PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU bounce back?

TreeHugger
04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
So, last riding season I had two really nasty crashes. The first one was in July, when I threw myself off the side of a mountain, over rocks for about 25 feet - my bike continuing for about 25 further feet. (Wasatch Crest) I got pretty beat up with some nasty lacerations, very scary, really. The second one, in September, I was ridin' down a trail at Sundance, not technical and a real good cruiser, moving pretty quick when all of a sudden BAM! down I went onto my hip. Immediately an egg the size of a cantalope and rock hard. Bad.

The worst part of it both was that they were not particularly technical, no rider error, just flyin' along then ... done. The first one, I just came off a rock funny, it bumped my front tire onto an off angle rock and over I went, the second one, I dont know, caught some looser dirt toward the outside of the hardpack.... Point being, there was no real reason for the crashes.

The question: Now I'm very tentative, frightened perhaps, I guess, to ride fast down mountains :-) Intellectually, I know I have to just get out there and ride, but man, it's hard to get it out of my head. Riding season's starting... How do YOU bounce back?

Sombeech
04-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Switch to platform pedals like I did. :lol8:

tallsteve
04-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Good question. Don't know if anything I say will help, but... I plan on one good crash per year- that's been my average- except nothing last year. When I crash, I analyze and, probably over analyze, what happened and what I did wrong. I figure out what to do different. Many of the crashes I've had were like yours where it shouldn't have happened- but after thinking about it my mind was nearly always wandering instead of concentrating on the trail. Surprisingly, the older I've gotten, the faster I've gotten going downhill (not that I'm blazingly fast mind you). I mostly contribute it to practice, practice, practice and more practice. The older I've become equals much more trail miles beneath my tires. The last few years I've really worked on my downhill skills, uphill climbs used to be my strength but just because of age I can't climb like I used to but age has no bearing on going downhill. To get your confidence back, I would suggest riding the same trail over and over until you can lie in bed and 'ride' the whole trail in your mind- you know where every root, rock and bend is. When you can fly down that trail, your confidence will be back and you can ride anywhere. Long way of saying "But what do I know".

tanya
04-10-2008, 09:24 PM
I have always been a fighter -- as in love to fight -- street fighting (when younger), Wrestling and Judo and Judo at the International level so I am not exactly a wimp ---- but I only took one fall on a bike --- when I was working on my MS degree, so not so young or so old, but I never got back on a bike again. I have this big scar on my shin from it too! It's a long way to fall and you fall on hard stuff! You bike riders are crazy. :mrgreen:

I hope you get back on one but I sure understand if you don't!

I use to take a good hundred falls a night in my judo days, now there is no way I am going to let anyone throw me even once! There comes a time when enough is enough. I like to learn new sports and do new things after I have done one for a while --- so my interest after Judo was dance. Much safer too and it's fun to do something different!

Good luck with getting back on the bike!

live2ride
04-11-2008, 07:11 AM
I just accept the fact that a crash is going to happen sooner or later so I try to be as prepared as possible, good helmet, glasses, shorts jersey etc. When I do crash I get up and keep on going but make sure that my next ride is the same ride that I crashed on so I can get that out of my system. One thing that can help is to Slow down a bit and take it easy!

greyhair biker
04-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Good question. Don't know if anything I say will help, but... I plan on one good crash per year- that's been my average- except nothing last year. When I crash, I analyze and, probably over analyze, what happened and what I did wrong. I figure out what to do different. Many of the crashes I've had were like yours where it shouldn't have happened- but after thinking about it my mind was nearly always wandering instead of concentrating on the trail. Surprisingly, the older I've gotten, the faster I've gotten going downhill (not that I'm blazingly fast mind you). I mostly contribute it to practice, practice, practice and more practice. The older I've become equals much more trail miles beneath my tires. The last few years I've really worked on my downhill skills, uphill climbs used to be my strength but just because of age I can't climb like I used to but age has no bearing on going downhill. To get your confidence back, I would suggest riding the same trail over and over until you can lie in bed and 'ride' the whole trail in your mind- you know where every root, rock and bend is. When you can fly down that trail, your confidence will be back and you can ride anywhere. Long way of saying "But what do I know".
This is great advise. Over the years of crashes I have forgotten where each one came from when I look at em sometimes :haha: But I learned something from them...always, and I mean ALWAYS get back on the bike and ride! The more you focus on the actual crash, the more you will crash...wierd huh? Put you focus on the trail ahead, the destination..whether it is 20-30 feet ahead or the end of the trail. I've been on the trail after a crash and had to just stop and wait til I stop shaking. The more you sit and think about the crash, the longer it seems to take to get your confidence back. Kinda sounds like a good take on life eh? :2thumbs:

TreeHugger
04-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Great thoughts guys. For sure, I'll get back on the bike, always do, and I've crashed a lot. Maybe it's because I really hate being injured, I'm not afraid of getting hurt, per say, what I'm afraid of is being laid up. I'm getiin' old - dont bounce back as well. haha.

I love to mountain bike, it's my passion, so I need to heed your thoughtful advice and get out there more, practice more, keep riding the evil trails that grabbed me and keep smiling.

Peace,
Tree.

ogdmfg
04-11-2008, 12:24 PM
I have lost count on how many bad crashes I have had, even a few had to stitched up, those are my constant reminders of what can go wrong but I don't dwell on them get up and start again just a little encouragement

fourtycal
04-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Over the years of crashes I have forgotten where each one came from when I look at em sometimes :

:roflol: I remember a lot of them! Slickrock in the snow! :roflol:

I think Tallsteve has it right "more trail miles beneath my tires". experience definately helps. I am a fairly cautious rider nowadays but still crash here and there, Its just risk for reward.

Gear also helps confidence, shorts with side padding, knee/shin guards and elbo/forearm guards tend to help me loosen up a bit.