PDA

View Full Version : Bowfishing

Gutpiler_Utahn
02-27-2008, 01:32 AM
After reading that the govt is going to remove lots and lots of carp from Utah Lake, it got me to thinking. If there is really that many carp to remove, maybe I could do a little bowfishing before they start and have a bit of fun.

My bow is still in KS, though I'll be bringing home after my family reunion in March. Once I get it all tuned, maybe a new string on it, I'm thinkin I'd like to try my hand at bowfishing. I tried it once long long ago and wound up with a rather nasty cut on my hand and a snapped bowstring. :roll: I didn't have a reel and nobody to really teach me how NOT to do it. So, I got a fishing arrow, tied some 30lb braided line to the back and went to it. The reel the line was attached to was still on my fishing rod. It was a spinning reel and figured it would do a well enough job. To this day, I don't know if it would have worked. I had my scouting buddy (I was 16) stand next to me with the fishing rod while I shot. He decided he couldn't see well enough and walked around behind me. When I shot, the braided line was running across the bowstring and my hand and slit me right open and cut the bowstring like it was nothin. Took me a couple minutes to piece it all together but when I did hoo boy was I mad. :popcorn: My own fault though. Shoulda done better research before trying it. :ne_nau:

So how bout it... anybody here have any experience with it? Let's hear what you've seen and done. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
03-18-2008, 06:56 PM
I've always wanted to try it. I remember trying when I was a kid with a little childsize bow and arrow, but the arrows just bounced off of the carp. :haha:

packfish
04-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Screw the reel- no need for it.