PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Nutrition Information

Alex
02-29-2008, 01:54 PM
So I am doing this fitness program and after busting my ass for a week I began to appreciate the right food. But now I am just wondering do you guys have any specific sites where you can get Nutrition Information about the local restaurants.

I have found the FastFood places and chain restaurants, but nothing on smaller restaurants that I like to eat at. The specific ones I am looking for are:

Bombay House
Rocky Mountain Pizza
Maple Express
Jasmine

Any clues/ideas? This is my first time trying to eat the right kind of food.

Jaxx
02-29-2008, 02:22 PM
If you have to ask then it isn't good for you. I have found that really there is no good way to eat out and like the food. Even salads are pure crap.

Alex
02-29-2008, 02:25 PM
So what do you suggest? Bring it from home?

Jaxx
02-29-2008, 02:28 PM
yep. That is what I decided. That way you know what is in it.

Mooseman70
02-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Eat healthy, excercise........ die anyways.

As for me - I'll be enjoying whatever food I decide to dig into! :haha:

tanya
02-29-2008, 04:45 PM
I like Applebees when I am watching calories... Near the back page of the menu there is a whole list of choices of honestly low calorie foods.

http://cdn.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=13601

accadacca
02-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Hope this helps you out Alex. :haha:

Nutrition Facts (http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.index1.html#0)

Cirrus2000
02-29-2008, 10:42 PM
For me it's about the sodium. My blood pressure's been creeping up over the years. The last year it's been hovering around 135/85 or so. Recently hit 138/90. That's reaching hypertension levels.

Went on a calorie and sodium watching regimen 5 weeks ago. I'm down 16 pounds, and the BP is 114/74 last time I gave blood (2 weeks ago). Pretty darn pleased. 15 more pounds (goal is 180) and I'll be ecstatic!

The biggest thing for me is no longer buying my meals when I'm at work. I've also switched to the lower fat/sodium products at Starbucks on breaks. Starbucks, Subway, Taco Del Mar, etc. - they all have pretty good nutrition information online. Read it!

I now make my own sodium free bread, buns and pizza shells. No more packaged sauces etc. Make my own salsa and pizza sauce, my own Indian meals (chana masala, paneer makhani, palak paneer, etc.) to eat with unsalted rice. Processed cheese is right out, and cutting way back on other cheeses.

Read labels. You will be stunned at how much sodium you consume. Soups, tomato sauce, salsa, etc. It is in everything that is processed, unless you find products that specifically say otherwise. Sodium will kill you! Most people with hypertension don't even know they have it...

I work 316 stairs above the entrance door, and I now walk up at least 2 and up to 5 times per day.

Fitter, lighter, healthier.

Here endeth the sermon. OK, getting off the soapbox now. :soapbox: :pope:

accadacca
03-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Natural stress will take the pounds off. . .yep it works. :roll:

rockgremlin
03-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm guessing ANYTHING on the menu at Rocky Mountain Pizza would be off limits if you're watching your calorie intake.

trackrunner
03-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Bombay House

Indian food FTMFW. Bombay House is sooooooo good. And just because it's good does not mean it is bad for you. Honestly how many people in India are overweight?

Sorry I do not know about the nutrition facts though. By law the big national chains have to calculate nutrition information and provide it if customer's request. But the small places do not. You could try to contact them though about how it is prepared (i.e. lard, fried, salt, sugar, etc.). I've always found the staff helpful.

http://www.bombayhouse.com/contactus.html

For Rocky Mountain Pizza I'd base it off other pizza nutrition facts that can be easily found. But I bet you it is not that healthy.

Cirrus2000
03-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Bombay House

Indian food FTMFW. Bombay House is sooooooo good. And just because it's good does not mean it is bad for you. Honestly how many people in India are overweight?

The problem is that a lot of the time Indian is fried in ghee - super high in saturated fats. Even if the food itself is not fried, the spice mixture, onions, tomatoes often are. There is also a lot of butter used in things like butter chicken (imagine that!). Breads like paratha and puri are very high in fats, being fried. Roti should be lower, as they're baked, but then they're often slathered in ghee or butter... Most Indian food can be very healthy, but usually you'd have to make it yourself. Restaurants don't generally want the food to be healthy, they want it to be tasty - so you come back again and again.