PDA

View Full Version : Zion Narrows.

Bo_Beck
03-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Been watching the waterflow and it looks like projections of 220cfs or so the first week of April? I have a feeling it will rise a lot faster and I'll have to wait until end of april or first part of may to try my first adventure in there. I've talked to friends that say 300cfs is perfect, but I would like to do it my first time at 250. Any thoughts or anyone done it before? If so what level was it and what was your experience? :popcorn:

Bo_Beck
03-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Been watching the waterflow and it looks like projections of 220cfs or so the first week of April? I have a feeling it will rise a lot faster and I'll have to wait until end of april or first part of may to try my first adventure in there. I've talked to friends that say 300cfs is perfect, but I would like to do it my first time at 250. Any thoughts or anyone done it before? If so what level was it and what was your experience? :popcorn:

Well..I guess I got my answer. Just met with a fellow that works at the park and he has done 9 trips. Seems that to try in the first week of April would be miserably cold and not so enjoyable. He suggested to wait for the downside of runoff and catch it when it's warmer. A lot will depend on what the flow of North Fork is, but there is a lot of coniferous slash/pokers to deal with in this section and a lot of bouncing off the walls. Of course it will be necessary to portage the falls and one other section just below. Once to Deep creek the water gains momentum and the real "tech section" is between Big Springs and Orderville but fewer of the coniferous strainer-pokers to deal with, but now the rock gardens to slalom. I'm really getting psyched to do this trip, but I think I'll wait til warmer weather! :rockon:

Alex
03-22-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't get it, you want to raft/kayak the Narrows in Zion?

I have tried that once back in 1995. Hiked from the bottom about 7-8 miles in. My buddy and I hid the Walmart 2 men raft in our backpacks, then "rafted" down the Narrows, past all the tourists.

The ranger finally caught up to us almost at the mouth of the canyon and gave us a warning. Since by that time our "raft" was all busted up and we were flowing on a single air chamber with two oars. :haha:

Anyways, fill in the details, I might be interested in joining ya :five:

Bo_Beck
03-23-2008, 05:45 AM
I don't get it, you want to raft/kayak the Narrows in Zion?

I have tried that once back in 1995. Hiked from the bottom about 7-8 miles in. My buddy and I hid the Walmart 2 men raft in our backpacks, then "rafted" down the Narrows, past all the tourists.

The ranger finally caught up to us almost at the mouth of the canyon and gave us a warning. Since by that time our "raft" was all busted up and we were flowing on a single air chamber with two oars. :haha:

Anyways, fill in the details, I might be interested in joining ya :five:

I intend to kayak it in a "Duckie". Another reason for not doing it right away might be the access to Chamberlain Ranch right now? The river has to be flowing over 140 CFS for over 24 hours in order to get a permit. Several of my friends have done it before and it seems that the concensus is 250 to 300 CFS is ideal?

I think the amount of hiking necessary is contingent on the flow of the North Fork? Once you turn the corner to Deep Creek hang on tight though!

The fellow I talked to last night that has done it 9 times prefers hiking directly into Deep Creek though. Another reason to wait until the downside of the spring run-off. Access to the trailhead into Deep Creek would be very questionable at best right now due to road conditions.

I'll keep you posted as to what my plans are as time goes along. It would be a blast to have you along :nod:

Alex
03-23-2008, 07:05 AM
I am not much of a kayaker, but I do the duckies for sure. Floating the Narrows would be awesome, give me a day notice and I will be there.

Do you have a duckie? I can rent them here at UofU for about 30 a day or something. Not very expensive.

Would it be an overnighter? I don't know many of the names you mentioned it, how much hiking is involved? I hope I will be able to keep up with you going up :hail2thechief:

What time frame are you looking at?

:rockon: I am excited

Bo_Beck
03-23-2008, 04:31 PM
I am not much of a kayaker, but I do the duckies for sure. Floating the Narrows would be awesome, give me a day notice and I will be there.

Do you have a duckie? I can rent them here at UofU for about 30 a day or something. Not very expensive.

Would it be an overnighter? I don't know many of the names you mentioned it, how much hiking is involved? I hope I will be able to keep up with you going up :hail2thechief:

What time frame are you looking at?

:rockon: I am excited

You bet your sweet Pasties I'll let you know! :haha:
It will be a true adventure and a blast. I have a duckie at the shop, but I'm pretty sure I can score another for you in Springdale?
It would be a hoot to do it as an overnighter, but I'm leaning toward a one day? Lets keep it open.
I'm thinkin' that we'll have to wait until the downside of spring runoff? Not too sure when that'll be but I am keeping a watchful eye and will let you know. I think I might even have Tanya interested (aquaphobic) talked into it if we do it in gentler waters. I'm going to get the beta for the hike into Deep Creek rather from Chamberlain Ranch? I think It's less hiking especially if we do it in lower flow. Rest assured I'll let you and Tanya know when the time is ripe....I'm as excited as you! :2thumbs:

Alex
03-23-2008, 06:57 PM
I guess it would be tough to do an overnighter to bring all the gear and the boat on your back. So I see your point.

How long do you consider the hike in to be in miles?

Bo_Beck
03-23-2008, 07:10 PM
I guess it would be tough to do an overnighter to bring all the gear and the boat on your back. So I see your point.

How long do you consider the hike in to be in miles?

Not so much luggin' all the gear, but losing it when gettin' sucked under a strainer and trying to catch up with the boat and all the gear! :lol8: But really, I think it would be cool to camp...just haven't done a lot of considering yet.? We'll get it figured out before the time comes though. :rockon:

Scout Master
03-23-2008, 07:13 PM
What will the water be like the first week of June?

Bo_Beck
03-23-2008, 07:20 PM
What will the water be like the first week of June?

Gosh? I havent looked the forecast that far out yet? Not too sure. There is a LOT of snow up in them thar hills though! :feelgood:

Alex
03-23-2008, 07:51 PM
I assume all rivers will flowing VERY high this spring, early summer. I got 3 trips scheduled already, can't wait! woot

Sombeech
03-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Screw rafting. Let's go tubing.

Bo_Beck
03-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Screw rafting. Let's go tubing.

No one said that you couldn't bring a tube :roflol: Good luck! You better bring those flotation devices that Tanya posted and wear them on your rear end! :nod:

tanya
03-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Please don't wear the female variety I posted though. ... :roflol:

Alex
03-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Please don't wear the female variety I posted though. ... :roflol:

It actually wraps me quite nicely :naughty:

tanya
03-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Can I see a picture of that. :popcorn:

oldno7
03-30-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm no bonafide ducky type guy but this sounds way too fun.

Bo_Beck
03-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm no bonafide ducky type guy but this sounds way too fun.

It was "permittable" today running at 147cfs, but after talking to a veteran who has done it 9 times, he suggested to wait until the downside of spring runoff as the temps. are much more pleasurable, plus he will show me an access directly into Deep Creek that eliminates 6 miles of hiking with a "boat on the back".

Alex
03-30-2008, 05:37 PM
*Standing by*

Were you able to find a second boat locally there?

Bo_Beck
03-30-2008, 06:05 PM
*Standing by*

Were you able to find a second boat locally there?

I think Zion Rock and Mountain Guides still rents the "Tomcat", and if not there is a possibility I can conjure up one from a friend. Will wait closer to the time and see whats going on. I'm figuring it will be a may1 to may30 window? Just don't know until the runoff begins and then subsides?

Alex
03-30-2008, 07:10 PM
End of May I have two river trips scheduled already. Hopefully it will be first part of May.

tanya
03-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Okay guys. I will do it.

I know I am going to die though!!!! :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

COUNTRYBOY
03-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Rafting down the narows. :eek2: Sounds like an adveture to me. I wonder if the wife would let me go. :roll: :blahblah: :mrgreen:

tanya
03-31-2008, 10:24 PM
The more to pluck me out of the river when I fall in the better! Tell her this crazy woman needs life support. Maybe she will feel sorry for me and let you go. :popcorn:

Whip Me. Strip Me. Tie Me !?!

You are a wild one! You belong in the Dungeon :lol8:

COUNTRYBOY
04-01-2008, 09:20 PM
[quote="tanya"

Whip Me. Strip Me. Tie Me !?!

You are a wild one! You belong in the Dungeon :lol8:[/quote]

I know, just let me out hike Zion. OK :haha:

mrbrejcha
04-19-2008, 04:54 PM
I want in on this! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

trackrunner
04-23-2008, 05:17 PM
I've noticed the flow rate is getting above 200 cfs. Even above 250 today, but for a short time.

04/23/2008 01:30 1.69 243
04/23/2008 01:45 1.72 250
04/23/2008 02:00 1.75 258
04/23/2008 02:15 1.73 253
04/23/2008 02:30 1.74 256
04/23/2008 02:45 1.74 256
04/23/2008 03:00 1.74 256
04/23/2008 03:15 1.72 250
04/23/2008 03:30 1.72 250
04/23/2008 03:45 1.73 253

Bo_Beck
04-24-2008, 03:57 PM
I've noticed the flow rate is getting above 200 cfs. Even above 250 today, but for a short time.

04/23/2008 01:30 1.69 243
04/23/2008 01:45 1.72 250
04/23/2008 02:00 1.75 258
04/23/2008 02:15 1.73 253
04/23/2008 02:30 1.74 256
04/23/2008 02:45 1.74 256
04/23/2008 03:00 1.74 256
04/23/2008 03:15 1.72 250
04/23/2008 03:30 1.72 250
04/23/2008 03:45 1.73 253

Just got off the phone with the park. 12 permits were written today for the Narrows! Accessed via Chamberlain Ranch. I spoke with my friend and he is drawing me up a map for the access to Deep Creek. Cuts down the hike with a Duckie from 7 miles to less than 1! I may be looking to do the Narrows within a week.....If I cant access Deep Creek from the point he shows me because of snow or mud I'm going to load up my new Mega-pack with the duckie and head out from Chamberlain Ranch. I just need to find a day off next week and be sure the flow isn't much over 300! XXXXXXXXXXX Fingers crossed! Just a heads up to those that were interested!

trackrunner
04-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Always thought floating the narrow would be cool after seeing this photo album. :nod:
http://canyonquest.com/v/zion/narrows/narrows_2006/

tanya
04-24-2008, 04:32 PM
I should be free unless I get a call of an inspection. I only get 24 hours notice for it and its due this month, but if its before teh 8th I should be good to go!

Alex
04-24-2008, 06:08 PM
I only need 6 hour notice :2thumbs: Just give the command. I don't have a duckie, so I will either have to rent here, or down there.

I have a couple of things lined up that keeps me busy. Apr 27th, May 17th, May 30th. Other days I am good to go, even during a week.

Bo_Beck
04-24-2008, 07:30 PM
I should be free unless I get a call of an inspection. I only get 24 hours notice for it and its due this month, but if its before teh 8th I should be good to go!

I only need 6 hour notice :2thumbs: Just give the command. I don't have a duckie, so I will either have to rent here, or down there.

I have a couple of things lined up that keeps me busy. Apr 27th, May 17th, May 30th. Other days I am good to go, even during a week.

I'll keep both of you informed. I hope the water doesn't jump up too quickly? Maybe tuesday or wednesday?

Alex
04-25-2008, 06:58 AM
That's fine, is there a way to get an IK from Springdale?

Bo_Beck
04-25-2008, 07:02 AM

I'll call ZRMG today and see what they have? Will let you know! :2thumbs:

Bo_Beck
04-25-2008, 07:16 AM

I'll call ZRMG today and see what they have? Will let you know! :2thumbs:

Yep! I can get an IK from ZRMG! I bet I can get a pretty sweet deal too? Travis said that if I can find out about the Deep Creek access, he'd like to shuttle us so that he can learn about that access as well? I'm sure we'd have to pay for gas for the shuttle which wouldn't bother me at all. Otherwise we'll have to hike in from Chamberlain Ranch so put on your walking shoes! Definately will need wetsuits and booties. I will be bringing a Tandem for Tanya and I so be ready to toss your throw bag! :lol8:

Alex
04-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Bo, count me in for whatever expenses, I am good for it. I will bring a throw bag and some rescue gear in case we need to peel the IKs hehe.

You just mentioned a tandem, is there a solo one I could rent?

Bru
04-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Bo, I've got a similar trip planned for May 11. The trip sounds amazing, but I've never done it before and I don't know what to expect. I would be very gracious if you could let me know how far down from Chamberlain Ranch you can put in, or the best way to get to Deep Creek. We'll be carrying 43 lb duckies, so we're hoping to minimize hiking. Any other obstacles I should know about? :eek2:

Good luck!

Thanks,
Bru

Bo_Beck
04-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Bo, I've got a similar trip planned for May 11. The trip sounds amazing, but I've never done it before and I don't know what to expect. I would be very gracious if you could let me know how far down from Chamberlain Ranch you can put in, or the best way to get to Deep Creek. We'll be carrying 43 lb duckies, so we're hoping to minimize hiking. Any other obstacles I should know about? :eek2:

Good luck!

Thanks,
Bru

Yeah! No info yet on the Clear Creek access? I have just heard that there is an ATV road that actually drops down into Clear Creek and goes back up the other side? I think the problem is that we've had such a wet year that it may not be accessible yet? The fella that is getting the map to me has done the Narrows 9 times and said that the North Fork of the Virgin is doable from Chamberlain Ranch, but is crazy to do in a "Duckie". Lots of "slash" in the form of coniferous trees to watch out for. Naturally they have lots of "pokies" to either skewer your boat or your throat trying to skim under them. Lots of curves and walls to bounce off of or ride the waves off of. Better done in a hardshell. Clear Creek access not only eliminates 6-7 miles of hiking but generally has fewer strainers according to him.It does have lots of class 3 technicalities to contend with. Thats why I'm shooting for 300cfs. Will certainly keep you posted as I know more, and better yet I'll be able to give you a TR! :rockon:

Alex
04-25-2008, 05:43 PM
a TR! :rockon:

...with PICTURES! With Tanya and me by your side, you will have plenty of coverage :2thumbs: :lol8:

Bo_Beck
04-25-2008, 08:04 PM
a TR! :rockon:

...with PICTURES! With Tanya and me by your side, you will have plenty of coverage :2thumbs: :lol8:

No word from Tanya? Are you ready to re-assure her that it will be a safe, yet adventurous ride? I promise nothing, but with 3 cameras along at least we can insure that it becomes documented! You want the tandem with Tanya or solo boat? Your choice...and of course the ultimate choice of Tanya......if she decides to go?

Tanya....to be truthful, this will be a wild ride. I believe that after 4 years of adventures with you, it will be the "ultimate" adventure we've experienced together if you so choose? I know your aversion of moving (or standing) water. This will be a "real test", yet no backing out. Once we've committed, we're committed. I know that both Alex and I (and everyone that loves you) would be awed by the photos and vocals that we can provide...it is about being able to somehow relate to whatever happens? I know that Alex and you want to experience this, but I'm obsessed to do it. Would love to have both of your companies, but don;t feel pressured. Make your own decisions.

Alex
04-25-2008, 08:52 PM
So when are you thinking approximately?
I think Tanya will be safer with you Bo.

Alex
04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/river/station/flowplot/flowplot.cgi?NFVU1

http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/river/station/flowplot/png/nfvu1.04-26-2008-04-13.1.0.0.0..10.10.0.1.0.0.0.0.0..0.H...0.0.png

Bo_Beck
04-26-2008, 06:10 AM
So when are you thinking approximately?
I think Tanya will be safer with you Bo.

Looking at the current flow peaks and looking at weather for the next few days....my guess is wednesday? Still not sure though? With hot weather projected for sunday and monday it could rise quickly and maybe tuesday will be the day? I will keep an eye on it and maybe sunday night or monday morning will be a better tell-tale? :mwink: :jump_nutt: :hydro:

Alex
04-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Sounds good, I will try to leave SLC the night before and stay somewhere on the way or maybe make it all the way to Springdale that night.

What time do you want to get going in the morning? I assume pretty early so we can be on the river by 8-9am?

Bo_Beck
04-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Sounds good, I will try to leave SLC the night before and stay somewhere on the way or maybe make it all the way to Springdale that night.

What time do you want to get going in the morning? I assume pretty early so we can be on the river by 8-9am?

Well!? I just got my pack loaded with the Tandem Tomcat and seats and paddles (no lifejackets, helmets, throwbag, food, water, wetsuits, emergency supplies, pump etc. ) and its weighing in at 68 lbs. I think I'm going to try to get hold of a Dr. friend of mine and see if he'll loan me his Tandem Bandit! :roflol: :mrgreen:

Bo_Beck
04-26-2008, 07:54 AM

Yes...I think we'll want to be driving up to either Chamberlain Ranch by 6 AM or so. The actual trip through the Narrows once on the boats I've been told can be as quick as 4-6 hours. If we have to hike from Chamberlain Ranch it will take us 4 hours to get to Deep Creek. That puts us at the put-in at around noon. 30 minutes to rig and batton down the hatches on the boats and then 4-6 hours of adventure? Pretty conservative figures I believe?

Bru
04-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah! No info yet on the Clear Creek access? I have just heard that there is an ATV road that actually drops down into Clear Creek and goes back up the other side?

When you wrote Clear Creek, did you mean Deep Creek? I haven't heard of Clear Creek. Looking at the topo maps, it looks like there is a faint road that crosses the NF Virgin River and gets you within a mile of Deep Creek.

Thanks! I'll be excited to read your TR. In a week, I'll be heading down for a weeklong+ trip.

Sombeech
04-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Wish I could go.

Get lots of footage!!!!!

Bo_Beck
04-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah! No info yet on the Clear Creek access? I have just heard that there is an ATV road that actually drops down into Clear Creek and goes back up the other side?

When you wrote Clear Creek, did you mean Deep Creek? I haven't heard of Clear Creek. Looking at the topo maps, it looks like there is a faint road that crosses the NF Virgin River and gets you within a mile of Deep Creek.

Thanks! I'll be excited to read your TR. In a week, I'll be heading down for a weeklong+ trip.

You are right! I just got Clear Creek confused with Deep Creek. Clear Creek skirts route 9 on the east side of Zion.

On the map I look at the same road on the east side of "Deep Creek" and wonder what the route down is to access the river? I'm waiting (hopefully monday) for my friend to present me with a map showing the "ATV route" into Deep Creek? I have loaded my pack partially and with wetsuits and other gear will be somewhere around 120#!!!!! If I can't borrow a bandit 2 from a friend monday then I'm dreading the 7 mile slog down North Fork with the pack!

Tanya and Shane invited me on a hike today and I discussed the adventure with Tanya. She seems good to go but I really want to take the boat out on monday with her to see how we may fair? Fingers crossed again!

shaneras
04-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Don't go if it's at 424, it can rise to nearly 800 REALLY quick :scared:

http://hikeraft.com/index.php?p=37&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Alex
04-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Shane, I read your whole report back when you posted it. Sounded too damn scary, I even skipped my lunch reading it. Glad you made it out ok man!

Sombeech
05-08-2008, 06:14 PM
so, did this thing ever happen?

tanya
05-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I think Bo is looking at some time next week. Bet you can go if you get hold of him. The problem as I understand it is that you have to wait for the water to get to a certain level before you go.

The 8 some mile hike in carrying wetsuits and the boat got to me almost as much as I am chicken to fall out of a boat. :mrgreen:

Alex
05-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Ya, the water is peaking when I will be floating Dolores :frustrated:

So I guess Bo is on his own.

Ya Justin, the hike in is going to be tough with the boat and gear on your back. Also, kayaking the narrows is not an easy thing either, read Shane's report, it's a great read.

Bo_Beck
05-09-2008, 03:54 PM
All planned out for next saturday. Water should be pretty good I hope?
Guy was just in the store. Did it yesterday and ripped out the center tube in his Bandit. That happened on the log at the beginning just below Deep Creek. Between Kolob and Imlay is a definate portage unless you want to get sucked under boulders and spit out (maybe) somewhere on the other side. Just after the end of Riverside Walk is a strainer that must be portaged unless you want more damage. He ripped a 1' hole in the floor alongside the tube.

Our plans are to drive up friday night, leave a vehicle at VC, continue to Chamberlain and camp. Get an early start saturday. You must hike the entire way to Deep Creek. No water in NF.

Guy started paddling around 3pmish and was out at 7pm.

So far it's Mike Nad and myself. Let me know if you are interested?

Alex
05-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I am interested, but I will be getting my ass handed to me by Snaggletooth :eek2:

Maybe next time Bo, get all the beta you can!

Sombeech
05-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Ya Justin, the hike in is going to be tough with the boat and gear on your back.

Oh, I know. That's why I want you guys to do it and take pictures. :lol8:

rick t
05-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Our plans are to drive up friday night, leave a vehicle at VC, continue to Chamberlain and camp. Get an early start saturday. You must hike the entire way to Deep Creek. No water in NF.

So far it's Mike Nad and myself. Let me know if you are interested?[/quote]

bo- i'm interested in joining you this weekend for the narrows. are you still a group of just 2? i have quite a bit of whitewater paddling experience and my own boat. have a friend who tried to talk me into this venture a couple years ago, and i was game but thought it was running a mite high- he ran it @1200 cfs! gotta watch that rain overnight. weather looking good this weekend, but with sunny heat, levels will rise. drop me a line at gone2moab at hotmail dot com.

rick t

Bo_Beck
05-12-2008, 07:10 PM

So far it's Mike Nad and myself. Let me know if you are interested?

bo- i'm interested in joining you this weekend for the narrows. are you still a group of just 2? i have quite a bit of whitewater paddling experience and my own boat. have a friend who tried to talk me into this venture a couple years ago, and i was game but thought it was running a mite high- he ran it @1200 cfs! gotta watch that rain overnight. weather looking good this weekend, but with sunny heat, levels will rise. drop me a line at gone2moab at hotmail dot com.

rick t[/quote]

So far it's a go! I got invited to run it today with Sam, but couldn't break loose. Looking at the forecast is very encourging!
http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/river/station/flowplot/flowplot.cgi?NFVU1

You are more than welcome to join us Rick! I haven't talked to Mikal since friday, but am pretty certain he and I will be doing it. He is a nurse at DRMC and gets off work at 7PM friday night. I need to run up to Springdale friday afternoon to get a couple Tomcats and then will probably meet him at the VC. We'll leave a vehicle there and drive up to Chamberlain Ranch, pack up the gear, get some sleep and then start hiking pretty early to catch good flow before it subsides in late afternoon. Give me a call at OO (435-628-3611). I'll be there tomorrow, but not wednesday as I am heading up to Zion to hike Spry. I'll be back to work for thursday and part of the day friday.

Bo

oldno7
05-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Awaiting the "epic" report--