PDA

View Full Version : Local Man Shoots Intruder

jumar
03-17-2008, 06:54 AM
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=2864560

Man shoots intruder
March 15th, 2008 @ 6:02pm
(KSL News) Police are commending a man who shot another man who broke into his apartment. It happened near 3800 South 700 West.

Police say the man was jolted out of bed when he heard his door being broken down by Daniel Larson. What Larson didn't know was that the man carried a concealed weapons permit and had a gun.

Gary Keller, with the South Salt Lake Police Department, said, "This is really a story of survival. He retrieved his loaded handgun and met the criminal, or the suspect, in the hallway. He fired one shot center mass and the suspect at that time turned and went over back into the living room."

The man tried to hold Larson while he called police, but Larson jumped out a window. He ran across the street and collapsed in a driveway, where he was caught.

Larson is being held at the hospital, awaiting possible charges.

asdf
03-17-2008, 07:02 AM
nice work. :2thumbs:

RugerShooter
03-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Just another reason to get a concealed weapons permit :assault:

DaveOU812
03-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Took my class on Saturday. I will be going to BCI on my next day off to subit the rest. :2thumbs:

Scott Card
03-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but you don't need a CCP to protect yourself in you own home from this sort of thing. The training is good but no permit needed to eliminate a deadly threat against your life or the life of others.

jumar
03-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but you don't need a CCP to protect yourself in you own home from this sort of thing. The training is good but no permit needed to eliminate a deadly threat against your life or the life of others.
That's right. Good training though, like you said. I'm going to give this place a try, for additional training:
http://www.strategictacticalgroup.com/
They're cheaper and closer than Front Sight, where I've received some training before.

stefan
03-17-2008, 09:56 AM
so how was this guy trying to get in? breaking the front (or side) door down?

Deathcricket
03-17-2008, 10:54 AM
This is wrong!!!

:roll:

Everyone knows you use a shotgun for home defense. 2 shots and that guy would not have been able to get away, collapse later, recover, and probably sue your ass. Handgun? Sheesh man, get it right.

jumar
03-17-2008, 11:07 AM
This is wrong!!!

Everyone knows you use a shotgun for home defense. 2 shots and that guy would not have been able to get away, collapse later, recover, and probably sue your ass. Handgun? Sheesh man, get it right.

I agree, except with kids I don't want a loaded shotgun next to my bed. I have a small safe with a finger pad to quickly get into it next to my bed where I keep my glock. That way my kid can't get to it, but I can if I need to. A 45 would be a lot better than just the 9mm that I believe this guy had. I only have a 9mm right now....I should upgrade.

trackrunner
03-17-2008, 11:08 AM
I like the Salt Lake Tribune's account of the events better. The guy broke in to their appartment and assaulted his girlfriend.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8590832

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2008/0316/20080316__ut_cops_sslattack_0316~1_Gallery.jpg

Couple fend off apartment intruder
By Russ Rizzo
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 03/16/2008 01:54:40 AM MDT

SOUTH SALT LAKE - After a man was shot and killed at his apartment complex last summer, Phillip Reinhardt bought a 9 mm handgun and began keeping it loaded under his bed.

The purchase paid off early Saturday. Reinhardt used the gun to stop an attack on his girlfriend inside their apartment, shooting the teenage intruder. The intruder kicked in the couple's deadbolted door around 5:45 a.m., rousing Patricia Knepper from bed in their ground-floor unit of Mountain Shadow Apartments, 3897 S. 700 West. The intruder grabbed Knepper and fondled her. Reinhardt then fired one shot from about five feet away, hitting the intruder.

The intruder tried to escape, but Knepper stood between him and the front door.

The intruder - whose erratic action convinced Knepper he was high on drugs - had other plans, breaking a window and jumping through.

The intruder's bizarre behavior continued after his hasty escape, Knepper said. He went up an exterior staircase in the complex and banged on a second-story apartment door and then fell over a railing. He tried to re-enter Knepper's apartment, she said.

The man, identified by police as 18-year-old Daniel Glen Larsen, was caught running near 3900 South.

He was taken to a nearby hospital to be treated for the gunshot wound and was expected to be booked into Salt Lake County jail today on suspicion of breaking and entering and assault, said Lt. Gary Keller, a South Salt Lake police spokesman.

Police await toxicology results to determine if Larsen was intoxicated.

It took hours for Knepper's hands to stop shaking after the attack, she said.

Knepper said she plans to move from the area after a string of violent crimes at the complex in recent months, including two shootings and a double-stabbing.
- Russ Rizzo

LOAH
03-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Good for Knepper, but if this had been someone who didn't have a CWP, my bet is that a big stink would be made over shooting the (unarmed?) intruder.

Whatever the case, I have a .357. That kid wouldn't have escaped after one round from that baby.

Iceaxe
03-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Everyone knows you use a shotgun for home defense.

Word!

JP
03-17-2008, 04:51 PM
so how was this guy trying to get in? breaking the front (or side) door down?
Through a door he was not welcomed to use :nod:

Wasatch
03-17-2008, 05:11 PM
This is a great story. Yes, a shotgun would be better for PD in the home, but a 9mm will also do the trick, put some Ranger SXT, or Hornady TAP FPD, or some Gold Dot Speer for ammo. Good shot placement is a must, go for 2 in the chest, 1 in the head, or 2 to the chest, 1 in the Pelvis area. Also, anyone in the state of Utah 21 years or older can open carry, but unloaded, which means 2 clicks away from firing, with a CCW you can carry fully loaded. I just finished the Advanced Pistol Class this weekend from STG, very nice class, will most likely go for it again, since you learn alot of awesome tactics, and I would like to retain them as much as possible. Once the bad guy crosses the threshold here in Utah, anything is up for grabs.

RedMan
03-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Jumar,

If you have 9mm get these.
Best combination of penetration for barriers and expansion for energy transfer.
http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php?pName=50rds-9mm-federal-le-tactical-hst-124gr-hp-ammo&cName=9mm-hollow-point-ammo

Good conversation here:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-ammunition-ballistics/39022-federal-tactical-hst-9mm-124-gr-p-real-life-shootings.html

Its large 9mm, 124Gr, its expansion is perfect so its impact is absorbed more likely to remain in the corpse, er intruder.
And you can take him through the door or drywall without losing the round.

And its a Federal which means its most certainly will not jam.

In the house I have a Mossy 500
http://personalsecurityzone.com/images/MS50278lg.jpg
Doubles as a bear swatter when I go fishing in Alaska.

JP
03-17-2008, 05:42 PM
No shotgun, too messy :haha:

jumar
03-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Jumar,

If you have 9mm get these.
Best combination of penetration for barriers and expansion for energy transfer.
http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php?pName=50rds-9mm-federal-le-tactical-hst-124gr-hp-ammo&cName=9mm-hollow-point-ammo

Good conversation here:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-ammunition-ballistics/39022-federal-tactical-hst-9mm-124-gr-p-real-life-shootings.html

Its large 9mm, 124Gr, its expansion is perfect so its impact is absorbed more likely to remain in the corpse, er intruder.

In the house I have a Mossy 500
http://personalsecurityzone.com/images/MS50278lg.jpg
Doubles as a bear swatter when I go fishing in Alaska.

Thanks for the links :2thumbs:

denaliguide
03-17-2008, 08:55 PM
gun control is using two hands , and don't shoot to wound.

trackrunner
03-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Good for Knepper, but if this had been someone who didn't have a CWP, my bet is that a big stink would be made over shooting the (unarmed?) intruder.
I disagree. First you don't need a CWP in your own house. He just happened to have one. In the news paper article it says the man was concerned about recent crime wave in his apartment complex and he slept with a loaded gun near by. Second the intruder was in the process of assaulting the renter's girlfriend before he shot him; even more just cause to shoot the intruder. Third the Salt Lake Trib article did not list that the renter had a CWP. The response on the public comment was in favor (100% last time I checked) of the victims, not the intruder.

LOAH
03-17-2008, 09:20 PM
I understand that, but I'm just saying that there have been big issues made out of just firing at somebody intruding let alone hitting one center mass.

I guess it depends on how the media wants to spin it, but it seems like usually a bigger controversy is created when the firearm is actually used.

If it were someone without a CWP, the assumption of responsibility is not made immediately and other assumptions are likely to occur.

Just my speculation. I guess it doesn't really matter since that's not the case.

The shooter was obviously controlling himself if he only capped him once. Good enough for me. :ne_nau:

shagster
03-17-2008, 10:19 PM

That's right keep shooting federal, that's the good stuff!! I love federal, I guess it helps that I get it at cost :haha: , but it is great ammo. :2thumbs:

trackrunner
03-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Here is the section of Utah Law that applies here. I assume there may be other code that would apply too.

76-2-405. Force in defense of habitation.

(1) A person is justified in using force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other's unlawful entry into or attack upon his habitation; however, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury only if:

(a) the entry is made or attempted in a violent and tumultuous manner, surreptitiously, or by stealth, and he reasonably believes that the entry is attempted or made for the purpose of assaulting or offering personal violence to any person, dwelling, or being in the habitation and he reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the assault or offer of personal violence; or

(b) he reasonably believes that the entry is made or attempted for the purpose of committing a felony in the habitation and that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.

(2) The person using force or deadly force in defense of habitation is presumed for the purpose of both civil and criminal cases to have acted reasonably and had a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or serious bodily injury if the entry or attempted entry is unlawful and is made or attempted by use of force, or in a violent and tumultuous manner, or surreptitiously or by stealth, or for the purpose of committing a felony.

Amended by Chapter 252, 1985 General Session
:rifle: :assault: :2gun: :2guns: :targetpractice:

Iceaxe
03-18-2008, 08:13 AM
No shotgun, too messy :haha:

Actually one reason the shotgun is preferred is that it doesn't penetrate through walls and other objects which could cause harm to innocence people.

Know your target and beyond.....

:rifle:

JP
03-18-2008, 09:48 AM
00 Buck at close range could get messy :nod:

Deathcricket
03-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Gonna have to replace the carpet and wash with bleach either way though. Blood is blood? I'm thinking to argue that even though it's probably a bigger mess, it's confined into one place, whereas a wounded criminal is gonna get blood all over the whole house (running around) eh?

*working on his Canadian accent* eh?

:lol8:

At least we're not arguing over how "wrong" it is to shoot another human being, even if they are trying to harm you. *high five* Where did those guys go anyways? They used to be pretty vocal around here.

greyhair biker
03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
If'n I didnt invite him in, he's an intruder...he's gonna get shot. Everyone in my family can shoot. Even my wife is getting to be a good shot (with her lil pink cricket) and she can shoot any of my guns. All of mine stay right by my bed within reach...and my .357 golden boy will hit anything its aimed at. My son keeps his near his bed too....yes, you heard me right, and he's a dead accurate shot. I pity the fool who even attempts entry in my house :popcorn:

Gutpiler_Utahn
03-18-2008, 01:48 PM
I went with a Winchester 1300 Defender for my home protection. I have practiced with it on cottontails (and yes, I eat them) and keep some 00 Buckshot for the ammo. I have a dummy round in the chamber, one in the tube, & 4 on the side, as you can see.

I don't have a safe for my guns yet, though it's on my to-do list. As it is, though, I take my kids around at least once a week and go over gun safety so my kids know that they don't ever touch daddy's guns without me there with them. Ignorance shouldn't be confused with safety.

ericchile
03-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Jumar,

What do you mean by losing the round? Will this round go through or stop with two sheets of dry wall?

RedMan
03-20-2008, 09:44 AM
It will go through.
It will lose its flight characteristics but if you need to frag the bad guy behind the wall it will do it. Its 124Gr for that reason.

Wont be much momentum left so use most of the clip. Save at least 2.
Just make sure you know where he is, don't spray and prey.

Anytime you pause shooting after several in a row he might think you are reloading and try to take advantage. Pay attention and never give him an opportunity.

But the Shotgun still works best.
I have two rounds of BB shot (47/oz) on two rounds of #4 buck (21/oz) on two rounds of 00 (8/oz). I figure if I get to 5 and 6 they are either a long ways off or I'm hunting through walls. The stock holds all 00 if I have to reload. If that happens its a movie.

I always use lead, fewer pellets, higher mass per pellet. We want energy transfer so mass is important.

RedMan
03-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Actually one reason the shotgun is preferred is that it doesn't penetrate through walls and other objects which could cause harm to innocence people.

It generally won't exit the exterior walls but almost any round will penetrate the interior.

00 will often leave the building, hopefully with bits of Elvis attached.