PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report White Rim BP

slickrocker
03-03-2008, 02:35 PM
We had some pretty nice weather move in for a few days last week so I thought I ought to do a shakedown walk to try out some new gear-a pack, stove, some clothes, etc. I went down the snow covered Shafer Trail, spent two nights along the White Rim and came out at the Lathrop Trail with a two mile hike along the park road back to my car. About 28 miles total, including some short side hikes. The Rangers said I was the first backcountry permit issued at I-Sky this year so I didn't figure on seeing anybody else, but as it turned out, a pair of mtn. bikers came down Shafer the 2nd day out and were doing the entire rim in a 3 day trip. No matter, I had a great time, temps were about 50ish during the day and just above freezing at night. Water was everywhere, potholes, runoff ponds, small runoff creeks, etc.
Here's a few photos-

Jaxx
03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Wow, nice TR. First permit of the year gives you some braggin rights :2thumbs: Thanks for the awesome pics, I can't wait to get out. How did your new stuff work out?

accadacca
03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
I like it.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/files/img_0317.jpg

Nice report. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
03-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Excellent write up. :cool2:

mattl
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
We had some pretty nice weather move in for a few days last week so I thought I ought to do a shakedown walk to try out some new gear-a pack, stove, some clothes, etc. I went down the snow covered Shafer Trail, spent two nights along the White Rim and came out at the Lathrop Trail with a two mile hike along the park road back to my car. About 28 miles total, including some short side hikes. The Rangers said I was the first backcountry permit issued at I-Sky this year so I didn't figure on seeing anybody else, but as it turned out, a pair of mtn. bikers came down Shafer the 2nd day out and were doing the entire rim in a 3 day trip. No matter, I had a great time, temps were about 50ish during the day and just above freezing at night. Water was everywhere, potholes, runoff ponds, small runoff creeks, etc.
Here's a few photos-

that looks like a very small back pack.
details.
oh nice pictures.
its making me jealous

denaliguide
03-04-2008, 07:45 PM
stunning photos!!

Mtnman1830
03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I am green with envy :mrgreen:

slickrocker
03-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks for taking a look everyone.
The pack is an Osprey Atmos 65. I really needed to upgrade and update my pack situation and the Atmos is going to be a great 3 season, 2-3 night pack for me. It was just incredibly comfortable.
The rangers had no info on the water situation on the White Rim so I hauled 3 liters down with me just in case, but I was 99% sure I'd find plenty. The pack weighed 32 lbs when I started and 24 lbs at the end. A far cry from my usual 40 lbs - 33 lbs of the past.
I decided to switch from canister to alcohol stoves as well and the pepsi can stove I made worked like a charm.
I'm hoping to get out again next week.