PDA

View Full Version : Resources PLEEZZZZZZ

abirken
04-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Hey, looking for a free photo web hosting site that I can use to share photos with friends, family and possibly you all? Now that I deleted my flickr account (long story), I was thinking I may like to get a new one? But I don't like flickr b/c they limit amounts of uploaded photos. Lemme know what you guys and dolls use.

theking648
04-03-2008, 10:57 PM
photobucket.com
:2thumbs:

and can be password blocked from the public.

abirken
04-03-2008, 11:01 PM
photobucket.com

Oh I have that! Didn't know I could use it that way. SWEET!! Thank you. Going there now.

theking648
04-03-2008, 11:04 PM
photobucket.com

Oh I have that! Didn't know I could use it that way. SWEET!! Thank you. Going there now.

ya go into options and make it private and then you can add a guest password to it... so if you wanted to you could just give that to your friend and they could look at your album.

Sombeech
04-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Bogley.com

JP
04-03-2008, 11:21 PM
But I don't like flickr b/c they limit amounts of uploaded photos. Lemme know what you guys and dolls use.
Even Photobucket hits a limit. It's a small price yearly to have a vast amount of space, but worth it.

abirken
04-03-2008, 11:27 PM
But I don't like flickr b/c they limit amounts of uploaded photos. Lemme know what you guys and dolls use.
Even Photobucket hits a limit. It's a small price yearly to have a vast amount of space, but worth it.

Yea I noticed I could upgrade which I guess I am not opposed to, but I find Flickr not very easy to use. I don't like it very much and I can't figure out why? The layout bothers me. I know, I'm weird. Just have a preference and still looking for something I like to use.

JP
04-03-2008, 11:48 PM
I use Photobucket for just about everything. They do add things from time to time which changes the looks and uses of it, but it's not all that bad.

Here's what it looks like: All my albums are down the left side, 900+ pics and you can make em' all private and only show what you want :mrgreen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/pb.jpg :mrgreen:

Here's a shot of the what sizes you want your pics to be, pic it once and they will always revert to the selected size, unless you change it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/pb-1.jpg

SLCmntjunkie
04-03-2008, 11:57 PM
I use picasa and like it a lot. It's free, gives you a lot of storage space and is real easy to use.

http://picasaweb.google.com

Sombeech
04-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Picasa is da bomb

abirken
04-04-2008, 07:44 AM
K I think I am going to check it all out. Thanks guys!

rockgremlin
04-04-2008, 07:51 AM
You can password protect images in Flickr as well, but you wouldn't know it from the layout. I agree the format sucks. The features and settings are not very user freindly. It took me a while before I discovered how to tweak all of the preferences just because you gotta dig around in menus and submenus in fine print at the bottom of the page. It really needs an overhaul.

abirken
04-04-2008, 07:55 AM
You can password protect images in Flickr as well, but you wouldn't know it from the layout. I agree the format sucks. The features and settings are not very user freindly. It took me a while before I discovered how to tweak all of the preferences just because you gotta dig around in menus and submenus in fine print at the bottom of the page. It really needs an overhaul.

Completely agree!! I think that's why I never logged back in and forgot about it. I got there and was like WHAT THE HAY? THIS SUCKS. The layout is terrible and I had a hard time navigating. And the whole 'YOU HAVE 100 PICS A MONTH UPLOAD' thing was stupid too. Photobucket is a little better and I'm more familiar with it. But I may check out Picassa also.

CarpeyBiggs
04-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Picasa, fo' sho'.

Sombeech
04-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Might I suggest a blog.

Even though you don't want to "write" anything, a blog at www.wordpress.com will give you 3GB of space.

Flickr and Picasa are designed to be "searchable", for the photo sharing community.

A blog can do that, or you can just abstain from using popular tags so it won't come up in searches. You can even make it private.

Upload your photos whenever you want, display them how you want....

Here is also one thing to consider; If you want to keep your photos private, is there a particular reason for putting them online?

rockgremlin
04-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Here is also one thing to consider; If you want to keep your photos private, is there a particular reason for putting them online?

Good point.

abirken
04-04-2008, 08:14 AM

Good point.

Yea it's nice to be able to send out a link to my friends, family and anyone else of my latest "look what I did this weekend" rather than having to send out individual/group emails and attaching photos in an email. I think it's just convenient. And I wanted a user friendly program to do so. That's all. And no I don't want the internet to be able to look at every single photo I upload and that's just my preference.

Sombeech
04-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Yea it's nice to be able to send out a link to my friends, family and anyone else of my latest "look what I did this weekend" rather than having to send out individual/group emails and attaching photos in an email. I think it's just convenient.

This is true, because people who still email 10 photos at 3MB each are a huge pain.

If you make it private, then you have to approve every person you want to share it with. This can change often, and become a burden if you just want to show somebody new. (you know... like me. :lol8: )

But seriously, here's what you do.

Whatever you create, just name it generic. You can even use gibberish as your title! Use a term that won't be searched for. sdkinxl,io - for example. use that as the title of your blog or account, and that would reduce traffic. It would just be very difficult for your friends to find it on their own.

Don't name your photos "us at the beach" for instance. Just name the photo sequence hhhhhh

Email the link out to your friends and family. The problem with making an EASY to remember name and title, is it's easy to search.

Flickr has that random photo slideshow, and even if you name it generic, your photos will still be floating around unless it's private.

The ultimate solution is, don't worry about going private. Just name it a normal name. People are going to find it, but that's ok. Just don't put your contact details for the dude from Guam. We're all out there on the internetz.

JP
04-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Hmmmm, thanks Beech....I'll have to look into that :haha: I just wonder how much 3g's are? 1000 high quality pics :ne_nau:

accadacca
04-04-2008, 01:03 PM
I think one of the best is www.smugmug.com

It is a little on the higher end side. Prolly my favorite out there. . .

accadacca
04-04-2008, 01:04 PM
If yer a true photographer. . .it is all about www.photoshelter.com

sparker1
04-04-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm very happy with pbase. It costs $23 a year, but you get lots of space and no transfer charges. I find it is up more often than some other sites, and usually faster than most of them. It has password protection if you like. Most of all, it has some great options for automatic formatting and framing, so you don't need any skill to use it. Also, there are no ads or pop-ups or any crap other than what you put there.

Take a look at my gallery to see what it's like. www.pbase/sparker1

abirken
04-04-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm very happy with pbase. It costs $23 a year, but you get lots of space and no transfer charges. I find it is up more often than some other sites, and usually faster than most of them. It has password protection if you like. Most of all, it has some great options for automatic formatting and framing, so you don't need any skill to use it. Also, there are no ads or pop-ups or any crap other than what you put there.

Take a look at my gallery to see what it's like. www.pbase/sparker1

I have recently started uploading photos to picasa. I do like it for a free site. So far is seems very user friendly to me. :)

I went to check out your site and the photos are ABSOLUTELY STUNNING. I would almost be embarrased to put my photos on PBASE only b/c it looks like it's designed for professionals.

You have captured some very, very spectacular moments in nature. I'm seriously speechless........Beautiful!!

JP
04-04-2008, 11:41 PM
I went to check out your site and the photos are ABSOLUTELY STUNNING.
You have captured some very, very spectacular moments in nature. I'm seriously speechless........Beautiful!!
Every time I open his pBase account to show people, it's always a speechless moment :2thumbs: I have yet to show someone who has not been left with a dropped jaw :nod:

sparker1
04-05-2008, 03:45 AM
Whoa, and WHOA! You guys are too nice, but thanks.

JP
04-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Just calling it as I see it :2thumbs: :haha: and You're Welcome :2thumbs:

abirken
04-05-2008, 07:57 AM
I went to check out your site and the photos are ABSOLUTELY STUNNING.
Every time I open his pBase account to show people, it's always a speechless moment :2thumbs: I have yet to show someone who has not been left with a dropped jaw :nod:

AGREE JP! Ok Sparker1....take the compliments or else...... :twisted:

sparker1
04-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Aw, shucks.