PDA

View Full Version : Animals in the desert???

The Dude
02-24-2008, 08:46 PM
What animals should I be aware of in the desert besides the obvious snake, or insects like spiders? Are mountain lions in the desert? I believe bobcats are, right? Coyotes?

What are the most to be feared?

We just did Horseshoe Canyon and on our way out, we heard a VERY loud roar that sounded more like something you would hear from a bear, not a scream from a cat-like animal. Just made me wonder what could be out there.

denaliguide
02-24-2008, 09:02 PM
doubt that you need to fear any of them. its the old story that they are more afraid of you. i've spent hundreds of nights camped in the desert, lots of them solo, and never had any bad experiences. i do always shake out my boots before putting them on though, just looking for scorpions. be smart about where you put your feet and hands when scrambling and you won't have any problems with snakes or bugs.

mountain lions are probably the shyest animal out there and coyotes are the biggest chickens. saw 3 coyotes when i was coming out of grand gulch last year and the minute they spotted me they were off over the hill. and i was a long ways from them.

The Dude
02-24-2008, 10:07 PM
doubt that you need to fear any of them. its the old story that they are more afraid of you. i've spent hundreds of nights camped in the desert, lots of them solo, and never had any bad experiences. i do always shake out my boots before putting them on though, just looking for scorpions. be smart about where you put your feet and hands when scrambling and you won't have any problems with snakes or bugs.

mountain lions are probably the shyest animal out there and coyotes are the biggest chickens. saw 3 coyotes when i was coming out of grand gulch last year and the minute they spotted me they were off over the hill. and i was a long ways from them.

Thanks for the info. So, there are indeed mountain lions, bobcats, and coyotes out there, correct? I wonder what it could have been that we heard. I'm not delerious. both my wife and clearly heard a "roar" of some kind. Enough to freak us out and high-tail it out of the canyon.

rockgremlin
02-25-2008, 06:34 AM
During the summer months I would be a little wary of rattlers...but just watch where you step, and where you put your hands if climbing or scrambling. Also like denaliguide said...always check your boots before putting them on in the summertime because scorpions like to hide there.

During the winter months the rattlers are hibernating, and the scorpions are all dead so step out with confidence. All other desert predators are terrified of humans and will flee at first glimpse...especially if you're ugly. :haha:

I wonder what it could have been that we heard. I'm not delerious. both my wife and clearly heard a "roar" of some kind. Enough to freak us out and high-tail it out of the canyon.

Are you sure your wife hadn't been eating chili just prior to your hike?

CarpeyBiggs
02-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the info. So, there are indeed mountain lions, bobcats, and coyotes out there, correct? I wonder what it could have been that we heard. I'm not delerious. both my wife and clearly heard a "roar" of some kind. Enough to freak us out and high-tail it out of the canyon.

Depends on what part of the desert, but mountain lions would be rare. Typically I think they'd need to be found around concentrations of other big game, like deer or maybe pronghorn or bighorn. So in the high desert, their population would be slim. They are so scared of humans, that it is very rare to see them. In fact, the only way most people will ever see them is if they get treed by trained dogs.

Only way I can see a lion roaring at you is if they have just had newborns, and you inadvertently walked by their den. You would definitely get a nice hello at that point. Lions can attack humans in rare situations, but generally they are so stealthy and skittish, you'll never come close. I've never seen a big cat in the desert. Only once in the Wasatch.

Probably not worth losing sleep over.

The Dude
02-25-2008, 06:53 AM
[quote=Are you sure your wife hadn't been eating chili just prior to your hike?[/quote]

LOL! Believe me, I wish it had just been from previous chili eating. It was clearly an animal and it was a roar of some kind. We were the only ones in the canyon that day, so we know it wasn't someone pulling a prank. It was odd.

trackrunner
02-25-2008, 11:02 AM
The only major reason you have to fear animals is because you gave them a reason to confront you. Most hate humans and want to stay away. Don't carelessly leave your food out attracting animals, walk up to a mother with her young, or walk up to one eating after a kill.

Iceaxe
02-25-2008, 01:15 PM

The most dangerous animal on the planet is Man.

:cool2:

Mtnman1830
02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Maybe it was a sasquatch

http://www.oregonbigfoot.com/sounds/ORBF_Klamath.mp3

Scott Card
02-26-2008, 08:56 AM

Nah. I'm afraid of no man and only two women, my mother and my wife. :haha:

Deathcricket
02-26-2008, 09:25 AM
You know this might be a stupid response. But when I first moved out here I heard a deer doing it's mating call and it scared the crap outta me.
It's the wrong season but maybe it was a deer? I found something close to what I heard, ignore the gay music in the background didnt have a lot of time to search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvr0tz0fzvQ&feature=related

stefan
02-26-2008, 09:38 AM
What animals should I be aware of in the desert besides the obvious snake, or insects like spiders? Are mountain lions in the desert? I believe bobcats are, right? Coyotes?

i dunno, so cows in relatively narrow canyons kinda spook me. they're a force of nature and they react to human presence. so in a kinda narrow canyon (like the tributaries of the escalante) you can find yourself face to face with a cow. now competing with their mass and momentum, should they charge, is kinda frightening to think about, but i usually feel it's really unlikely to happen (sort of the imp of the perverse thing really).

but what really gets me, is when these cows get spooked by your presence, they start stamping around, running up slopes of dirt, tearing up the vegetation in the process. they're such strong creatures they can do some serious damage. i am remembering on particular time in lower scorpion gulch in the escalante, where the cow kept running all over the place, covering a huge area, pushing through trees, tearing through the slopes along the canyon walls. all this in such an intimate, narrow canyon really caught my attention

We just did Horseshoe Canyon and on our way out, we heard a VERY loud roar that sounded more like something you would hear from a bear, not a scream from a cat-like animal. Just made me wonder what could be out there.

oh, that was us, sorry to scare you. we'll try to keep it down next time. :haha:

stefan
02-26-2008, 09:39 AM

word

asdf
02-26-2008, 11:13 AM
I am going to agree with Stefan cows are big and scary :haha: I have ran into quite a few down south.
The Wife and I were hiking out of upper Eardley Canyon in the dark and walked right into a group wild donkeys ... one of them got pretty upset and charged us. We hid behind a tree and just circled... it just keep HEEEYAAAH'ing and digging its hoofs into the ground.

what evil things :roflol:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/128/357716857_ac126c5b81.jpg

RedRoxx
02-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I've seen lots of animals, some up close. Last saw a mountain lion from about 12 feet away peeking at me from behind a boulder in the Santa Teresa Mtns here in az. Laughed when later research yielded " this small wilderness is known to have the most dense mountain lion population in Az"
Several bear sightings, lots of deer, some wild horse, burro ( mainly Death Valley area) coatimundi, ringtail, lots of rattlesnakes ( usually in cave entrances) etc.
Never bothered me. Most animals are more afraid of you than anything. Use common sense and keep a clean camp and you should be ok. Keep eyes and ears open. Trouble comes when you startle a wild animal and it has no way out.

Cows--raised on a farm. One of my best memories is hiking with a friend into the Galiuro wilderness. A large red bull of mixed heritage used to frequent this one trail, he was locked out at the wilderness boundary but he never seemed to learn, and this was a narrow sidehill trail. He was blocking it as we came down and looked at us with some attitude. I whacked his rump with my trekking pole and he moved on out. My friend thought we were going to be gored and be dead. If the rump tap wouldn't work a nose tap will.

Rented mule
02-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Rattlesnakes when the temp is over ninety for the day and at dusk is my best (worst) time to see them. Many times, they don't rattle. Some are open for business! I see about 4 per year in Southern Utah, Arizona, Nevada. Usually around dusk. So, I try and shorten my hikes these days.
Ran up on one and it had no choice as I lumbered practically on it on a dead run to get back to the truck to keep a dinner date:
It struck my trek pole, I shreaked like a nine year old girl, made a whooping sound like a howler monkey and in a jerk reaction, flung the snake into a manzanita bush and got a major case of Heebie-jeebies
I've seen an MRI for the Heebie Jeebies and it ain't pretty....

was late for dinner, too...sh**

Oh, yeah! snake...sure.....um.....hummmm :mrgreen:

Be aware, come prepared, and enjoy the trek. More chance of getting seriously injured just driving to the TH. cheers!

p.s. coyotes are babies....