PDA

View Full Version : Zion Wall Partner needed.

climbinghalfdome
03-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Because I live close to Zion (1 hour) in a small town the number of partners is slim. (Not many home grown locals climb.) I'm interested in any grade III and grade IV stuff. I can aid with the best of them as well as Free stuff in the lower 5.10 range. I've lived in the area for less than a year and I have every Friday and Saturday off.
Tomorrow I'm going to hang out at the base of Touchstone till someone comes along and maybe I can join a group. I've tried rope soloing and I guess there is a secret that I havn't figured out yet cuz it sucks!
Please reply off the list.
Coments are welcome.
Kevin

kevin_likes_to_climb_much@hotmail.com

trackrunner
03-31-2008, 02:30 PM
I might be interested. I need to get back out again, been way too long since my last climb. I haven't done any big wall stuff. I could be talked into it. Never lead climb but would love to learn how. I'm still looking for a job but need to get outdoors to keep my sanity.

I never put this together. This last weekend my father-in-law told me that my sister-in-law's new seminary teacher is looking for climbing partners. She attends school in Fredonia. I was like his name isn't Kevin is it; yes. So unless there are two Kevins from Kanab looking for partners, and haven't found each other, I assume it must be you.

Brian in SLC
03-31-2008, 03:52 PM
I can aid with the best of them as well as Free stuff in the lower 5.10 range...Coments are welcome.

Well, OK then...from your previous post about Touchstone:

All in all I'm not proud to say that we climbed 1 1/2 pitches in 8 hours.

So, uhh...sounds like you aid with the best of "them". Ha ha.

Ben, formerly of the Mountain Shop in Cedar City fame, showed me the proper way to do a bolt ladder. We were doing the Pulpet, a route my Chem professor had done back in the day with the boyz prior to their send of the first big wall route on the Great White Throne. Ben just stepped up, clipped a draw to the bolt, pulled up on it whilst leaning back and walking up in his climbing shoes, clipped the next one, and so on, "french freeing" the whole darn bolt ladder in around 2 or 3 minutes. I told him, no way, dude, that I'm strong enough to follow like that. He convinced me to try it, that it was easier than it looked. Sure enough, bang bang bang, no jumars, no aiders, up in a flash. Crazy.

Not sure I'd care to do it on a long bolt ladder, but, sure worked well to just quasi free climb the darn thing.

And, just for fun, I'll echo the sentiments of many of my friends and climbing partners who climb in Zion: practise on something besides a trade route before you get on a wall in Zion. Git 'er dialed first!

Yee haaa!

-Brian in SLC

climbinghalfdome
03-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Hay Trackrunner,

Yep I'm Kevin in Fredonia and Kanab. I work with your Father in Law and he mentioned your conversation and how you knew me from this web site.
Small world.

Hay Bryan SLC,

Thanks for the incouraging advice, your always so willing to share it.
I'd like to be there when someone French Free's Ron's bolt ladder. When can I belay you? 14 pins in 100+ feet. What is your APE index?
Mine is +2.
Kevin

{{[ FYI... I noticed that pin #6 on Touchstone was missing last week. It was still missing 2 days ago. ]}}

climbinghalfdome
03-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Hay Bryan in SLC,
How about kicking down the contact info

of many of my friends and climbing partners who climb in Zion

It sure would be nice to climb with 1 of them...
Kevin

brian
03-31-2008, 06:01 PM
hey I am down in hurricane. I am not experienced in aiding, but I can trad the basics. I got weekends off, send me a message if your up for it sometime. I couldnt send to your email for some reason.

climbinghalfdome
03-31-2008, 07:35 PM
my email addy didn't register well. here's another go at it.

kevin_likes_to_climb_much
@hotmail.com

No space between the much and the @ symbol.
the reason why the rediculous address is I hate spam, who would guess an adderess like that. Problem is I've forwarded too much stuff and a spamer got my address with someones message. Perfect way to have 100's of verified address on one email. Thats why I trim off my forwards and I also Forward less and less.
It will be interesting to see what advice Brian SLC has to say about this post.
Kevin
Still looking for a wall partner by the way.
I'm looking into investing in a soloist device. Please don't make me do it. LOL

jinx
04-07-2008, 09:29 AM
i am interested, very interested, but i am one month away from walking through a graduation ceremony and until then my schedule is tight. i have aided short routes, i mean short routes, i have never climbed a big wall. i do, however, have a couple of LARGE haul bags, large enough to carry offwidth gear ( i am from vedauwoo area), anyways have lots of free gear, but not much aid gear. i am very interested for june though, if that works for you?