PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS Rebel XSi

JP
03-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Any take on Canon's new DSLR?

sparker1
03-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Haven't seen the specifics on this one, but the previous model was pretty darn good and a great value.

PhotoHound
03-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Eh, whatever it is (and I haven't seen the specs yet either), it will probably be best to wait for the next model after. With the latest dSLR offerings Nikon has pretty much leapfrogged Canon as far as quality/performance. Canon got caught taking the slow road up the mountain (like most companies, just trying to milk as much as they can out of each and every possible variance of their product/technology) and Nikon decided to move faster to try to take the top spot and passed them by. I'm sure Canon won't take that for very long though, and will start releasing better products in the next go-around...maybe...

JP
03-03-2008, 11:48 AM
and a great value.
Looks like it will be around $800

Check out the Canon website :popcorn:

hcraighall
03-05-2008, 07:51 PM
From what I've read online regarding the xti and xsi, I'm thinking that the jump from xti to xsi is not all that significant as far as image quality.

I'm probably going to get an xti at the lower price and spend the extra money on good lenses.

Hoping the xti goes down even more once the xsi comes out.

Just my two cents.

DiscGo
09-06-2008, 10:30 AM
I finally got my xsi. So far, I'm loving it.

JP
09-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Well, let's see some friggin' pics :haha: I don't mean any of family, step into the great outdoors and use it :haha:

R
09-07-2008, 08:51 AM
From what I've read online regarding the xti and xsi, I'm thinking that the jump from xti to xsi is not all that significant as far as image quality.

I'm probably going to get an xti at the lower price and spend the extra money on good lenses.

Hoping the xti goes down even more once the xsi comes out.

Just my two cents.

In terms of real-world quality, there is no difference in these two models. For one thing, the "kit" lens that is so popular with cameras like this is completely inadequate for image sensors in this class. Saving money for better lenses is an excellent idea. The other thing is that almost no one makes prints large enough for a huge sensor to even matter. I shoot my personal stuff with the 5-year-old Nikon D100, and my 13x18 display prints look terrific. You practically have to make a wall mural before you would need more resolution.

On the other hand, if you spend a lot of time reading dpreview.com and looking at your images at 100% in Photoshop to find flaws like chromatic abberation, and you feel oddly threatened when you see someone with a camera newer than yours, you probably need to upgrade right now. And every six months.

:soapbox:

DiscGo
09-07-2008, 11:36 AM
On the other hand, if you spend a lot of time reading dpreview.com and looking at your images at 100% in Photoshop to find flaws like chromatic abberation, and you feel oddly threatened when you see someone with a camera newer than yours, you probably need to upgrade right now. And every six months.

:soapbox:

:haha:

DiscGo
09-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Well, let's see some friggin' pics :haha: I don't mean any of family, step into the great outdoors and use it :haha:

My first few hours with the camera were just one blurry picture after another. This is my first SLR, and I have a lot to figure out before I will feel comfortable taking any real pictures with it.

Everything I read when camera shopping basically said: If you already have the XTI don't upgrade to the XSI, but if you are going to buy one now, you should buy the XSI. So that is what I did, and I'm just starting to figure out the feature.

If you guys lived closer I'd make you show me how to use it :)

JP
09-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Reading the owners manual will give you the basics, head out to the bookstore and grab a book on digital photography. If there is a place around you that offers a class, go take it. They can be very informative. Stop by your local camera shop and they'll be able to tell you about some classes.

Photography is a beautiful thing. :2thumbs:

If you're getting blurry shots and have it set to the camera's features such as the "Landscape" mode, you could be pressing on the shutter button too hard causing you to move the camera a bit too much. If you're on a manual setting, you might be having a tad bit longer shutter delay, allowing for more light to enter. Your pics will be blurry then as well. Under the "Sports" feature, you shouldn't be having an issue with blurry pics with subtle movements.

R
09-07-2008, 12:52 PM
My first few hours with the camera were just one blurry picture after another.

You can always fall back on "green box" mode until you get comfortable with the complex features. When the mode dial on the top of the camera is set on the green box, the camera is in total program mode, auto everything. It sets shutter speed, aperture, focus mode, white balance, ISO, and even pops up the built-in flash if it decides it needs more light. In a couple of days you'll never want to use the green box again, but it's a good fall-back when you want to hand your camera to Aunt Mildred at the reunion. :nod:

shameem007
06-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Looks like it will be around $800

Check out the Canon website