PDA

View Full Version : Beta Ideas for Canyonlands Area

trackrunner
03-05-2008, 09:02 PM
A friend wants to come up from New Mexico during the middle of this month for a week (college spring break) and wants me to show him around. Anything hiking, backpacking for an overnighter would do. He really wants to spend some time in Canyonlands NP but a couple days in Arches, Moab, or other areas would be OK. Really don't know the area that well. Does anyone have some suggestions? Must go to places etc? I imagine that it will start to get busy again so places to avoid helpful too. Probably will not be canyoneering or 4X4 on this trip, maybe again in the future if he wants to come back again.

thanks in advance

slickrocker
03-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Forget BPing in the Needles, backcountry sites during spring break are filled months in advance. The Easter Jeep Safari starts on the 15th so avoiding 4x4 trails is a good idea.
A BP at I-Sky is more feasable. Maybe the Taylor Cyn Loop, or any of the trails that descend the mesa, spend a night and head back up.
Do the usual hikes at Arches if you've never been there, Delicate Arch, Devils Garden, Fiery Furnace, etc.

trackrunner
03-07-2008, 11:45 AM
bump for attention

Iceaxe
03-07-2008, 12:27 PM
bump for attention

Attention whore :haha:

About one hour south of Moab is Cedar Mesa. If your pal is coming from New Mexico that might be the hot ticket. :2thumbs:

If that interests you at all I bet we can give you lots of good day trip and backpack ideas.

http://climb-utah.com/CM/Files/moonhouse8.jpg

http://climb-utah.com/CM/Files/tower6.jpg

erial
03-09-2008, 08:52 PM
The Needles District in Canyonlands offers opportunity for loop dayhikes. You'd want to try to include visits to Druid Arch and the Joint Trail on one hike. Perhaps a trek out to the Peekaboo Trail via the Salt Creek Rd trailhead and include a same day visit to Paul Bunyans Pottys if you're feeling strong.

If you have two vehicles, you could spot one at Squaw Flat and another at Salt Creek or Elephant Hill and plan hikes that would require less doubling back. If you don't already have maps or guides, the ranger station will supply you with a map of the Needles trails.

If the Squaw Flat campground is full or not to your liking, you might consider the Needles Outpost just before the park entrance. Or a couple miles before you get to the entrance, turn right on a well maintained dirt road. Roadside campspots should appear on the left in less than a half mile. The bit about the roadside camp is based on a 2002 trip. Someone else might have more recent experience.

As for Moab, you'll want to consider the short hikes to Corona and Jeep Arches off of Potash Road (Rt 279?). On the other side of the river you could do a long but amazing hike up and out Hunter Canyon and over to and back down Pritchett Canyon visiting at least a half dozen arches on the way.

Another option would be to drive south out of Moab on 191 until you get to the Behind the Rocks jeep road. You can do a loop hike there that will also take you to several arches.

And you could also take 313 towards Dead Horse Point, but hang a left onto Gemini Bridges rd and drive/hike to the bridges. I believe Four Arch Canyon is also in that same area. You'd want to pick up a guide book or more detailed instructions to visit these areas.

Iceaxe
03-10-2008, 08:08 AM
A friend wants to come up from New Mexico during the middle of this month for a week (college spring break)

FYI: The Moab Jeep Saferi runs March 15 - 23, 2008. Moab and the surrounding area's are packed solid during that period.

Plan accordingly.

:cool2:

trackrunner
03-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the help all.

erial
03-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Oops. I missed the mention about the jeep fest. Hiking in Needles would still be okay as those trails are for foot trail only, but you'd be competing with the jeeps in the Moab area except within Arches.

Shane's idea about visiting Cedar Mesa makes good sense. Consider A Hiking Guide to Cedar Mesa by Peter Francis Tassoni as a resource. Shane's website as well.

Glockguy
03-13-2008, 02:20 PM
I just got back from that area. I really enjoyed hiking Horseshoe Canyon. It is an easy 4ish hour hike with great views. You can also spot rock art and find remnants of the ancient people that lived there, including arrowheads and pottery.

Towards the end of the hike is the "Great Gallery: which is a very large panel of what some think is the greatest exhibition of rock art in the world.