PDA

View Full Version : Guides Training Seminar Grand Canyon

Bo_Beck
03-30-2008, 04:51 PM
I went to the Guides Training Seminar yesterday at Hatch Warehouse in Vermillion Cliffs yesterday.

It was a special event the took place friday saturday and today. The event took place on the 25th anniversary of the High Water in Grand Canyon 1983. Saturdays schedule addressed river management plan, Glen Canyon Dam Operations, Whale Foundation, GCA, Native American Perspectives at the Grand Canyon, SAR pre-planning response, Ropes clinic, GCNP Isues, 1983- "way too fast" trip-slides and stories, 1983 stories and open mic. Gnarly 1983 footage! Raffle and party down to Outlaw Country Music of Gravy.

Did anyone else get the chance to be there?

Did anyone else get the chance to run the river at 100,000 CFS? :lol8:

Alex
03-31-2008, 08:55 AM
100K cfs .... wow :eek2:

tanya
04-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Tell us some of the stories the old timers told Bo!

Bo_Beck
04-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Tell us some of the stories the old timers told Bo!

There is just no way I could convey the stories told by these old timers of the river! One would have to be present to understand why! They paid their dues and now have the stories to tell.

I believe that a video is available of one of the great stories told about 4 guides that took 12 granolas (clients) down the river so that they could "transform" and bond into "oneness". The trip took place during high water, and the guides were outstanding at trying to keep the "corporates" alive, and making them feel as though they were intimate with the river and were very confident boatmen (and boatwomen) even though they had not one clue what was around the next bend because the river was a whole different "monster" at such a high level. At lunches and night time they would all sit in a big circle and chant to transform! It was absolutely hilarious, but then in order to understand, it has to be told by the boatmen. I will try to get my hands on the video!