PDA

View Full Version : Beta Now: Bogley Hike to Lady Mountain and Bridge Mountain

tanya
03-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Found a site .. not sure if it's new, but I never seen it before.
http://www.utaharches.com/ZNP.to

Crawford Arch (Bridge Mountain Arch) is a spectacular free standing, natural arc arch that is 3 feet wide, 156 feet long and spans a distance of 120 feet

I need to verify that this info is correct for our next magazine article. Does anyone have books or anything with information. I found this somewhere, but don't remember now except it was a reference of a reference of some old book.

tanya
03-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Hmmm.... it calls Jug Handle Arch ... twin butte arch..

The park calls it Jug Handle - wonder why the different name?

Actually thinking about it.. since the park cannot name anything... they probably are just saying that the type of Arch is a Jug Handle Arch -- oh well... that is what I have always heard it called and think I will stick with it.

Rented mule
03-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Is this the arch located across from the "old" visitor's center at Zion?
If so, there is a picture in Zion with a woman standing on the span and info beneath it. What did the park do with that photo? Is it in the museum? Also, a plaque stands outside the museum/old visitor center showing the arch off in the mountain. I believe the stats are on that plaque. Wrong arch? Hope to help, RM

trackrunner
03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
the link did not work for me, so I went to http://www.utaharches.com/ZNP.php and it has bridge mountain arch listed and none of the other names mentioned. I believe the correct name is bridge mountain arch, but could not find anythinga about it at ZNP website.

edit: znp has it as crawford arch, but yeah Bridge Mountain arch also heard. Sorry no specs given maybe call the park and see if they'll give you some :ne_nau:
http://www.nps.gov/zion/images/HistoricCrawfordArch.jpg

tanya
03-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Yes, it's called both Bridge Mountain Arch and Crawford Arch.... I think I will see if Bo will ask them. I would hate to put the wrong info in the article and I don't want to cut that part either.

Thanks Guys :nod:

trackrunner
03-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Hey Tanya how hard of the hike/climb is it to Bridge Mountain? I've wanted to do it after reading your trail description and Joe's. Would a competent rock climber/cannoned (like myself, I'm not a pro or expert, or know it all) be able to make it fine? Saw your pictures and there looks like there are some very steep exposed sections.

erial
03-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Found a site .. not sure if it's new, but I never seen it before.
http://www.utaharches.com/ZNP.to

Crawford Arch (Bridge Mountain Arch) is a spectacular free standing, natural arc arch that is 3 feet wide, 156 feet long and spans a distance of 120 feet

I need to verify that this info is correct for our next magazine article. Does anyone have books or anything with information. I found this somewhere, but don't remember now except it was a reference of a reference of some old book.

From the NABS site:

Zion National Park has about half a dozen other natural arches. The most interesting of them is Bridge Mountain Arch, a highly unique piece of rock that is only 3 feet thick and 156 feet long, but since the rock is at a considerable angle, it only spans a distance of 120 feet (these figures come from Volume 8 of Robert H. Vreeland's Nature's Bridges and Arches, now out of print). Bridge Mountain Arch can be seen with binoculars from the Visitors Center, but actually reaching the arch requires a strenuous cross-country hike and some technical climbing skills. Details of the route can be found in the Zion Natural History Association book Exploring the Backcountry of Zion National Park.

In Canyon Country Arches & Bridges, F.A. Barnes cites an article that appeared in the 10-2-1983 SLC Deseret News Magazine that discussed the measuring of Kolob Arch by a research team led by BYU prof Reed Blake. The Blake team also measured other major Utah arches and Barnes extracts that info within a chart listing "Natural Arch Zion National Park 156 [span in feet]" that i would infer applies to Bridge Mtn Arch.

Thanks!!!!

But 120 feet or 156 feet is now the question. Anyone want to run up there and meaure if for me. :mrgreen:

I wonder if that is the article that talked about the remeasure of Kolob Arch in Zion that made it 2nd longest arch in the world instead of longest due to their method of measurement? I read that article too somewhere... a couple of years ago... bet its no longer online though since it was a news article.. but you know I do try and post all Zion articles to the Zion yahoo group so I always have them!.. Will look!

That's where I found it! Bo is checking with Zion today to make sure it's accurate but it should be if on that site! You are awesome Jeff!

PS.. that new photo of you do not do you justice! I like mine of you much better. :nod:

tanya
03-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Hey Tanya how hard of the hike/climb is it to Bridge Mountain? I've wanted to do it after reading your trail description and Joe's. Would a competent rock climber/cannoned (like myself, I'm not a pro or expert, or know it all) be able to make it fine? Saw your pictures and there looks like there are some very steep exposed sections.

This is the one we are writing up for the magazine right now. There is only one climbing section, a chimney. Its a breeze compared to South Canyon we just did... but for Zion it's a pretty tough one because you go up then down and up and down, etc... I would think that ny competent rock climber would have no trouble at all though. May is the best time to go!

Climbing section - Chimney - This is the only climbing section

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/chimney-e_jpg.jpg

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/chimney-d_jpg.jpg

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/chimney-aa_jpg.jpg

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/chimney-b_jpg.jpg

erial
03-06-2008, 11:34 AM
PS.. that new photo of you do not do you justice! I like mine of you much better. :nod:

new photo. old me. I'll be looking for a rejuvenating hike the weekend of April 5th although preferably not 50 miles. Will stop by the OO on the 2nd in search of a pair of size 11 exum ridges.

tanya
03-06-2008, 11:37 AM

new photo. old me. I'll be looking for a rejuvenating hike the weekend of April 5th although preferably not 50 miles. Will stop by the OO on the 2nd in search of a pair of size 11 exum ridges.

I am going to try the 50 mile one this year! What do you have in mind for the April 5th trip?

erial
03-06-2008, 02:28 PM

I am going to try the 50 mile one this year! What do you have in mind for the April 5th trip?

Uh, clear skies, light winds, maybe 67 degrees F. How about Castle Rock over by the Cottonwood Wash Rd. I believe it was Bruce from Bryce who mentioned trying to find a route up there. Maybe we could all meet and have a go at it.

Bo_Beck
03-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Not sure if the info I was given is accurate

Felicia
03-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks Tanya - great pictures of Bo! :nod:

tanya
03-06-2008, 08:22 PM

Uh, clear skies, light winds, maybe 67 degrees F. How about Castle Rock over by the Cottonwood Wash Rd. I believe it was Bruce from Bryce who mentioned trying to find a route up there. Maybe we could all meet and have a go at it.

That works for me unless that is the day the group chooses to do their Bogley Canyon Trip. I am going to actually show up for that this year. If it's that date you should do it too!

tanya
03-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Tom didn't know what type of arch Hepworth was and also didn't know the span of "Crawford Arch". He gave me the name of Mike Large who works at the Natural History Museum. I called and talked to him and he is an arch "buff". He hasn't been to Crawford or Hepworth, but knew that the span of "Crawford" is 168'. He also listed Hepworth as a freestanding Occluded Arch as per my description. He also gave me this website for "geonames".

http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/index.html

The National Park cannot give names to any features that have been listed already on a USGS 7.5' Map. I querried Bridge Mountain Arch, and Crawford Arch and the USGS hasn't given the arch a name nor listed it on a map. In other words the arch could be called anything we wanted to call it. People used to call it Bridge Mountain Arch, but more recently it has been referred to as Crawford Arch. I don't know the history of the name, nor did Mike Large or Tom Haraden? The Park however now refers to the name "Crawford Arch" because it seems to be what is most commonly stated. In a nutshell...it should be referred to as Crawford Arch.

Also...Crawford Arch is as wide as 6' in places and as thick as 3' in places as I reviewed my photos and used a bit of logical deduction to come up with some figures.

Wonderful Info Bo! :rockon:

tanya
03-06-2008, 08:24 PM

Thanks! Bo does make a good subject for hiking shots!

erial
03-07-2008, 06:37 AM
That works for me unless that is the day the group chooses to do their Bogley Canyon Trip. I am going to actually show up for that this year. If it's that date you should do it too![/color]

Bogley Canyon Trip? Is that what's being discussed in the nOObfest thread?

tanya
03-07-2008, 07:22 AM
Yep... I assume Shane is the one that will make the date, place and time ... being our fearless canyon leader here at Bogley....

My fingers are crossed for the GSENM :five:

Win
03-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Bo looks right at home!

Here's a shot I took of Crawford Arch from the Museum parking lot.

Win

http://www.fototime.com/7CCD4EEE0D0E751/standard.jpg

tanya
03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
You can get a little bit closer from the Parus Trail. We should do Bridge Mountain as a Bogley Trip. It's a cool hike! It has a small window though.. like May only.

I think there is even some route that does not involve doing the chimney, but not sure. Bo would know. Some guy was telling him something one time when we were up there but I ran off taking photos and did not listen -- as usual. :mrgreen:

trackrunner
03-07-2008, 11:43 AM
You can get a little bit closer from the Parus Trail. We should do Bridge Mountain as a Bogley Trip. It's a cool hike! It has a small window though.. like May only.

I think there is even some route that does not involve doing the chimney, but not sure. Bo would know. Some guy was telling him something one time when we were up there but I ran off taking photos and did not listen -- as usual. :mrgreen:
I'm game, I've wanted to do this hike, along with lady mountain. Plus got to do the chimney (it wouldn't be fun if we skipped it), we can skip it on the way back.

oldno7
03-07-2008, 12:27 PM
hmmm--bridge arch :nod:

tanya
03-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Been there? It's a great hike! --- long, hard day but still time at the end for the Bit n' Spur :haha:

tanya
03-07-2008, 12:58 PM

I'm game, I've wanted to do this hike, along with lady mountain. Plus got to do the chimney (it wouldn't be fun if we skipped it), we can skip it on the way back.

Lady Mountain is another great one! I would actually rather do this one since I need to redo the album. This was the first hike I ever did with Bo... 4 years ago! My photos have got much better since then.

trackrunner
03-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Lady Mountain is another great one! I would actually rather do this one since I need to redo the album. This was the first hike I ever did with Bo... 4 years ago! My photos have got much better since then.
:2thumbs: Sweet you've picked the other hike I've wanted to do too. I want to hike/climb both. Can I come out and play.
http://www.marcymtnmastiffs.com/images/Legend_-_Can_I_Come_Out_and_Play.jpg

Bo_Beck
03-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Tanyas pictures are great, but it will be nice when she gets some of the new blood involved as her subject. :nod:

Bo_Beck
03-07-2008, 05:27 PM
new photo. old me. I'll be looking for a rejuvenating hike the weekend of April 5th although preferably not 50 miles. Will stop by the OO on the 2nd in search of a pair of size 11 exum ridges.[/quote]

44.5 or 45? Let me know and I'll be sure to have a pair for you.

Bo_Beck
03-08-2008, 08:36 AM

Just got in a shipment of the Exum Ridges, Let me know the size Jeff and I'll pull a pair for you! :2thumbs:

oldno7
03-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Been there? It's a great hike! --- long, hard day but still time at the end for the Bit n' Spur :haha:

haven't been there, on the "list"

tanya
03-08-2008, 09:30 AM
[ :2thumbs: Sweet you've picked the other hike I've wanted to do too. I want to hike/climb both. Can I come out and play.

As long as your significant other lets you ... of course you can come!

tanya
03-08-2008, 09:31 AM

You and your wife will have to come then! :2thumbs:

erial
03-08-2008, 01:54 PM
[quote="Bo_Beck
Just got in a shipment of the Exum Ridges, Let me know the size Jeff and I'll pull a pair for you! :2thumbs:[/quote]

Bo, size 45, please.

thanks, jeff

oldno7
03-08-2008, 05:41 PM

You and your wife will have to come then! :2thumbs:

we would love to.

tanya
03-08-2008, 08:44 PM
:2thumbs: Awesome!

Bo_Beck
03-09-2008, 06:05 AM
[quote="Bo_Beck
Just got in a shipment of the Exum Ridges, Let me know the size Jeff and I'll pull a pair for you! :2thumbs:

Bo, size 45, please.

thanks, jeff[/quote]

Done deal. Will pull them monday morning and have them on the hold shelf.

tanya
03-09-2008, 06:37 AM
So... Bo.. Are you going to lead us!

Bo_Beck
03-09-2008, 07:12 AM

I would love to take part if you-all decide to do your hike on a day that I can take off! :2thumbs: Otherwise I may just have to call in sick....but, but, but they won't believe me because I don't call in sick....ever! :haha:

erial
03-09-2008, 07:56 AM

I would love to take part if you-all decide to do your hike on a day that I can take off! :2thumbs: Otherwise I may just have to call in sick....but, but, but they won't believe me because I don't call in sick....ever! :haha:

How about the religious holiday gambit: As archbishop you must lead your flock up Bridge Mtn for annual pilgrimmage to the spiritual span of Crawford.

Bo_Beck
03-09-2008, 03:47 PM
How about the religious holiday gambit: As archbishop you must lead your flock up Bridge Mtn for annual pilgrimmage to the spiritual span of Crawford.[/quote]

Really? :afro: Are you sure you've got the right person? SOMBEECH! Help!

I really look forward to a group hike to the arch.

Damnit, don't forget a tape measure; we've got to get it right. :haha:

trackrunner
03-10-2008, 01:52 PM
What the hike is on now. :2thumbs: When is this I want in :popcorn: I will be there for sure.

Bo_Beck
03-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Hey Jeff...Keep me posted if you work Castle Rock in somewhere. I've looked at this. I have a friend that has hiked to the top and gave me some descriptive advise. I would love to join you if it works into your busy schedule.

tanya
03-10-2008, 09:14 PM
What the hike is on now. :2thumbs: When is this I want in :popcorn: I will be there for sure.

Whenever someone that climbs and wants to lead us can go. :mrgreen:

Bo_Beck
03-11-2008, 07:15 AM

Offer still stands. You just need to come up with a date I believe?

tanya
03-11-2008, 08:48 AM

Probably want to do a weekend in May and a 2 day thing for these guys that drive from the SLC area - one day Bridge Mtn and the next Lady Mountain. I would say to pick a good weather day as the time gets closer.

erial
03-11-2008, 11:16 AM

Hey Jeff...Keep me posted if you work Castle Rock in somewhere. I've looked at this. I have a friend that has hiked to the top and gave me some descriptive advise. I would love to join you if it works into your busy schedule.

Bo, I don't have a set schedule. Plan on arriving in the Zion area the afternoon of 4/2 and beginning with the next day hope to reel off six straight days of day hiking. I was just hoping to tag along if you and Tanya had one of your adventurous forays planned for Saturday, the 5th, or Sunday the 6th.

About the only thing I can say for certain is that if the Tarheels are in the Final, I'll have to be in front of a tv on the night of the 7th.

Bo_Beck
03-16-2008, 06:49 PM

Probably want to do a weekend in May and a 2 day thing for these guys that drive from the SLC area - one day Bridge Mtn and the next Lady Mountain. I would say to pick a good weather day as the time gets closer.

Sounds like a good plan to me! I guess when the time gets nearer we can plan it out in more detail.

Bo_Beck
03-16-2008, 06:54 PM

Bo, I don't have a set schedule. Plan on arriving in the Zion area the afternoon of 4/2 and beginning with the next day hope to reel off six straight days of day hiking. I was just hoping to tag along if you and Tanya had one of your adventurous forays planned for Saturday, the 5th, or Sunday the 6th.

About the only thing I can say for certain is that if the Tarheels are in the Final, I'll have to be in front of a tv on the night of the 7th.

I'll look at my schedule and see what is happening on 4-2 and beyond. Generally Tanya and I don't plan our hikes until a day or two before the day! :haha: We look at weather and other factors and then make a decision. Hope we don't get the same weather we had today! It was snowing very hard in Zion today! :ne_nau:

tanya
03-17-2008, 09:22 AM

I'll look at my schedule and see what is happening on 4-2 and beyond. Generally Tanya and I don't plan our hikes until a day or two before the day! :haha: We look at weather and other factors and then make a decision. Hope we don't get the same weather we had today! It was snowing very hard in Zion today! :ne_nau:

This is too early for Bridge Mountain right? How about Lady Mountain?

trackrunner
03-17-2008, 10:13 AM
It can't be the weekend of commencement, May 3. I walk and get my diploma that weekend.

erial
03-17-2008, 06:12 PM

This is too early for Bridge Mountain right? How about Lady Mountain?

I'll stop by the store on the 2nd and pick up the shoes. Maybe grab up a mess of sunny days if you happen to have them on special. And nail down possible hiking plans.

No snow here. Bagpipes and blue skies.