoor flea market was closed, we never went back.

Our first impression that last time was as we landed. Thousands of trees had just been knocked over, acres of 100% devastation.

Win

sparker1
04-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks, Win. My previous visit was in 1986, so I was reluctant to return and see how much Hugo had changed things. I heard lots of horror stories about downed trees, but it is difficult to see any real change from what I saw back then. The growth and development is more obvious.

savanna3313
04-13-2008, 01:32 AM
You are giving me a great desire to travel back South for a visit! :nod:
Your photo of the Ravenel bridge is pure artistry! :2thumbs: The oak tree photo reminds me of the ancient oak tree in City Park in New Orleans called "Dueling Oaks" where many sunrise duels were held in the 18th and 19th centuries. :duel: :vader: :kicknuts:

sparker1
04-13-2008, 05:24 AM
Well, Savannah, if you hurry, you can finish out this trip with us.

JP
04-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Lovin' that bridge :2thumbs:

sparker1
04-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Lovin' that bridge :2thumbs:

Thanks, JP. I was fortunate to get two nights of good sunsets behind that sucker.

savanna3313
04-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Would Mrs.Sparker mind? :haha:

I think you're living a life many people would envy! I'd love to just travel around the country once I retire......no real agenda per sa.......just go and come as I pleased. :2thumbs:

abirken
04-13-2008, 09:27 PM
RE: beach photo.
Nice to see some peeps out on the beach with boards. I even think I see some peeps out in the line up? Looks like a fun longboarding day....were there many surfers out that day?

sparker1
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
RE: beach photo.
Nice to see some peeps out on the beach with boards. I even think I see some peeps out in the line up? Looks like a fun longboarding day....were there many surfers out that day?

All the people we saw were surfing...all 6 or 8 of them.

sparker1
04-14-2008, 07:00 PM

Would Mrs.Sparker mind? :haha:

I think you're living a life many people would envy! I'd love to just travel around the country once I retire......no real agenda per sa.......just go and come as I pleased. :2thumbs:

Hell, I think she might appreciate the help.

Traveling around the country (or world) is certainly the right thing for me, and I feel extremely fortunate. However, we are moving into a condo soon, which will mean less travel for sure. But, she wants a little more space and I never could say "no" to that gal.

JP
04-14-2008, 08:00 PM
However, we are moving into a condo soon, which will mean less travel for sure.
Hey Stan, where are you going to be laying your head? Back in Tampa or somewhere else in the Sunshine State?

DiscGo
04-14-2008, 09:54 PM
That is one of the most beautiful trees which I have ever seen. Thanks for posting this. I have seen some ugly areas of most any state to which I have visited but the one thing that I keep discovering is how beautiful each state really is.

sparker1
04-17-2008, 09:32 AM
However, we are moving into a condo soon, which will mean less travel for sure.
Hey Stan, where are you going to be laying your head? Back in Tampa or somewhere else in the Sunshine State?

Our condo is in Seminole, located between St Pete and the beach...closer to the beach. It is on a bayou too shallow for power boats, just canoes, kayaks and water fowl.

sparker1
04-17-2008, 09:42 AM
That is one of the most beautiful trees which I have ever seen. Thanks for posting this. I have seen some ugly areas of most any state to which I have visited but the one thing that I keep discovering is how beautiful each state really is.

I agree this is a beautiful tree, but there are many around charleston and Savannah. After we left Charleston, I heard of a tree even older and larger than this one, but one of its branches had broken. What a shame.