PDA

View Full Version : Black & White Infrared

Redpb
03-06-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm getting back into photography (it has been a while), and came across some b&w infrared pictures on the net. I think these have amazing depth to them.

Have any of you shot this type? Any tips for getting started? etc...?

CarpeyBiggs
03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
True infrared requires special modifications to typical digital cameras. Normal digital cameras have a glass filter in front of the sensor to eliminate infrared signals. This has to be replaced with another piece of glass. Modifications start at around $350 or $400 a camera.

But you are right, infrared does look very cool! I've been tempted to mod one of my cameras before. Some day, I suppose.

Redpb
03-06-2008, 02:36 PM
cripes! that's out, at least for a while anyway.

JP
03-07-2008, 11:08 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/SDIM2312a.jpg

waltny
03-08-2008, 03:59 PM
True infrared requires special modifications to typical digital cameras. Normal digital cameras have a glass filter in front of the sensor to eliminate infrared signals. This has to be replaced with another piece of glass. Modifications start at around $350 or $400 a camera.

But you are right, infrared does look very cool! I've been tempted to mod one of my cameras before. Some day, I suppose.

Or as Im fond of saying, there is NOTHING(save severe out of focus) that photoshop in post processing and the wide array of filters cant do....There are many filters suites out there that can do this effect that can be found in various places for various prices or lack thereof.

JP
03-08-2008, 05:01 PM
that photoshop in post processing and the wide array of filters cant do....
No filters in that pic :mrgreen:

waltny
03-08-2008, 06:24 PM
that photoshop in post processing and the wide array of filters cant do....
No filters in that pic :mrgreen:

This is an in camera infared rendering? I played with a few photos in nik efex 2.0, tiffen dso, flaming pear and auto fx that have infared b&w and color that didnt look anything like this one. To my eye it appears to just have a magenta or pink filter....

Ill post a few here in a min.

JP
03-08-2008, 09:28 PM
This is an in camera infared rendering?
No, that shot is from the Sigma SD14 without the dust protector in place. I broke it and I'm getting a new one shortly. The dust protector isn't a clear piece of glass like one might think, it's tinted. Without it, that's what I get :haha:

CarpeyBiggs
03-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Or as Im fond of saying, there is NOTHING(save severe out of focus) that photoshop in post processing and the wide array of filters cant do....There are many filters suites out there that can do this effect that can be found in various places for various prices or lack thereof.
And I will kindly correct you by saying you're wrong... :haha:

True infrared is not reproducible in photoshop. You can mimic it, kind of. But it still does not look like true infrared.

waltny
03-10-2008, 08:10 PM

True infrared is not reproducible in photoshop. You can mimic it, kind of. But it still does not look like true infrared.

Do know of a website where I can find some true infrared? Im curious to see how close some of the photoshop filters come and I know it wont be a true test as its not the same photo under the same conditions.

JP
03-11-2008, 06:04 AM
How about IR Yellowstone :mrgreen:

IR YELLOWSTONE (http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/image_galleries/ir_yellowstone/gallery.html)

waltny
03-11-2008, 04:12 PM
How about IR Yellowstone :mrgreen:

IR YELLOWSTONE (http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/image_galleries/ir_yellowstone/gallery.html)

These are actually taken with a real infrared camera that measure heat. IM not sure this is the same thing Dan and the OP are talking about(sounds like a mod to a digital camera). Im going do a bit of research and Ill hopefully get around to posting the infrared b&w's I did with some filters.

waltny
03-11-2008, 04:17 PM

Here is a website of a guy that claims to get great results with a IR filter and photoshop.

http://www.nature-photography-central.com/black_and_white_digital_infrared.html

I didnt see any of his work but he did talk about finally sending off his D70 to be modded for dedicated IR. Sounds interesting...

waltny
03-11-2008, 04:48 PM
I was just playing around with my camera and took a pic of the tv remote and it did indeed pick up the infrared. I might look for the on lens filter and play around and see what I can do....

CarpeyBiggs
03-11-2008, 06:22 PM
I was just playing around with my camera and took a pic of the tv remote and it did indeed pick up the infrared. I might look for the on lens filter and play around and see what I can do....

Some cameras do better with IR filters than others. Usually though, the piece of glass above the sensor blocks IR almost perfectly, so if you use an IR filter on front, your exposure times get all jacked up, because it is fooling the cameras exposure meter. That's why the true mod works best.

I didn't look for any websites, don't know any off the top of my head. Sorry.

R
03-12-2008, 08:42 AM
I might be stating the obvious here, but all infrared renderings are "false value" or "false color" because, since the human eye can't see infrared light either in nature or in photographs, the infrared values have to be converted into visible ones. Even infrared devices like FLIR convert spectral information from below the visible end into visible light.

I say that to say this: if Photoshop mimics infrared in a pleasing way and matches your photographic goals, rock on. But Carpey is right that visible light photos manipulated to look like infrared are not the same as true sub-750nm imaging.