PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Canyon?

Reedus
03-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Haven't done it yet, but I am pretty sure that Choprock is going to be my favorite when I knock it out this year. I've done Imlay, and that was good, but we blasted through it so fast that I didn't really have time to enjoy it.

abirken
03-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Considering that I have only 4 slot canyons under my belt, I'd say Main Blue John was my favorite.

marc olivares
03-23-2008, 01:06 PM
i'm backing shane on this one

"the one i'm in" or "the last one i did"

they are all my favorite for different reasons

Bo_Beck
03-23-2008, 04:15 PM
How many times have I asked Shane this? Never has he given me an answer other than "the last canyon I did."

So.... looking up a canyon Bo and I are heading to in the morning .. I find this.

http://climb-utah.com/Misc/favorite.htm

Ok Shane and Alex and Adam...what the heck did you do to this woman last weekend!!!!!! She's an animal....Tanya was spotting me on the downclimbs as we got into Yankee Doodle. Tanya.....you can forget the Hydroskins though. What you need is a pair of 220 Volt electric socks to keep those tootsies warm! A fun day in Yankee Doodle with a very special girl! They just don't make 'em' any better or funner to be with! Enjoyable. Hope to see some of your photos soon?
Bo

Bo_Beck
03-23-2008, 04:50 PM
How many times have I asked Shane this? Never has he given me an answer other than "the last canyon I did."

So.... looking up a canyon Bo and I are heading to in the morning .. I find this.

http://climb-utah.com/Misc/favorite.htm

Ok Shane and Alex and Adam...what the heck did you do to this woman last weekend!!!!!! She's an animal....Tanya was spotting me on the downclimbs as we got into Yankee Doodle. Tanya.....you can forget the Hydroskins though. What you need is a pair of 220 Volt electric socks to keep those tootsies warm! A fun day in Yankee Doodle with a very special girl! They just don't make 'em' any better or funner to be with! Enjoyable. Hope to see some of your photos soon?
Bo

Oops! Forgot this thread is about favorite canyon? I hate to admit it, but it has to be the storm sewers under Albuquerque in 1967. AWESOME! Might explain my demented idea of adventure? :mrgreen:

AJ
03-23-2008, 05:28 PM
For this country, Heaps is my new favorite. Choprock is probably second. Both are wonderful canyons. Make sure you are ready for both of them though; definitely not a beginner canyon...

Considering that I have only 4 slot canyons under my belt, I'd say Main Blue John was my favorite.

The lower part of Main Blue used to be one of my favorites (from the confluence to the big drop); Main Blue also is pretty spectacular. When you are up to it, do the squeeze variation of East Blue. That was a blast!

Take care,
A.J.

Iceaxe
03-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Ok Shane and Alex and Adam...what the heck did you do to this woman last weekend!!!!!! She's an animal....Tanya was spotting me on the downclimbs

You watch.... her skill set will take a major leap forward over the next few month's. I've seen it happen a hundred times when canyoneers who mainly frequent only one area step into a different environment.

I've also witnessed major skill leaps when one clique infiltrates into anther. Usually both groups experience a big leap in skills if they enter with an open attitude.

:five:

Bo_Beck
03-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Ok Shane and Alex and Adam...what the heck did you do to this woman last weekend!!!!!! She's an animal....Tanya was spotting me on the downclimbs

You watch.... her skill set will take a major leap forward over the next few month's. I've seen it happen a hundred times when canyoneers who mainly frequent only one area step into a different environment.

I've also witnessed major skill leaps when one clique infiltrates into anther. Usually both groups experience a big leap in skills if they enter with an open attitude.

Ok then? I wanna "infiltrate" another clique. My skills leave a lot to be desired. (hint-hint) "I have an open attitude." :rockon:

Iceaxe
03-23-2008, 06:30 PM
"the last canyon I did."

Usually the last canyon I did is the one I'm most interested in talking about. Sometime's I get accused of "pumping" a new canyon so folk's will use my beta to visit it.... but honestly, I just get excited whenever I do a new canyon.

:nod:

Alex
03-23-2008, 07:01 PM
"the last canyon I did."

Usually the last canyon I did is the one I'm most interested in talking about. Sometime's I get accused of "pumping" a new canyon so folk's will use my beta to visit it.... but honestly, I just get excited whenever I do a new canyon.

:nod:

Bo_Beck
03-23-2008, 07:55 PM
I've realized that its time to just LOOSEN UP, RELAX and GO WITH THE FLOW.
Fair enough, but just realize that not everyone shares this view of what is "loose," or "relaxing." And when a relative few dictate all the flow of the forum, it gets old for those of us who don't necessarily find this type of talk enjoyable, but would otherwise find this topic an enjoyable read.

I'll be honest to say that my favorite canyon ever was the dugout canoe ride up Pasagnan River to Pasagnan Falls in Luzon however it wasn't true canyoneering. Favorite canyon? Might Be Kolob Creek at 9cfs or possibly Checkerboard Canyon? :2thumbs: Most enjoyable for me ever though was a trip in Mystery with Tanya to test the flow of the Narrows at 170cfs and report back to the park our findings. :2thumbs:

Randi
03-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I've done a bunch of California canyons, a bunch of Zion canyons including Heaps & Imlay. I've done Chop rock, Neon, and a bunch of others in Utah including a slew of skinnies over there in North Wash. I've also done canyons in Mexico and Spain and on the isle of Crete, so I've seen all kinds of canyons and I really loved them all. I don't think I've ever done a canyon I didn't fall in love with at the time!

There is one canyon however that I keep going back to over and over again, and every time I go it still feels super magic. It's definitely one of the most appealing canyons I've ever done.

I think If I had to choose a "favorite" I guess it would be this one. It's a relatively easy canyon too, with way more hiking than the actual canyoneering part of it. Here are some pictures ~ See if you can guess which one it is. Hint: it's in Utah! :mrgreen:

http://picasaweb.google.com/advntrinxs/LikeMagic

intellectualdesperado
03-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Heaps. With ice box as a close second. Ice box would. I think I like Ice box so much because we setup a zip line across the long nasty swim at the last rappel. Which by the way was a bout 2wks from light sweet crude.

shaggy125
03-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Here are some pictures ~ See if you can guess which one it is. Hint: it's in Utah! :mrgreen:

Randi, that's Fat Man's Misery.

Picking a favorite is hard, but the Ram special... Neon and Choprock combo is probably my favorite trip to do. Neon from tri-burough bridges is so good, you leave thinking that is one of the best canyons ever... then you do Chop and Neon gets completely blown away. Heaps is up there with Chop. Kolob flowing is probably the most splashy fun. Frosted Flakes is by far the best really scary hard canyon I've done. Pandora's Box is up there for me, Hard Day Harvey is up there too. Doing some new stuff next month that I'm told could take some favorite canyon spots for me... we'll see.

Randi
03-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Here are some pictures ~ See if you can guess which one it is. Hint: it's in Utah! :mrgreen:

Randi, that's Fat Man's Misery.

Yup! That's the one! i LOVE that canyon. Love the hike. Love all the surreal, otherworldly things I see in and outta the canyon. There is something (to me) so magical about that place. First time through there I found a deer skull up on the ridge with a huge rack of horns. I kept him. Took him through the canyon with me, and took it home to my son.

Picking a favorite is hard, but the Ram special... Neon and Choprock combo is probably my favorite trip to do. Neon from tri-burough bridges is so good, you leave thinking that is one of the best canyons ever... then you do Chop and Neon gets completely blown away.

Ya know...I didn't feel that way when I did that combo. I loved Neon too, and didn't really feel like Chop blew it away. I guess I just really liked them both, and neither seemed better than the other. I'm weird I guess. 2nd time I did Chop is where I met you Eric! And I think that's the same w/e you guys did Frosted Flakes. You know what my favorite part of that whole entire trip was? This is gonna sound strange, but waking up at Fence canyon and hearing about 30 different birds singing in the early morning. To this day, I wish I had a recording of that! Talk about special! It was the coolest thing I'd ever heard on a camping trip! But as Ram has pointed out on occasion, I find joy in the simplest of things!

Heaps is up there with Chop. Kolob flowing is probably the most splashy fun. Frosted Flakes is by far the best really scary hard canyon I've done. Pandora's Box is up there for me, Hard Day Harvey is up there too. Doing some new stuff next month that I'm told could take some favorite canyon spots for me... we'll see.

I've not done Kolob or hard Day Harvey yet, but I have done Pandora's and that one was way special to me. I did it in the dead of winter, and with the combination of snow and ice it was phenomenal. I actually drove all the way out there from Calif. day after Christmas (10 hours) just to do that one canyon. Then I turned around and drove home the next day to unpack and repack for a hiking trip with my boyfriend! It was definately worth it!

I'm hoping to find a partner to descend Kolob with me over memorial weekend in May, before I continue on to Escalante. I'll post a note here when I start looking for partners - hopefully someone will bite! That's if the water conservancy hasn't started their release by then.

Kolob has been on my to do list ever since I first started doing canyons!

PS: I don't think I'd like doing hard scary canyons though! Tons of stemming and heinous up-climbs like what you guys did in Frosted Flakes doesn't appeal to me at all. Those be "crazy" boy canyons!

MY T PIMP
03-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Anybody heard of Wheatgrass Canyon on Monte Cristo? It starts at Lightning Ridge and go's to Causey Resevoir. If your willing to work for it, you can bag a pretty be elk or deer, in this canyon, but be warned it's not nick named "Ass Kicker" for nothing. As far as liking it, it has great heritage for my family, we've hunted it for more than 60 years. :nod:

Reedus
03-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Light sweet crude you say? Did Spry a year or so ago and the water in the last few rappels was almost enough to make you dry heave. Shaggy will testify.

Scott Card
03-25-2008, 02:26 PM
I try to look away.... but I can't....... must work. :popcorn: (And I think I like Heaps or Imlay or Kolob the best or maybe something else.... what were we talking about?)

tanya
03-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I try to look away.... but I can't....... must work. :popcorn: (And I think I like Heaps or Imlay or Kolob the best or maybe something else.... what were we talking about?)

I hear those 3 mentioned a lot. Are they because they are the prettiest or because they are the toughest 3 in Zion?

Scott Card
03-25-2008, 02:58 PM

I hear those 3 mentioned a lot. Are they because they are the prettiest or because they are the toughest 3 in Zion?

Since I am responding, this makes exactly two posts in a row that are back on the original and same topic for that matter. :haha: As to your question, yes and yes. Prettiest and most challenging/fun. I love being dialed in the canyoneering zone. Truly the only time when my brain is completely NOT thinking about what I do every other day is when I am in a canyon. It sounds paradoxical, but to canyoneer in Kolob, Heaps and Imlay require me to completely relax mentally and physically and the beauty is spectacular. Pure relaxation (and I am completely pooped at the end of it all :lol8: ) Yes I have to completely focus on the canyons but that is pure mental relaxation. Nothing like the last sequence of raps out of Heaps to completely clear the noggin of everything else but the last sequence of raps. :haha: Not sure any of that made sense so it fits with this thread.

tanya
03-25-2008, 03:05 PM
I try to look away.... but I can't....... must work. :popcorn

As to your question, yes and yes. Prettiest and most challenging/fun. I love being dialed in the canyoneering zone. Truly the only time when my brain is completely NOT thinking about what I do every other day is when I am in a canyon. It sounds paradoxical, but to canyoneer in Kolob, Heaps and Imlay require me to completely relax mentally and physically and the beauty is spectacular. Pure relaxation (and I am completely pooped at the end of it all :lol8: ) Yes I have to completely focus on the canyons but that is pure mental relaxation. Nothing like the last sequence of raps out of Heaps to completely clear the noggin of everything else but the last sequence of raps. :haha: Not sure any of that made sense so it fits with this thread.

No! Don't work! Come in here and play :twisted: :haha:

I loved Kolob for the beauty, Bo made it easy for me as usual -- all but the waterfalls on my head! (and the kitty in there) -- but have not done Imlay and Heaps yet. --- the beauty to me often comes out in the pictures --- so sometimes the easiest is the best because I have more photo time... which would be much more difficult to come by in the other 2 canyons from what I have heard. ... but sometimes --- not often! -- I like to put the camera down and just play. I almost did that when I went to North Wash with Shane and Alex but their nudging got me to take it and I am glad I did! They were so much fun to photograph!

Bo_Beck
03-25-2008, 03:11 PM

I think we were talking about getting my TR's online instead of....errrr oops...yeah, I like those too! :haha:

tanya
03-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Heaps. With ice box as a close second. Ice box would. I think I like Ice box so much because we setup a zip line across the long nasty swim at the last rappel. Which by the way was a bout 2wks from light sweet crude.

I REALLY like Icebox and totally agree with you about that swim... ohhhh that was cold, but at least we did it in the summer so it was quick and we warmed up quick. It's sort of cool to exit by the Kolob Arch too. That entry was a killler... talk about bushwhacking!

tanya
03-25-2008, 05:14 PM
How does every thread always deteriorate from canyons to male or female genitalia in a matter of a couple posts? Can't we stay on track just some of the time?

Ok, my favorite canyon? Hmm...

Gotta say Chop, Frosted Flakes, and Imlay are all up there.

What is Frosted Flakes?

Iceaxe
03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
What is Frosted Flakes?

Frosted Flakes is an AKA for a canyon in Escalante called Sleepy Hollow.

Steve Allen called it Big Tony in one of his books.... so Tom called it Frosted Flakes as in "There GGGrrrreeettt!"..... get it?

It's all part of the hide the canyon and confuse the n00b's game. :roll:

I've been told the canyon will be in MK's next book....

:cool2:

Sombeech
03-25-2008, 05:57 PM
hhheeeeyyyyyyy..... This belongs in the Canyoneering section.

I thought I saw it in there before, maybe it got moved by accident.

tanya
03-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Haven't done it yet, but I am pretty sure that Choprock is going to be my favorite when I knock it out this year. I've done Imlay, and that was good, but we blasted through it so fast that I didn't really have time to enjoy it.

Choprock seems to be a favorite... maybe 50/50 with Heaps? I am assuming its one of the harder canyons too?

stefan
03-25-2008, 08:05 PM
What is Frosted Flakes?

Frosted Flakes is an ...

whatever would you do without the nice folks on the internet to tell you these things?

thinking about ever getting into this slot?

Iceaxe
03-25-2008, 08:49 PM

Maybe one day..... :ne_nau:

Escalante doesn't work real well with my schedule/drive/location/partners/other hobbies/yada/yada, which is the main reason my website is a little thin on that area.

But hey.... you never know. I just need to figure out a way to keep my job from interfering with my play.

:blahblah:

tanya
03-25-2008, 09:15 PM

Maybe one day..... :ne_nau:

Escalante doesn't work real well with my schedule/drive/location/partners/other hobbies/yada/yada, which is the main reason my website is a little thin on that area.

But hey.... you never know. I just need to figure out a way to keep my job from interfering with my play.

:blahblah:

I like Escalante :haha:

Iceaxe
03-26-2008, 05:09 PM
But yeah.... It's nice when the threads turn back to to thread title....

....so in the spirit of everyone having a nice day....

My favorite canyon is Zion is Pinecreek.

Easy in, easy out, no riff-raff, some of the best scenery to be found in any slot canyon. Come on.... is there a better section of slot in the entire world then the Cathedral rappel? Only down side is the Harley's in the tunnel.... but I can live with that since I can make lunch at Oscar's, do a second canyon in the afternoon and still make happy hour at the Pizza Noodle.

:2thumbs:

My favorite "manly chest thumping" canyon in Zion is Imlay, Heaps is nice but the final rappel sucks, Kolob is over-rated.

trackrunner
03-26-2008, 05:14 PM

Easy in, easy out, no riff-raff, some of the best scenery to be found in any slot canyon. Come on.... is there a better section of slot in the entire world then the Cathedral rappel? Only down side is the Harley's in the tunnel.... but I can live with that since I can make lunch at Oscar's, do a second canyon in the afternoon and still make happy hour at the Pizza Noodle.

again trying to get back on topic

My favorit Zion canyon is Mystery. Mystery spring rappel, that is classic. It was only my second canyon ever, I need to go back. Trip anyone?

Bo_Beck
03-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Off to Zion tomorrow!!!! Whoo-hooo!

To lighten the mood a little - here's some picks of last Saturdays California Canyon! http://picasaweb.google.com/advntrinxs/EatonWithTheGGang032208

Wow! Don't know if I would want to come to Zion after seeing those pictures! That looks like a beautiful canyon! Great photos!

Iceaxe
03-26-2008, 09:00 PM
OK.... I put on my modertor hat again today and split all the crap out of this thread into the "Bitch Bitch Bitch" thread.

Let's try and keep this thread on topic. Any more bitching in this thread and I'll just delete your post. You have been warned. You are free to post, bitch or flame in the Bitch Bitch Bitch thread.

I'll attempt to do this a little more often when we have a train wreak.

Bo_Beck
03-26-2008, 09:10 PM
OK.... I put on my modertor hat again today and slipt all the crap out of this thread into the "Bitch Bitch Bitch"....

Let's try and keep this thread on topic. Any more bitching in this thread and I'll just delete your post. You have been warned. You are free to post, bitch or flame in the Bitch Bitch Bitch thread.

:lol8: :haha: :haha:
How much are they paying you! This just doesn't seem to be you? :ne_nau: Not bitchin', just odd! :ne_nau:

Bo_Beck
03-26-2008, 09:18 PM

My favorit Zion canyon is Mystery. Mystery spring rappel, that is classic. It was only my second canyon ever, I need to go back. Trip anyone?

Too much snow in there for me right now! Been there, done that! I was in Mystery I think '94' or '95'? and wore sandals and shorts. The snow was 2' deep and I was dumb and miserable! The bad part was that we didn't get out til 8pm. Went to the lodge to get some dinner and the waitress asked where we were from? I said near St George. She asked if we were going home tonight and I said yes. She said no you aren't! I asked why :haha: She said that Sand Bench just slid and washed out 200 yards of the road! :eek2: Well she was right! I didn't go home that night! I believe it was April? :help:

Iceaxe
03-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Wow... splittin' out the drama sure killed this thread. :haha:

So I'll try a bump.....

Kolob is over-rated.

I was so disappointed with that canyon on so many levels.....

AJ
03-26-2008, 11:10 PM

Thanks for splitting it.

My favorite "manly chest thumping" canyon in Zion is Imlay, Heaps is nice but the final rappel sucks, Kolob is over-rated.

Pine is definitely a cool canyon, and Cathedral is certainly awesome. Too many people (usually) in there for my tastes though. I like to go to the canyons for escape and a little bit of solitude...

The final rappel is definitely interesting on Heaps; but I enjoyed it. I don't mind big drops. The rest of the canyon is so fun, even if I didn't like the rappel, I'd still find it worth it. The beauty in the mossy section by the iron room was incredible. Reminded me a little bit of the Aussie canyons in the Blue Mountains...

I personally liked Kolob; and that was even after doing the MIA exit three days in a row. Thought it was pretty, and very fun as we had a decent flow. I like canyons that present some challenge along with beauty (if you haven't figured that out from my favorites...)

Take care,
A.J.

Brian in SLC
03-26-2008, 11:47 PM
I personally liked Kolob; and that was even after doing the MIA exit three days in a row. Thought it was pretty, and very fun as we had a decent flow.

Ditto Kolob. Great canyon. Some of the colors and the pools in there are stupendious. And the hike out to the Virgin, with the bonus of the classic narrows, perfect. Great long canyon system. Has to rival Buckskin for length and the height of the walls are amazing.

Heaps and Imlay would have to rate right up there too, with their tight twisty narrows.

I could do Pine Creek over and over and over...

I'm a rap and swim kiddie canyoneer!

At least I was...when does the canyoneer membership expire? My last canyon was on Crete in 2006...

-Brian in SLC

AJ
03-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Off to Zion tomorrow!!!! Whoo-hooo!

To lighten the mood a little - here's some picks of last Saturdays California Canyon! http://picasaweb.google.com/advntrinxs/EatonWithTheGGang032208

Wow! Don't know if I would want to come to Zion after seeing those pictures! That looks like a beautiful canyon! Great photos!

Yeah, Eaton is an awesome canyon (if you can avoid the poison oak. ;) Did you do the slide Randi? Or did you rap it?

Here's my buddy Ken showing how the slide should be done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f5brlNnVs4

Here's mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VJaMOJjWac
Note: You may have to go full screen as sometimes Youtube has an issue with portrait based movies... (I don't know how to do this with embedded movies though...)

The slide is a blast, but it sure feels like you are in the air a lot longer just after your back leaves the rock...

Take care,
A.J.

AJ
03-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Ditto Kolob. Great canyon. Some of the colors and the pools in there are stupendious. And the hike out to the Virgin, with the bonus of the classic narrows, perfect. Great long canyon system. Has to rival Buckskin for length and the height of the walls are amazing.

At least I was...when does the canyoneer membership expire? My last canyon was on Crete in 2006...

-Brian in SLC

Since it was on Crete, I'm sure we can let it slide for now. You better renew soon though. Hope to see you on a trip soon...

I haven't done Kolob through the Narrows yet. I have always gone up MIA. Had the Kolob through the Narrows trip on my list for last year, but was messed up by the "up to 15cfs" flow story. Was watching the flow for a couple of days, and it was low (<5 cfs.) The day before we were going to go, I checked again, and it was around 20cfs. Nixed those plans...

Hope to make time to do Kolob through the Narrows this year... I agree though, the towering walls are incredible.

Take care,
A.J.

Iceaxe
03-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Part of my problem with Kolob was that I think my expectations were much to high. It was the last of the Zion big three that I did. My order the first time was Heaps, Imlay and Kolob. I was expecting Kolob to be more like the other two in length. I didn't realize the technical section was so short. I was just getting into the excitement of the canyon and it ended. And then our group of "12 of the world's greatest canyoneers" suffered a major clusterf**k at the end of the technical section that resulted in half of us sitting around wet and freezing our ass off for two hours while the other half held a circlejerk. That was the day I learned "Expert Canyoneer" had many different meanings....

The canyon is very pretty....

Scott Card
03-27-2008, 09:00 AM
I haven't done Kolob through the Narrows yet. I have always gone up MIA. Had the Kolob through the Narrows trip on my list for last year, but was messed up by the "up to 15cfs" flow story. Was watching the flow for a couple of days, and it was low (<5 cfs.) The day before we were going to go, I checked again, and it was around 20cfs. Nixed those plans...

Hope to make time to do Kolob through the Narrows this year... I agree though, the towering walls are incredible.

Take care,
A.J.

I loved my two day Kolob through the Narrows hike a few years ago. One of my most memorable canyon trips for sure. That was in my heavy pack days. Nothing like a couple of stoves warming up the griddle for a breakfast of pancakes and bacon somewhere in the middle of Kolob Canyon. The through hike was the best way to see the Narrows. And I think the narrows of Kolob (not the technical narrows) are as good as if not better than the actually Narrows of the Virgin. The river does add to the Virgin Narrows but as far as narrow towering walls, wow to Kolob Canyon. I still think that Kolob is one of the most beautiful canyons in the park particularly if you do the through hike. Take a camera for sure. :2thumbs: YMMV

AJ
03-27-2008, 09:31 AM
I loved my two day Kolob through the Narrows hike a few years ago. One of my most memorable canyon trips for sure. That was in my heavy pack days. Nothing like a couple of stoves warming up the griddle for a breakfast of pancakes and bacon somewhere in the middle of Kolob Canyon. The through hike was the best way to see the Narrows. And I think the narrows of Kolob (not the technical narrows) are as good as if not better than the actually Narrows of the Virgin. The river does add to the Virgin Narrows but as far as narrow towering walls, wow to Kolob Canyon. I still think that Kolob is one of the most beautiful canyons in the park particularly if you do the through hike. Take a camera for sure. :2thumbs: YMMV

I'll definitely have my camera along. Glad you had such a good time. We'll likely go light and fast though, and attempt to do it in a day... (of course, we'll be safe with emergency gear, just in case the day thing doesn't work out...)

AJ
03-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Part of my problem with Kolob was that I think my expectations were much to high. It was the last of the Zion big three that I did. My order the first time was Heaps, Imlay and Kolob. I was expecting Kolob to be more like the other two in length. I didn't realize the technical section was so short. I was just getting into the excitement of the canyon and it ended. And then our group of "12 of the world's greatest canyoneers" suffered a major clusterf**k at the end of the technical section that resulted in half of us sitting around wet and freezing our ass off for two hours while the other half held a circlejerk. That was the day I learned "Expert Canyoneer" had many different meanings....

The canyon is very pretty....

I agree it's definitely not on the same level as an Imlay or Heaps; and I also agree that the REALLY techie section is done pretty quick. However the beauty goes on and on...

I can also see how a bad group experience could taint your views. Maybe you need another lap through. Want to join us when we go through?

Sincerely,
Just another canyon "expert" :haha:

Scott Card
03-27-2008, 09:39 AM
I'll definitely have my camera along. Glad you had such a good time. We'll likely go light and fast though, and attempt to do it in a day... (of course, we'll be safe with emergency gear, just in case the day thing doesn't work out...)

That is some serious mileage. But what a day you are in for!!! I'll look forward to the TR.

trackrunner
03-27-2008, 09:50 AM

Too much snow in there for me right now! Been there, done that! I was in Mystery I think '94' or '95'? and wore sandals and shorts. The snow was 2' deep and I was dumb and miserable! The bad part was that we didn't get out til 8pm. Went to the lodge to get some dinner and the waitress asked where we were from? I said near St George. She asked if we were going home tonight and I said yes. She said no you aren't! I asked why :haha: She said that Sand Bench just slid and washed out 200 yards of the road! :eek2: Well she was right! I didn't go home that night! I believe it was April? :help:

I'm not saying to go right now later in the year.

Iceaxe
03-27-2008, 10:24 AM
I can also see how a bad group experience could taint your views. Maybe you need another lap through. Want to join us when we go through?

I'm always happy to get an invite. I usually go when my schedule allows.

I loved my two day Kolob through the Narrows hike a few years ago. One of my most memorable canyon trips for sure.

Everyone should do the two day through hike at least once. We did it a few years back in combination with Oak. Fun trip... :2thumbs:

Lower Section of Kolob
http://climb-utah.com/Zion/Files/oc-sf3.jpg

tanya
04-14-2008, 08:26 PM

Bo and I should be hitting that this summer. You could come. :five:

trackrunner
04-15-2008, 09:19 AM

Bo and I should be hitting that this summer. You could come. :five:
Yeah :five: :2thumbs: We'll be hitting up a lot of stuf this summer, Bridge Mountain, Right Fork, Mystery :2thumbs: