PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Another Winter Day in Zion - East Rim Trail to Echo Canyon

Bo_Beck
02-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Tanya hiking up the East Rim Trail and the other is of her standing in front of Echo Canyon

Bo_Beck
02-25-2008, 11:22 PM
East Rim Trail

Bo_Beck
02-25-2008, 11:26 PM
:popcorn:

Bo_Beck
02-25-2008, 11:31 PM

oldno7
02-26-2008, 06:48 AM
nice pics Bo, I'm getting tired of snow in Zion :frustrated:

Scout Master
02-26-2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks BO
We never get tired of seeing the most beautiful sight in Zion

tanya
02-26-2008, 07:03 AM
You made my day! :nod:

Bo_Beck
02-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks BO
We never get tired of seeing the most beautiful sight in Zion

I knew that everyone would appreciate these shots! Thanks Tanya for being such a beautiful subject! :2thumbs:

tanya
02-26-2008, 07:21 AM
How sweet :nod:

tanya
02-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Bo! To swim or not to swim?

tanya
02-26-2008, 09:34 AM

Win
02-26-2008, 10:53 AM
What a great day you had! The pictures are terrific of both of you but Tanya is definitely more photogenic. Sorry, Bo.

Win

Felicia
02-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Wonderful pictures!!! What a wonderful way to spend a Monday.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the sights and shared them with us. :nod:

Thanks!

(where to next?) :popcorn:

tanya
02-26-2008, 08:34 PM
After hiking Sunday in the rain and seeing the weather forcast for bright pretty blue skies on Monday ------ I had to go! Bo got out of work and it ended up being a great day of hiking and photo taking!

Next is South Canyon to Vasey's Paradise. So far everyone that was going to go beside Bo and I has backed out. Want to go? :popcorn:

It's a rough day though... hike from the rim into the canyon.. down to the river and then back out of the canyon. Its one of my favorite hikes. Its redoing that hike we did not have time to finish the other day.

and...

Thanks Win :five:

tanya
02-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Ouch! I look REALLY bad on this cheap computer screen at work. :mrgreen:

Rented mule
02-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Using Crampons? for the ice?
What a treat! Great pictures! Enjoy Zion snow while you can....Spring is coming.....fast!
We're going to maybe have some great flow in lots of Zion's drainages.
The subway can look like a raging highway of water flying around the turns. Those blackbirds, what are they? that set on the rocks and bob bob bob and then, jump into the drink and come up way down stream and fly up and do it over and over again? Bunting? Sort of a dark bluish tinted blackbird? That's what I want to be in my next life....hehe

Win
02-27-2008, 05:30 AM
RM, those birds are "Dippers", and really are funny to watch. When were in the park on Sunday we stood and watched one for about 10 minutes. I guess they're catching larvae or something else that is floating down.

Win

One from Sunday, no telephoto with me:

http://www.fototime.com/12EA656B37FCF6B/standard.jpg

tanya
02-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Using Crampons? for the ice?
What a treat! Great pictures! Enjoy Zion snow while you can....Spring is coming.....fast!
We're going to maybe have some great flow in lots of Zion's drainages.
The subway can look like a raging highway of water flying around the turns. Those blackbirds, what are they? that set on the rocks and bob bob bob and then, jump into the drink and come up way down stream and fly up and do it over and over again? Bunting? Sort of a dark bluish tinted blackbird? That's what I want to be in my next life....hehe

These were quite the crampons too --- They were not even bad in a rare spots without snow and ice. Echo was so pretty with all that water and it too was rushing like crazy.... I just hope it cleans out in there rather than holds water and it gets yucky. That is such a pretty canyon!

tanya
02-27-2008, 06:41 AM
RM, those birds are "Dippers", and really are funny to watch. When were in the park on Sunday we stood and watched one for about 10 minutes. I guess they're catching larvae or something else that is floating down.

Win

One from Sunday, no telephoto with me:

http://www.fototime.com/12EA656B37FCF6B/standard.jpg

I am jealous! With all the hours and years I have spent in Zion I have only seen one of those before! Very cool shot!

Randi
02-27-2008, 08:26 AM
You guys are wearing crampons?

Anybody ever heard of/used these? And more importantly, do they work OK? I'm thinking of buying a pair.

http://www.yaktrax.com/productspro.aspx

Nice pics Bo. I've gotta get out there to Zion during Snowy conditions!
I just love winter scenery. Tanya, you look great too! :nod:

tanya
02-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks.... Bo would know. He sells those and I think has worn them. We were spoiled and has the SAR tracks on. Those were heavy duty and nice!!!

Bo_Beck
02-27-2008, 11:22 AM

Anybody ever heard of/used these? And more importantly, do they work OK? I'm thinking of buying a pair.

I've been using these mostly this winter. They stay put on your shoes and they work on Ice, snow, rock and concrete :haha:

http://www.kahtoola.com/kts_aluminum.html

The steel version will last longer if you plan a lot of mixed travel though.

Randi
02-27-2008, 11:54 AM

I've been using these mostly this winter. They stay put on your shoes and they work on Ice, snow, rock and concrete :haha:

http://www.kahtoola.com/kts_aluminum.html

The steel version will last longer if you plan a lot of mixed travel though.

Thanks Bo. Those look super, but I'm not looking to outlay much cash for something "serious" as those, just yet. I'm thinking bout coming out and doing winter hike in Zion, and just wonder (after seeing your photos) if it would be prudent to have something other than plain rubber soles for traction. The thought crossed my mind to bring snowshoes with me.
Maybe both? Snowshoes and shoe cables?

I can't wait to get out into not so sunny weather! :snowcloud:
It's 80 degrees here! :hair: ~ I am not a fan of hot weather!

Bo_Beck
02-27-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks Bo. Those look super, but I'm not looking to outlay much cash for something "serious" as those, just yet. I'm thinking bout coming out and doing winter hike in Zion, and just wonder (after seeing your photos) if it would be prudent to have something other than plain rubber soles for traction. The thought crossed my mind to bring snowshoes with me.

Yeah, they are pretty spendy! They way the weather is going right now you may not even need long pants! I think the snow is melting pretty rapidly, but crampons will sure be useful up higher! I do have YakTrax as well. If you are on your way up, stop by and I can get you set up. I also have a pair of personal Kahtoolas that you would be welcome to borrow.

Randi
02-27-2008, 12:14 PM

Yeah, they are pretty spendy! They way the weather is going right now you may not even need long pants! I think the snow is melting pretty rapidly, but crampons will sure be useful up higher! I do have YakTrax as well. If you are on your way up, stop by and I can get you set up. I also have a pair of personal Kahtoolas that you would be welcome to borrow.

Thanks. I hope the snow holds out!
I haven't decided yet, but I've been thinking of doing the cable mountain (loop) hike with an overnight.
But maybe you could recommend a couple of other hikes to check out?
I was thinking next weekend or the following.

Do you have a favorite overhight hike that involves trail hiking and great views?

Thanks for the gear offer. That's nice of you.
I might take you up on that if it works out! :mrgreen:

~Randi

Rented mule
02-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks, Win! Dippers are cool! They just look like they're having way too much fun doing it!

Rented mule
02-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi, Tanya, Bo! Could I maybe borrow those CRAMPONS

to AEREATE my yard this spring? hehe jerry

Now, there's a business opp for someone and a great way to get some exercise, too! :haha:

Bo_Beck
02-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks. I hope the snow holds out!
I haven't decided yet, but I've been thinking of doing the cable mountain (loop) hike with an overnight.
But maybe you could recommend a couple of other hikes to check out?
I was thinking next weekend or the following.

Do you have a favorite overhight hike that involves trail hiking and great views?

Thanks for the gear offer. That's nice of you.
I might take you up on that if it works out! :mrgreen:

~Randi

Randi, I'm not too sure that the high country in Zion will be too agreeable without both crampons and snowshoes this weekend or next. If you don't mind plugging along, then the highcountry might be just the ticket. If I were wanting to get out for an overnighter with some great views, and didn't mind camping on the snow, I would get a set of crampons and try to beat my way up to the saddle that separates Pine Creek from Spry Canyon. There are some level areas on top of the saddle that would yield to some comfortable camping, dayhiking from the saddle down to some frozen streams in Spry and yet not too vigorous to take it all out of you. Just my idea of a good overnighter...minimal effort, nice views and less snow to deal with. I would still bring yaktrax or some sort of foot traction to thwart any dicey spots. I may be wrong, but just an opinion and plan I might try.