PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY!

LOAH
03-08-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm happy to say that I have finally shrugged an old "curse"!

I'm sure plenty of you know the Murdock Diversion Dam in Provo Canyon, right? It's that first retention pond next to a couple of parks just inside the canyon.

I've fished that place over and over and over, but have never had so much as a nibble there. I've caught plenty of fish below it and some above, but never in that pond.

Well, today was this dog's day and I managed to miss a couple of good bites and then connect on a couple.

First one came from my Lucky Craft lure (that cost me $15) and as I was getting that one off, I scored one on my other rod with a night crawler!

The one on the crawler was a bit bigger at 17 inches and the one on the Lucky Craft was about 14.

I hadn't planned on keeping any today, but the lure did some damage to the smaller one and the bigger one swallowed the worm pretty deep.

Aw well. I'll just have to eat them tonight so I can keep a big bow from Yuba tomorrow. :twisted: I hope I can get into some trout at Yuba.

Here's a pic of today's catch (dinner):

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii272/justisaurusbucket/IMGP1403.jpg

accadacca
03-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Congrats! I usually go back to a good ole worm after all my expensive lures fail. :lol8:

waltny
03-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Nice markings on those browns, I try my best not to injury browns as I just cant bring myself to keep one. If I know someone back home wants fish I got no issues with keeping a bow or cut, but I got some hang up with browns. How does the brown taste in relation to a bow or cut? Im talking about "native" ones or non stocked ones for lacke of a better term.

LOAH
03-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Wild browns are mostly what you end up catching anyway. The DWR doesn't stock them in very many places because they're so prolific. I don't think I've ever seen a brown with its fins rubbed off. Ragged from spawning, but not hatchery.

Browns taste fine. Kind of closer to what a tiger trout taste like. If you haven't tasted a tiger, then I don't really know how to explain the taste. Much milder than a rainbow (although I'd rather eat a bow any day) and less fishy. It doesn't really "flake" apart like some fish, but it separates nicely.

I don't feel bad at all keeping any browns. Most places could use a little harvest more often. I intended on releasing those since I was going to Yuba the next day, but the ways they were hooked talked me into keeping them.

I'd rather they feed me over some seagulls and raccoons. Give'em a try.

waltny
03-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I was more talking about the natural reproduced or native cuts and bows and how they taste in relation to the stocked ones and then how different they are to the brown. Ive been a C&R exclusive guy for a while but Ive been intrigued a bit lately to give fish another try.

Id also love to some high unita lakes and try some brookies over a campfirer also, and then that leads into the taste of splake and tigers...