PDA

View Full Version : Olympus 1030 SW

Alex
03-10-2008, 08:20 AM
I just saw this:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1363&fl=4

It comes with 28-102 mm lens, it's wider than other waterproof cameras. What do the pros say about it?

JP
03-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm no pro, but I have had and still do use Olympus cameras. In general, they're good, stout cameras with clean crisp pics and pretty user friendly. With each model, I can find flaws that seem to be more of a nuisance, but with constant use it becomes second nature. I'll continue to use the Olympus as my number one choice in point and shoot cameras, it's hard to switch from something that has treated you so well for so long.
The Olympus cameras I have owned over the years.
C-4000
E-20
Stylus
SP-350
SP-560
I know I'm forgetting one :mrgreen:

CarpeyBiggs
03-10-2008, 01:45 PM
:2thumbs: 'Bout damn time!

Thanks for the heads up.

gonzo
03-10-2008, 02:01 PM
I haven't looked at that particular camera, but I remember giving it's previous model serious consideration. But, in the end I decided not to buy it because the control buttons are so small that they can't be used while wearing gloves.

Honestly, what's the point of freeze-proof camera that you can't use in cold weather? I'd imagine you would have the same problem using that camera underwater if you're diving with neoprene gloves.

I fully realize I'm nitpicking here, but it seems like if Olympus had done some some focus groups with their target audiences problems like this could have been corrected.

Alex
03-10-2008, 02:05 PM
I think the idea is you preset all the stuff and just push the shutter button when you need to capture something.

JP
03-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Yes, they have mode settings that you can pick.

PhotoHound
04-20-2008, 11:39 AM
I HAD a 770SW (7MP version), which I liked quite a bit, but unfortunately it ended up leaving with my ex-wife... :doh:

They are pretty darn tuff little suckers; I swear she had dropped the thing a couple hundred times... :whoops:

Yep, it took one heck of a beating from her (so did I :bash: ) and handled it fine (better than I did! :gap:).

It had a pretty cool setting where you could take shots at something like 5 frames per second, for as long as you had space on your mem card. Killer :2thumbs:

Only thing about the new version, I think I saw in the specs that it still only shoots 30 second movie clips...not horrible as it's not a camcorder, but still a silly cap. I think they probably do that purposely so they don't cut into their camcorder sales... :deal:

Anyway, it's a pretty awesome gadget. Nothing else on the market even comes close. I'll probably get one as a replacement sometime in the near future. No chick is going to get her mits on it this time though! :blxsuspicious:

:wink:

tanya
04-20-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm no pro, but I have had and still do use Olympus cameras. In general, they're good, stout cameras with clean crisp pics and pretty user friendly. With each model, I can find flaws that seem to be more of a nuisance, but with constant use it becomes second nature. I'll continue to use the Olympus as my number one choice in point and shoot cameras, it's hard to switch from something that has treated you so well for so long.
The Olympus cameras I have owned over the years.
C-4000
E-20
Stylus
SP-350
SP-560
I know I'm forgetting one :mrgreen:

Same here! My first was the manual Olympus OM1 .. it's an antique but I still have it!

Thanks Alex!! --- I have been wanting to get a small camera to drag through canyons sometimes instead of taking my huge one.

So it this the best one for that these days?