PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Group Dynamics

accadacca
04-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Guess I am a bit of a TR snob. Pix and report on a yahoo group? :nono: I just cant go back to a moped after having a BMW. :haha: Bet you had fun. . .

Alex
04-08-2008, 06:11 AM
I don't belong to that group, so I am with acca on this one.

TRs on yahoo groups... :roll:

Bo_Beck
04-08-2008, 06:29 AM

Not all yahoo groups are taboo :haha:
You are welcome to spread the cheer here!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_National_Park_Hiking/ :popcorn:
Nice TR and cool pics! :2thumbs:

Bo_Beck
04-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Guess I am a bit of a TR snob. Pix and report on a yahoo group? :nono: I just cant go back to a moped after having a BMW. :haha: Bet you had fun. . .

Know what you mean! After driving my wifes new Volvo S60 all weekend (she was in SLC :haha: ) and then getting into my '92' Pathfinder with 300,000 miles (which wouldn't start this morning! :ne_nau: ) I realized how spoiled a person might become! ( I doubt my wife is gonna let me drive her car again :nono: ) Oh well...sometimes it's necessary to digress!

Iceaxe
04-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Help, I'm not a member of Yahoo......

http://www.afunnystuff.com/forumpics/cantseeshitcaptain.jpg

Jaxx
04-08-2008, 08:20 AM
nevermind on the TR. I'm uneducated.

I love the pic of you climbing out of the monkey hole!

stefan
04-08-2008, 08:23 AM
HAHA I'm a member of the group!

OK here you go this is the TR from the Yahoo group. I hope Matt is ok with me posting this

:nono2: :nono2: :nono2:

jaxx, etiquette says you should ask Matt before you post it.
not sure what you were thinking

Jaxx
04-08-2008, 08:32 AM
HAHA I'm a member of the group!

OK here you go this is the TR from the Yahoo group. I hope Matt is ok with me posting this

:nono2: :nono2: :nono2:

jaxx, etiquette says you should ask Matt before you post it.
not sure what you were thinking

oops. I deleted it in my first post. I wasn't thinking I guess, I thought I was just helping him not have to do more work. My apologies Matt.

RAM
04-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Guess I am a bit of a TR snob. Pix and report on a yahoo group? No No I just cant go back to a moped after having a BMW. Ha Ha Bet you had fun. . .

Scott....its Scott isn't it? Lots folks directed me toward this post above. Glad to see your paying attention to the Yahoo after all. Moped and BMW? Perhaps fine wines would be a better way to look at it. This site you have started has many fine attributes. The energy, the banter, the ability to post such nice pictures. Like a fine 10 year old California wine. Tsk, tsk, to refer to Canyons Yahoo Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/ ; as a moped? That isn't very kind. After all imitation is the finest form of flattery. Just recently, we noted that a thread was started by one of your moderators, Rock, the idea taken from that "moped" of a group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/43952
http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11302

What was encouraging was that acknowledgment of the source occurred and credit given. This has not been the case in the past. This was a pleasant development and shows that the wine here is starting to age nicely. I wrote Rock and suggested that in addition to the appreciated acknowledgment, that a link to my original post would be good form. Although I received no reply and that was never done, I assume that he sees the "good manners" in such a course and that that courtesy would be forthcoming in the future.

Canyons group has been around a long time and provides a more serious and narrow focus on canyoneering. It is like an old and aged fine French wine. This is not to say that we didn't have some difficult times, with conflict and behaviors that were less than mature. We did indeed as a review of our extensive archives reveals.I can only say that I am pleased that our bottle of fine French wine was not opened then and allowed to age more. It would have tasted sour back then. The atmosphere is better now. We at canyons, note some of the same growing pains we experienced, over here, at times. Just one recent example would be a post being made under the name of a fellow who didn't belong to your group and who that very day was doing a canyon in Death Valley with me. All to get a photo up? Tsk, tsk.

Just yesterday another moderator of this forum, Tanya, directed the Canyons group, to this site, with a post and link...twice.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/44281
We are comfortable enough in the quality of what we do over at Canyons, to not feel threatened by such light being shed on what many consider a competitor.
We hope that as the wine ages over here, that the folks here will develop that same level of confidence and comfort toward us.

We invite members of this group who don't belong to Canyons Yahoo Group to come over sometime and take a look. There is great depth of experience over there. Many folks belong to both groups. I hope this will not be seen as conceited, offering up an example of a quality trip report and pictures, it being one of my own, but at least I have permission to use it. :D This from 2 days ago.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/44263
Hope you enjoy

I am curious to see how this post will be received over here. To see if the wine is continuing to age well, or if it needs more time. Regardless, you have a fine product and much potential and I wish you well. I hope you will extend us same courtesy. Off to take a ride on my moped now.
Ram
:cool2:

rockgremlin
04-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Ya, I tend to not get caught up in the drama of choosing one over the other. I frequent both sites, but am more of a "lurker" on the Yahoo Groups, and post occasionally. Both forums exist to the same end....to share beta, and keep in touch with friends and acquaintances within the sport. They both have their plusses and minuses....all depends on perspective. I don't like to assign one better than the other at the risk of making war, and polarizing the folks that frequent each forum. A free and open exchange of ideas is a good thing -- why burn our bridges?

Where possible I believe it a good thing to employ common courtesy when posting (ie given credit to the original author of a thread, and adding something thoughful and/or useful). I hope we can all strive for that.

Jaxx
04-08-2008, 01:02 PM
I hope this will not be seen as conceited, offering up an example of a quality trip report and pictures, it being one of my own, but at least I have permission to use it. :D This from 2 days ago.
Hope you enjoy

Ram

weird... I just got done reading that. Very good TR. I love the pics. That area is so awesome to visit!

Jaxx
04-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Ya, I tend to not get caught up in the drama of choosing one over the other.

I didn't realize there was drama, I am just a lurker at the Yahoo group. I am not sure why that is. I guess because I don't really know anyone over there, mabey I need to make more friends.

kaptain
04-08-2008, 01:19 PM
mrbrejcha, please post your TR here. I'm banned from canyons for not kissing ass.

RAM
04-08-2008, 01:23 PM
I hope this will not be seen as conceited, offering up an example of a quality trip report and pictures, it being one of my own, but at least I have permission to use it. :D This from 2 days ago.
Hope you enjoy

Ram

weird... I just got done reading that. Very good TR. I love the pics. That area is so awesome to visit!

Like here, there is a long tradition of friendships made via interesting posts attracting the attention of folks and getting invites. A very recent example was Landon, shown in the pictures, who was on his first major trip with my group. He wrote an eloquent post about his brother and the advanced scout group that produced his love of the outdoors. Voila! Invite. I realize that I didn't add the link to the pictures you referred to. Here it is

Here are the 125 surviving pictures out of the 1,060 taken by Aaron and I from
our 10 day March trip. Included are pictures from the TR sent today. Hope you enjoy
Ram
http://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/MarchTrip2008

Sombeech
04-08-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm banned from canyons for not kissing ass.

:roflol:

Oh, the rivalry.

I think accadacca's point was not to offend anybody, but just to point out his opinion.

In his opinion, it is easier to have one link, and scroll down through the pictures rather than multiple links and wait for picasa to load each photo.

This doesn't mean that everybody on the Yahoo Groups are seen as enemies, competition, dimwitted, or stubborn. Some people just can't see the trip reports because they're not a member, and they don't feel like creating a membership to see the photos. This is just difficult for the fair weathered canyon lurker like myself.

To each his own.

And the moped thing, we all know they're like big women......

CarpeyBiggs
04-08-2008, 01:41 PM
mrbrejcha, please post your TR here. I'm banned from canyons for not kissing ass.
Ooh, this is too good... Kaptain, are you just another namelesscoward? Finally learning to use proxy servers are ya? I'd love to know who this person is that got "banned..." Do tell. :roflol:

marc olivares
04-08-2008, 02:42 PM
this whole rivalry thing is just silly.
whats funny, is most who follow canyoneering lurk/participate on BOTH sites.

i post up more here due in part that i prefer PhpBB over yahoo groups.
now if someone ponied up for a Vbulletin and made the 2 group one, that would be sweet.
but the reality is that certain egos wouldnt allow that to happen, so in the end we are stuck with what we have.

just plain silly if you ask me but then again, what do i know :ne_nau:

stefan
04-08-2008, 02:52 PM

well, if you're as interested in canyoneering as you seem to be, you might want to consider joining the Canyons Yahoo Group and the ACA Forums. all three of these forums have something different to offer as far as canyoneering goes. each has their own place.

Iceaxe
04-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I'd love to know who this person is that got "banned..." Do tell. :roflol:

Sorry Crappy, I can't help you on this one.... I was never banned... moderated "yes".... banned "no"....

:popcorn:

Sombeech
04-08-2008, 03:12 PM
now if someone ponied up for a Vbulletin

It's definitely being discussed.

Iceaxe
04-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Moped and BMW? Perhaps fine wines would be a better way to look at it.

Apples and oranges....

I think Acca was speaking technically as an IT guy.... then yeah

Sombeech
04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
and me speaking as a guy who likes the outdoors... let's quit getting so defensive on the internetz.

Iceaxe
04-08-2008, 03:51 PM
i post up more here due in part that i prefer PhpBB over yahoo groups.
now if someone ponied up for a Vbulletin and made the 2 group one, that would be sweet.

but the reality is that certain egos wouldnt allow that to happen, so in the end we are stuck with what we have.

What is this Vbulletin of which you speak? Is it really that much better? And would we be able to keep our current content?

If it's really better I'll pay for the upgrade, but you have to convice me it's better....

As for combining the groups.... the men you have to speak with are Ram and his cohorts.... I have enquired before about combining the groups and proposed what I thought was a workable solution... I believe one of Ram's cohorts exact reply was "over my dead body"....

If the canyoneering community really wants only one forum it's easy enough to obtain... they just have to apply a little consumer pressure to force the wedding.

CarpeyBiggs
04-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I'd love to know who this person is that got "banned..." Do tell. :roflol:

Sorry Crappy, I can't help you on this one.... I was never banned... moderated "yes".... banned "no"....

I was asking "Kaptain." Oh wait...

Iceaxe
04-08-2008, 04:06 PM
As you well know since you are pretty much a stalker with no other life.... I use namelesscoward on some forums....so...

namelesscoward "yes".... kaptain "no"

Please update your program.....

ratagonia
04-08-2008, 05:57 PM
What is this Vbulletin of which you speak? Is it really that much better? And would we be able to keep our current content?

If it's really better I'll pay for the upgrade, but you have to convice me it's better....

As for combining the groups.... the men you have to speak with are Ram and his cohorts.... I have enquired before about combining the groups and proposed what I thought was a workable solution... I believe one of Ram's cohorts exact reply was "over my dead body"....

If the canyoneering community really wants only one forum it's easy enough to obtain... they just have to apply a little consumer pressure to force the wedding.

I like having two groups, with decidedly different character. I can be more abrasive over here (though I have just been told I am extremely abrasive over there). Oh well, sometimes maybe I get confused!
:ne_nau:
Tom

abirken
04-08-2008, 06:11 PM
I think there should be as many canyoneering websites to suffice the demand. Some users may be more comfortable using one over another. No big deal? Or is it? I don't think it is. I'll join and use where and what website I feel most comfortable with. :roll: There could be 500 individual websites out there......no need to merge.

accadacca
04-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Wow! This got blown outta proportion. I received a lengthy response to my one sentence reply, with some nice wine analogies for good measure. :lol8:

Pick yer poison I guess. I am not bothered where you post. I prefer to read the information here on bogley and see the pictures. Many employers block the photo sharing websites, including mine. So I could not see this TR and I don't like multiple logins. However, bogley is not blocked and the pictures display just fine.

As for Yahoo Groups. Well, I was strictly speaking about web technology. Yahoo Groups is just old technology, developed in 1998. It has had very few updates over the past 5 years and is just still there somehow. Kinda like a dinosaur still floating around the web, or a moped if your a motorcycle guy like me. As mentioned by others, there are certainly better platforms available.

It was nothing to do with the people. Sorry if I offended. I play on the interwebs for a living (not on bogley) and I guess I am a web snob. :lol8:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo_Groups

Sombeech
04-08-2008, 06:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo_Groups

"Yahoo! Groups competitor is Google Groups."

Oh hell. :lol8: I hope nobody notifies the moderator of the google canyon group, "hey, those guys on bogley are talking about your competitor, yahoo, you'd better get on here and say something".

Bo_Beck
04-08-2008, 06:51 PM

Dang! I thought you were joking around? Seems that this is serious business! :ne_nau: Lets get serious Scott! :haha:

Hope you make it to the Bogley Fest! I'm going to do my best to be there (if it becomes); wanna meet you guys for sure. :nod:

Felicia
04-08-2008, 06:52 PM
I like the different groups....like going to different sporting goods/outdoor recreation stores, each offers something special. :nod:

Iceaxe
04-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Wow! This got blown outta proportion.

What's that old saying about mopeds....

"They're a lot of fun to ride, but you wouldn't want your friends to see you on one."

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

I'm thinking the real problem is someone just got caught riding a moped....

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

:five:

nat
04-08-2008, 08:59 PM

Banned on the canyons group? I'd really like to hear the details.

Personally, I think this has gotten a little silly. I enjoy both groups, and post more or less equally on each (which is not very often). Each has it's plusses and minuses. Love the emoticons :haha: :2thumbs: :cool2: on Bogely, as well as how the threads are organized. But canyons has all kinds of great discussions, beta, and TR's. I don't see any reason why there should only be one group.

As to being beat on by the bosses, hell, I've been busted by the helmet police on BOTH groups :haha:

Iceaxe
04-08-2008, 10:03 PM
I would be so happy if there was a way to get Ram and Shane to do a canyon together. Bo and I would be there too if allowed. Maybe Tom would come too? And Rich... okay maybe I am pushing it there.

I do a couple canyons every year with Tom....

Does Rich still do Canyons or only organize and teach?

I've done canyons before with Ram and I'm sure I'll do more in the future. I've never considered the differences between the two of us to be personal, at least not on my part anyways. We both just have a different idea of the direction the sport of canyoneering should take......

:2thumbs:

.....and as soon as I convince Ram he is riding a dinosaur to it's grave everything will be rosey....

:lol8:

Sombeech
04-08-2008, 10:10 PM
So here's what I want.

I want some Girl Scouts to send me a note whenever a Yahoo Group is talking about Bogley. :roflol:

RugerShooter
04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
There is a canyoneering group on Yahoo?

Sombeech
04-08-2008, 10:19 PM
There is a canyoneering group on Yahoo?

OH NO YOU DI-IN'T!!!!!!

Iceaxe
04-09-2008, 01:36 PM
OK.... I split the tread again and I hope we got things fixed up....

So, back to our regularly scheduled programming....

When last we left it appeared that a lot of people enjoyed having more then one canyoneering forum to visit....

Does everyone enjoy multiple canyon forums? Comments?

I used to belong to several forums but just don't have time for it anymore.

rcwild
04-09-2008, 07:03 PM

Here it is April already and I've only done around 25 canyons so far this year - in Hawaii, Taiwan, Nepal, California and Utah.

denaliguide
04-09-2008, 07:06 PM

Here it is April already and I've only done around 25 canyons so far this year - in Hawaii, Taiwan, Nepal, California and Utah.

sounds like you need to get out more. :haha:

hank moon
04-09-2008, 07:31 PM
all the groups prefer shrimp over pineapple. it's just the thing when your glitter sings: "the clams under my porch are shouting about all that breathing"

Iceaxe
04-10-2008, 08:16 AM

I knew I could get Rich to post. :lol8:

How ya doing Rich, nice to see you around.

Wow.... guess I should have brought a Sharpie to this thread so I could get all the star canyoneers who have visited to sign my helmet or somethin'....

Canyonbug
04-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Wow.... guess I should have brought a Sharpie to this thread so I could get all the star canyoneers who have visited to sign my helmet or somethin'....

What do we have to do to qualify as a "Star" Canyoneer? I want to sign your helmet too!

hank moon
04-10-2008, 09:54 PM
What do we have to do to qualify as a "Star" Canyoneer? I want to sign your helmet too!

ya gotta have some kinda internet presence...or a guidebook. easy!

oh yeah, it helps if you've done a few canyons, too.

Iceaxe
04-11-2008, 12:52 PM

Your Golden..... you can sign my helmet.

Anyone who mentors, guides or is involved in SAR gets to sign...

Hank can sign too..... just cause I like him...

:cheers:

accadacca
04-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Crickets. . .