PDA

View Full Version : fee-diculous

erial
03-03-2008, 02:45 PM
"If $25 entrance fees to national parks or $5 canyon permits seem onerous, check out the upcoming fee for the nyc marathon:

"marathonguide.com reported the "Holy Cow" entry fee for the 2008 New York City Marathon would be $166 (USA) and $221 (International) plus an $11 processing fee. WOW!

But wait there's more. Here's a list of additional fees you'll probably pay in 2008:

1. Besides the entry fee, you'll pay a "per-completed-mile" fee- estimated to be $1.oo per mile.

2. Each aid station along the route will have a self service kiosk where you'll pay for each drink, GU packet, and orange slice you consume. All of this will be linked to your timing chip and credit card. CHA_CHING!!!!

3. The City "may" charge each runner a "road usage" fee.

4. Finally, want to use the Port-a-Potty? You'll need to purchase a $25 "bathroom access key" during the registration process (they'll mail it to you). Just swipe the key on the door when you need to go. Who knew the Port-a-Potty industry was so innovative?

Now all these nickel-and-dime-you-to-death charges are likely to cause some backlash in the running community. I predict a whole new breed of renegade runners groups will sprout up in rebellion to find ways to thwart the evils of these "Runner Technologies"- should we name our group now?

I could go on but don't want to scare you too bad.

Happy running,

Marc"

The above was copied from a recent atomictime blogspot. I think the nickel and dime charges are tongue in cheek inventions of the author. At least I think they are.