PDA

View Full Version : WalMart Bikes - do they hold up? (video)

Sombeech
03-17-2008, 11:06 PM
This is a very important field test we conducted this weekend, we did it in the name of science, and consumer justice. We also did it because we were in desperate need of a "bike".

I, the loving brother, lent my bike to my brother so he could have some enjoyment on the Bear Claw Poppy trail in St George. I in turn, rode my wife's NEXT street cruiser bike.

The stance of it was actually quite comfortable, but that was the only good part. I could feel every bump on the trail, and I was sure the rims were going to be battered by the end. Well, why do I need to explain to you how bad these bikes are? I don't.

But anyways, I thought it would be funny to take it off a finger of death. That kickstand came down about 20 times throughout the course of the trail.

For those of you who can't get YouTube, I've got it on KSL Clips here:
http://clips.ksl.com/kickapps/_WalMart-Bikes-Can-they-handle-it/video/172338/5124.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSPpFfvDgzo

MtnJeret
03-18-2008, 07:20 AM
I was hoping for the bike to break in half. :haha:

accadacca
03-18-2008, 08:29 AM
"Trail Rated" :popcorn: :roflol:

greyhair biker
03-18-2008, 12:08 PM
You guys are BRAVE....or nuts :eek2: :roflol: :popcorn:

Sombeech
03-18-2008, 04:03 PM
We just went down with my family. That's my brother on the bike up front.

Kent K25
03-18-2008, 10:07 PM
"I'll try it again real quick" You're the man!

Thanks for the KSL link, BYU thinks youtube is of the devil apparently.

Sombeech
03-18-2008, 10:56 PM
oops, i linked up the wrong one to ksl. Fixed now.

accadacca
03-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the KSL link, BYU thinks youtube is of the devil apparently.
KSLTube :lol8:

MY T PIMP
03-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Hilarious! :2thumbs:

Sombeech
03-24-2008, 07:05 PM
For a while now I've wanted to take a walmart bike and see exactly how much it could handle.

But I held back a little this time, because my wife loves that bike. The brakes were squeaky when I brought it back and she was a little upset. It's lucky that's the only thing that happened.

recinutah
03-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Somebody needs to test a Walmart bike down P-rim and see how many pieces you end up with. My guess is 13 pieces. Anyone care to make a wager? I'd test one myself, but a) I don't have one, and b) I don't want to walk down 80% of the way carrying multiple pieces of scrap metal.

I don't have a Walmart bike to trash, but I do have a Walmart ILO piece of junk flat screen LCD HDTV that broke in 6 months (well beyond the manufacturer's short warrenty period) that I want to destroy. Maybe I should "ride" it off one of the fingers of death, or perhaps we could see if it makes a good sled before all the snow melts. Any ideas?

REDFOX
03-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Porcipine rim is too far of a walk after trashing a wal-mart bike :lol8: Green valley would be a good option.