PDA

View Full Version : another noob

SLCmntjunkie
04-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Hey, everyone. My names Jim and I live in Sandy, UT, originally from North Carolina. I found this site looking for some online canyoneering resources and am hoping I'll be able to find some people to hit the canyons with, most of my friends are either too lazy or aren't into it.

I just started canyoneering last year, descending about a dozen different canyons (mainly in and around Zion), leading many of them and I'm hooked. I plan on spending a lot of time canyoneering this summer and I can go just about anytime, so if anyone needs a partner, here I am.

I also do a bit of rock climbing and mountain biking, mostly around the Salt Lake area. In the winter It's all about the fresh powder for me, I've been a regular Snowbird rider for about 8 years now. I got a snowmobile this year to get me to the goods in the backcountry and have found boondocking and hill climbing on a sled are just about as fun as boarding, so snowmobiling is now high on my list of activities.

RugerShooter
04-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Welcome :2thumbs:

bbennett
04-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Welcome Jim :2thumbs:

You're going to love this site. Maybe you'll even get to do some canyoneering with that pretty Tanya chick when you're down Zions way. As mostly just a casual observer on this forum, it looks like she has a great little group to connect with if you plan on dropping into some canyons down there.

I've yet to join in (mostly because I'm an out of shape pantie waist), but they've always got some great mountain bike group rides going on here throughout the season. Maybe I'll man up and join them on a couple this year. :ride:

Whatever you're into (in the outdoors, anyway), Sombeech and his boys have got it covered.

Alex
04-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Hello and welcome.

That's the reason a lot of us found this site, lack of every day friends who do this stuff. Most of my friends are computer nerds who know everything there is to know about the internets, but never have been south of Point of the mountain :roll:

There is a Noob fest brewing up, you might want to check it out in the canyoneering forum. It was a great success last year to meet all the outdoor junkies face to face.

Watch out though, we do bite sometimes :twisted:

SLCmntjunkie
04-03-2008, 09:04 AM
I have some friends, sadly more than a few, born and raised in Salt Lake and have never been south of Provo. Being someone who moved out here solely for the outdoor activities, I find it mind boggling that people can be so close to some of the greatest outdoor rec. in the world and never give it a try. To each their own I guess, less people to get in my way.

I've seen the post on noobfest and I'm interested, kind of a long thread but it looks like the date is still undecided. Like I said, I can go almost anytime, so I'll probably end up going.

bbennett
04-03-2008, 09:14 AM
I have some friends, sadly more than a few, born and raised in Salt Lake and have never been south of Provo. Being someone who moved out here solely for the outdoor activities, I find it mind boggling that people can be so close to some of the greatest outdoor rec. in the world and never give it a try. To each their own I guess, less people to get in my way.

I know what you mean. I have the same reaction to people that tell me that they have been born a raised here and never skied. What a waste of opportunity. It's like living in Hawaii and never going to the beach :wallbash:

Alex
04-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Me and Beech work for the same organization, we have roughly 5,000 employees (teachers). It amazes me to talk to people and find out the bubble (Ogden area) they live in. A lot of people think that a trip to SLC is a big outing! Like, OMG!!!11 :roll:

I don't bother saying "I went canyoneering" anymore, majority of people don't even know what the hell it is, even though the sport was born in THIS state! :roll:

Anyways :blahblah:

Glad you found OJA (Outdoor Junkies Anonymous) :2thumbs:

Regarding the long post, it's all the drama that you get with a fun activity, all part of the same package :roflol:

Sombeech
04-03-2008, 11:02 AM
most of my friends are either too lazy or aren't into it.

Hey, I think we have the same friends. :lol8:

Welcome to the forum, good to have ya.

accadacca
04-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Welcome to bogley! :naughty: