PDA

View Full Version : Where is this?

Nick Danger
02-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Anyone know where this marker is located (trail name, location, ...)?

Nick Danger, Third Eye

Iceaxe
02-29-2008, 08:28 AM
There was a trail marker with that symbol in Nevada's Valley of Fire on the Petroglyph Canyon / Mouse's Tank trail.

Not sure if it's the same one. It's been 7 or 8 years since I was last in Valley of Fire. I have been tolds the symbol mean's water (tank) nearby, don't know if that's true.

Good hunting.

JP
02-29-2008, 08:33 AM
I have been tolds the symbol mean's water (tank) nearby
Looks like the handy work of a drunken termite :haha:

Iceaxe
02-29-2008, 03:57 PM
The symbol is really common in petrogylphs. You see it a lot. Sometime the spiral is clockwise and sometimes counter. My wife is big into rock art and she has tried to figure out if the direction of the spiral has any meaning. She has a theroy that one diection means up and the other down.... but that is really nothing but a WAG.

sparker1
02-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Agree that this is often seen in rock art. I was in Valley of Fire just last spring and hiked the trail Ice mentioned. Unfortunately, I don't recall seeing the wooden marker. Doesn't mean it's not there, I may have just missed it.

Iceaxe
03-01-2008, 08:37 AM
It was on the left (north) side of the trail just before you make the 90 degree turn and drop down to mouse's tank. The sign was off the trail a little bit (20 feet?) and hard to see as it is small. The main reason to locate the sign on the way to Mouse's Tank is it guards some poor petrogylphs. And as I said, it's been a number of years since I was last there so I could be completely wrong.

Felicia
03-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Yup! Shane is right. :2thumbs:

We were there a couple of weeks ago and did that hike. Very nice area.

Iceaxe
03-01-2008, 09:24 AM
And last night my wife told me I was getting senile because I could remember anything....

:lol8:

Nick Danger
03-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback.

Rented mule
03-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Ahhh! Petroglyphs? There's one of those in a slickrock area on top of Snow Canyon's West Rim Trail. After you pass by the West rim overlook, you keep walking down the jeep trail and back up through the sand for half mile. One of these markers is in the sandy trail. Must signify that petros or pictos are in the area? Hmmm will have to look more carefully next time.