PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS software for Mac???

The Dude
03-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Anyone know if there is any software out there that can work on a Mac and with Garmin GPS handhelds? I have an etrex Legend and the software they currently have with it is OLD.

What about Google Earth Pro? Will that sync up maps to your GPS?

I'm so new to this whole GPS thing. I got one for my BD a year ago and I only basically know how to use it to pin-point where I'm going and how to get back. I don't know how to load maps, or pull them up, etc.

RedMan
03-16-2008, 10:10 PM
The only software that will download a map to your Garmin is Garmins Mapsource. I have MAC and run it under VMware fusion. Works fine.

Lots of other products will allow you to transfer waypoints, tracks, routes etc.

BUT only Mapsource will allow you to download an actual map.
Mapsource is only 1:100000 resolution except for some for the national park components which are sold separately.

Just because the Mapource version is a few years old does no make it bad. It based on Topography so the good news is that doesn't change much. In fact the improvements to Mapsource have been minimal enough it would not matter to me if it was 5 years old.

Since Mapsource resolution is not really good enough to do real trip planning I do that in Nat Geo TOPO!. Its all 1:24,000 aka 7.5 minute quads. That the best you can get.

I generally plot and plan and make waypoints and routes in TOPO!.
Then I download the map section I want in Mapsource to my GPS.
Then I download the waypoints and routes from TOPO to my GPS.
Then I print the maps I made with the waypoints, routes, notes on them on my large format printer and take it with me.

When I return I upload my Track logs to Mapsource. If you upload them to TOPO they lose most of the data, not all the waypoints are kept.
It still shows you where you have been but if you plan to share that track later its sort of a low res version.

This just means I have the best version of my actual track stored.
You can still import it into TOPO later.

The best way to learn your GPS is to use it, use it to go to the grocery, then use it to backtrack home. Mark Waypoint and then go find them later. Plot a route to work etc. Much better than trying it out on the trail.

Have fun!

accadacca
03-18-2008, 08:32 AM
I run parallels on my mac, so I just use MapSource stuff. :ne_nau:

tmartenst
07-16-2008, 06:34 PM
I have a Garmin Etrex Venture Cx and I only have Google Earth Pro. it works great but not sure about long term saving possibilities.

Tom

RugerShooter
07-16-2008, 08:28 PM
I would go to Garmin's website and update the firmware, Garmin is always updating it. You can also update to the latest version of MapSource by clicking on Help then check for software updates (on the MapSource menu.) The current version is 6.13.7

RugerShooter
07-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Also here is a link to some free topo maps for PC or Mac
Free Topo Maps (http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_uttopo.html)

tmartenst
07-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks Davis. Is it just me or does the link that you posted link back to this same thread.

Tom

RugerShooter
07-18-2008, 10:26 AM
FIXED LINK (http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_uttopo.html)