PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Sighting in NE utah

Mtnman1830
03-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Wolf pack sighted in Utah for the first time in almost 80 years
March 19th, 2008 @ 5:00pm
John Hollenhorst reporting

For the first time in almost 80 years, there's a confirmed sighting of a wolf pack in Utah. Five wolves were spotted running in a remote corner of the state.

In recent years, lone wolves have been trapped in Utah twice, but this is the first confirmed pack to enter the state since the last Utah wolves were exterminated in 1930.

There's no concrete proof the wolf pack was here--no photos or video, unfortunately. But the experts saw and heard just enough to convince them the wolf pack really did make a historic crossing into Utah.

Wolves were wiped out in the lower 48 states early in the last century, exterminated to protect cows and sheep. But they're making a big comeback since their reintroduction in Yellowstone.

Since the mid-'90s, wolf packs have been spreading their range in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. Utah experts have long expected their return, and now it's apparently happened.

Three weeks ago, a pilot landing at Dutch John Airport spotted five big dogs. The pilot is a veteran hunter with experience spotting wolves from the air in Alaska.

"He said wolves," explained Kevin Bundle, with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR). "He was positive, 100 percent."

The pilot, Dave McDonnell, reported two blacks and three grays, which is an important clue. "Because coyotes don't have color phases like wolves do," Bundle said.

With such a credible sighting, experts flooded into northeastern Utah to confirm it. A few nights later, they found tracks in the snow from one or two wolves but couldn't get photos of the paw prints.

"We didn't find them until after dark, so we couldn't get photos because the flash just blinds you back; and it snowed overnight so we couldn't go back up the next day," Bundle explained.

But the clincher is what the searchers heard. They played a digital recording of a wolf and heard answering howls in the distance.

They're now officially listing it as a confirmed sighting, Utah's first pack since 1930. "Whether they're still there, we don't think so, or we think we would have picked them up by now," Bundle said.

They're still trying. For the last three weeks, they've been putting out roadkill carcasses of deer and elk, hoping the wolves will feed on them, so far, to no avail. The best guess is the pack went back to Wyoming, at least for now.

denaliguide
03-19-2008, 09:50 PM
not really surprising. and very cool. :2thumbs: i lived in alaska for nearly 20 years and only saw 4 packs in the wild. loved to hear them howl when i was out winter camping with my dog team or caribou hunting in the fall.

shagster
03-19-2008, 09:51 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all. It will be interesting to see if anything happens with this. I know I wouldn't want to run into a pack of wolves.

denaliguide
03-19-2008, 09:55 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all. It will be interesting to see if anything happens with this. I know I wouldn't want to run into a pack of wolves.

not to worry. from what i've been told theres never been a documented attack on humans.

packfish
03-20-2008, 08:19 AM
There is at least one documented attack- last year but it seems the wolves were drawn to the area over time by a garbage site . None the less not a nice way to go if there is one. My concern is not personal safety but safety for my live stock (pack goats). I will try and avoid encounters with them and I will try all avenues to deter them with out killing. If I do have to though I will eliminate the predator. These are by no means the first wolves to come in the last 5 to 6 years.

MY T PIMP
03-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Before we get all "giddy and happy" about wolves returning to Utah. Lets remind ourselves. That these are most likely the invasive foreign canadian gray wolf. An animal almost twice the size of the original wolf that inhabited the Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming wilderness which was also a solitary wolf and not known to be a pack animal. We all may easily dismiss this fact, to get the desired effect of enjoying wolves in Utah again, as was done in Yellowstone.
Put this into perspective replacing the original Rocky Mountain Wolf with Canadian Grays would be like replacing Mountain Lions with Siberian Tigers, rediculous as that statement may seem perportionally it is very true.

hank moon
03-20-2008, 09:40 AM
An animal almost twice the size of the original wolf that inhabited the Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming wilderness which was also a solitary wolf and not known to be a pack animal.

I've never heard of a "non-pack" wolf - can you give more info on this?

MY T PIMP
03-20-2008, 04:35 PM
An animal almost twice the size of the original wolf that inhabited the Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming wilderness which was also a solitary wolf and not known to be a pack animal.

I've never heard of a "non-pack" wolf - can you give more info on this?

Hav'nt you ever heard the names John Dunbar and the wolf "Two Socks."

denaliguide
03-20-2008, 04:45 PM
[quote="MY T PIMP"]Before we get all "giddy and happy" about wolves returning to Utah. Lets remind ourselves. That these are most likely the invasive foreign canadian gray wolf. [quote]

gotta watch out for those undocumented alien wolves. if they are canadian gray wolves, they are just filling a hole in the predator population left open by the killing off of the natural wolf population earlier in the century.

Sombeech
03-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Hav'nt you ever heard the names John Dunbar and the wolf "Two Socks."

He may have documented packs, but as I recall, part of his journal was used as toilet paper.

We may never know....

packfish
03-21-2008, 07:22 AM
]
gotta watch out for those undocumented alien wolves. if they are canadian gray wolves, they are just filling a hole in the predator population left open by the killing off of the natural wolf population earlier in the century.[/quote]

That theory would be fine if there weren't any humans in the equation but there is now. Wish everything could be like a century ago but it isn't and it won't. The wolves will have to be controlled.