PDA

View Full Version : .17 HMR

Iceaxe
04-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Hey I just picked up a Savage Arms rifle chambered for the .17 HMR cartridge, it has a 2x7 Redfield scope.. I can't wait to shot it. I traded a Chinese SKS for it.

The .17 HMR cartridge

The .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire is the hottest cartridge innovation since the .22 WMR was introduced back in the 1950's. It was developed as a joint project by Hornady, Marlin, and Ruger.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/17HMR.jpg

The .17 HMR is based on the .22 Magnum case necked-down to accept .172" diameter bullets. New, sophisticated projectiles were designed specifically for the new cartridge, and enough Hodgdon's Li'l Gun powder was used to give a 17 grain bullet a MV of 2550 fps and ME of 245 ft. lbs. in the Hornady factory load. Quality control was (and is) very tight; the goal is MOA (or better) accuracy from factory loaded .17 HMR ammunition. The result of all this is the highest velocity, flattest shooting, and most accurate rimfire small game and varmint cartridge ever produced.

JP
04-07-2008, 04:16 PM
That's a hot little round. I cannot make up my mind if I want a handgun chambered for that or the rifle :ne_nau:

denaliguide
04-07-2008, 05:16 PM
that ought to drive some tacks. what's the cost of a box of shells?

shagster
04-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Shells range from about $11-$15 depending on what you want. These things are awesome for varmints. We were out shooting ground hogs over easter and at 150 yds. it would blow em up. I have shot coons, foxes, and lots of ground hogs with these things. They are definatly tack drivers. Looks like a nice gun, have fun with it. :2thumbs:

shlingdawg
04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey, I own one of these. Great little gun for plinking praire dogs or shooting targets. Beward that the little 17 grain bullet is prone to drift in a good wind. Anything within 100 yards is money, but get a little wind and past 100 and you're throwing out prayers.

Fun gun, you may want to up the scope a bit but you'll have a great time shooting it. I bought bulk at Cabelas on the Hornady round.

MY T PIMP
04-08-2008, 12:38 PM
I love my 17 HMR, though I think it's horse crap what that little ammo costs. They're real tack drivers. :2thumbs: Looks like you got acu trigger with yours. That's a great add on.

Iceaxe
04-08-2008, 08:42 PM
I love my 17 HMR, though I think it's horse crap what that little ammo costs.

Ouch.... stopped in to buy some ammo today.... because as you all know a firearm is worthless without ammo....

anyhoo..... Sportsmans Warehouse nicked me $16.50 for a box of 50 (17 gr). I hate owning a gun with no bullets so I only bought the one box. I need to find a better source for ammo...

:rifle:

REDFOX
04-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Go to Rimfirecentral.com for ideas on where to buy .17hmr ammo. It is better to buy larger quantities. I have never paid more than 10.00 a box. I just bought 8000 rounds of .17m2 for 3.50 per a box.

DAA
04-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Ouch! I just looked at .17 HMR ammo prices yesterday too. Did I already say "OUCH!!"? Damn... I bought 10 cartons (5k rounds) a couple years ago at a decent price, but am just about out and planning to take some kids out shooting soon so needed to score a couple thousand more rounds. Had no idea the stuff had got so expensive. Holy crap... Looks like the kids are going to be using .22's a lot more than HMR's on this trip!

DAA

ericchile
04-15-2008, 05:37 PM
I have been debating getting this or a .223.. I am leaning towards the .223 because of the cheaper round and longer distant shots.

REDFOX
04-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Better check the availability of .223 rounds. I couldn't find a single box in the Salt Lake area 2 months ago. The only explanation that I got was that the ammo was being sent to the soilders. The ruger .204 is a great round to consider.

shagster
04-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Better check the availability of .223 rounds. I couldn't find a single box in the Salt Lake area 2 months ago. The only explanation that I got was that the ammo was being sent to the soilders. The ruger .204 is a great round to consider.

Yes and Yes. It it true we are sending a lot of our ammo over to the troops. It is going to be hard to find anything in a 22 cal. for a little while. The production facilities are so far behind and having a hard time catching up. I just talked to federal and CCI the other day and they are very stressed with how far behind they are. I guess we will see. My company owns federal and CCI so I do have very realiable sources.

The second yes is that the .204 is an awesome round. I own one and love it. Shot some praire dogs a couple of weeks ago with mine and was taking heads off at 250 + yards. :2thumbs: Awesome round. The only draw back to this round is the price. It is still high due to the fact that it is still a newer round. I think you pay about 17-18$ a box these days. Luckily I don't pay near that. :haha:

MY T PIMP
04-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Just went to the gun show this weekend and picked up some 20 grain explosive points for 9.95 a box. :2thumbs: