PDA

View Full Version : Cortech mini tank bag

Mtnbiker
03-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking at tank bags and thought I'd get your opinion too. Have you had any experience with the Cortech Mini magnetic?

This is my first tank bag, and I'm looking at a smallish bag for every day riding for small items, and also something that expands a little bit to stuff in a windbreaker/sandwich/camera, etc for longer trips.. I like the clear map cover too. (I really don't want a big hulking bag up front though.. I'll carry luggage on the back)

Any pros/cons on magnetic mount bags? It seems to have a relatively soft surface so as to not scratch the paint. Do you have to tether it to your bar anyway as a safety precaution?

comments? suggestions? Thanks!
Ian

accadacca
03-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Mine is magnetic and it has worked great. I'll have to check the brand, cant remember.

double moo
03-05-2008, 08:05 AM
I'm sorry for not keeping up... but what bike are you planning to put this on?

My son has a Rapid Transit magnetic tank bag on his V-Strom that I like better than my BMW bag. I had an IPod holder on the front that allows you to work the controls through the clear cover. Said he got it at the BMW shop in N. SL. (Accolade).

http://rapid-transit.com/rt/products.cfm?products_id=639

Moo

Mtnbiker
03-06-2008, 10:48 PM
yah, I'm on a V-strom too. This weekend should be nice so I'm going to a few different stores to try some on for size.

Keep ya posted...

double moo
03-07-2008, 05:55 PM
You on the V or the Wee?

Last weekend I helped the boy do some maintenance and also installed heated grips on it. Work was easy and straight forward except for getting off the side panels to the faring! We looked at various sites online, dowloaded the manual, etc... 2-1/2 hours later we successfully got it off. I could do it in 5 minutes now... but that first time is a bitch. There are hidden fasteners and such that are easy to see how they work after getting them off - but a killer to figure out the first time!

Air filter in under the tank... you need to take off some of the fairing to get to get the tank off. Also the radiator has to hinge upwards to allow access to the front spark plug - don't even try it without the supplied hinged spark plug tool!

All-in-all not bad to work on... if you have hints!!

moo

Mtnbiker
03-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Whew.. long week at work and never got to check back in witcha.

I'm on the Vee.. no complaints, and I really like the bike. I also did heated grips last fall and the end result is definitely worth it but it was a pain taking everything apart to get the wiring done. As you guys may remember I had some issues with the grips shorting out.. and figured out that for some reason they just can't be run on high. The low setting is more than warm enough though so I've just wired a rocker switch to the low circuit only. Works like a charm!

I never got to try on tank bags last weekend.. I opted to just get some miles in instead so I cruised up to Alta, and it was so nice to get out in the sunshine! What a difference a week makes... last week it was 55 and today I had knee deep powder all day at Solitude :2thumbs:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get that cortech bag though.. I'll write a review after I get it.

double moo
03-17-2008, 07:21 PM
We riding in April or not???